• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Dr. Juice said:
Yeah, because Contador is a mediocre flat TTist when in good shape. :rolleyes:

Judging from last year, Froome would have stomped him. The Vuelta organizers couldn't know he would step up his program another couple of levels until after they set the course, so of course they don't want to take a chance.

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Walkman said:
Judging from last year, Froome would have stomped him. The Vuelta organizers couldn't know he would step up his program another couple of levels until after they set the course, so of course they don't want to take a chance.

You know that does not belong here... :rolleyes:

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Walkman said:

That's why I say in good shape. Which he was almost always except 2013. I won't measure Froome's TT ability on the basis of this years Vuelta or Vuelta 2012 either. They were not pan flat, but in great form he should win or at least come close.

Just as Contador in top form might come close to win a slightly ondulated TT like last week ( good but not great form in this Vuelta) and be in the top 5-6 in a flat TT ( Froome top 3 when top shape).

50 km flat TT and both at their best and you'll see Froome 2nd or 3rd some 30-40 seconds behind Martin with Contador 5th or 6th another 30-45 sec back.
When both are out of shape no one shines in a TT.

Without arguing about little differences here and there, but Contador =! Valverde, who loses a LOT of time as soon as the TT is flat and has a decent lenght.

Edit: If you really want to say they have influenced the parcours - to the advantage of Valverde and Purito. Now if you say, well at the end of 2013 nobody knew... if Contador is in form like 2013 then nothing can help him win. No route.

Another good performance from Froome today, it's a pity he didn't have the form in last weeks TT or we would have had an epic showdown for red on Saturday. Either way it should still be a good stage, Froome seems like he was actually telling the truth when he said he wanted to ride into form by week 3.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sir fly said:
Looks like Froome feels good keeping high pace on the climbs. The changes of rhythm are what's he struggling with.
The Saturday's profile bodes well for him.

good observation on the change of pace. When Contador and buddies got frisky they chopped that lead down instantly. As for any profile favoring him...I think Contador was playing everyone today. He's got plenty left.

Oldman said:
good observation on the change of pace. When Contador and buddies got frisky they chopped that lead down instantly. As for any profile favoring him...I think Contador was playing everyone today. He's got plenty left.
I don't mean it'll favor him, jut it won't bother him.
Anyway, what's good for Froome- it's good for Contador, it appears. I agree.

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I thought that was pretty good from Froome yesterday. More than anything, I'm pleased he's still trying to gain time - he's making a good race of it. I think it's going to be closer than I thought it would a week ago.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Watching this Vuelta I have new respect for Chris Froome. Dude is nails pure and simple. I cant remember a rider with such confidence and discipline and commitment to his own tempo in a grand tour. Amazing ride.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Random thought but I dont think Froome is looking at data when he is looking down so often especially during an attack. I believe its to become more aerodynamic, although maybe thats minimal difference in drag? Its probably become a habit now. I just watched his attack on Stage 2 at the Dauphine and this is what I saw

contador977 said:
Random thought but I dont think Froome is looking at data when he is looking down so often especially during an attack. I believe its to become more aerodynamic, although maybe thats minimal difference in drag? Its probably become a habit now. I just watched his attack on Stage 2 at the Dauphine and this is what I saw

The infamous Dr. Ferrari seems to think that it is a breathing technique and I'm inclined to agree. The frequency of the his head bobbing up and down seems to correspond more with that as being the reason than his being that obsessed with his SRM.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
Watching this Vuelta I have new respect for Chris Froome. Dude is nails pure and simple. I cant remember a rider with such confidence and discipline and commitment to his own tempo in a grand tour. Amazing ride.

Yes, true - now if I JUST had not grown to dislike him so much - - -

:D

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
The infamous Dr. Ferrari seems to think that it is a breathing technique and I'm inclined to agree. The frequency of the his head bobbing up and down seems to correspond more with that as being the reason than his being that obsessed with his SRM.

Are we getting confused with the belly breathing technique here? I'm petty sure Froome is just racing on data honestly, and wants to maintain sustainable numbers. While it makes for dull racing, it's obviously effective with a train riding on Their threshold. Plus some jackasses put their had down a lot when riding

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Nice try again today,but not enough,Contador unbeatable in this moment.Anyway props for Froome,i like his aggressive style,always attacking regardless of consequences.Froome needs to find his 2013 form if he wants to win next TDF,because Contador is back to his best.