• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
froome is done for physically. sky's over the top training methods have killed him as predicted by saxo trainer few years back. same happened to number of youngsters. only since this year have they stopped their rigurous camps and it's showing with youngsters at least like boswell and I expected a strong sebastian henao in suisse.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
i had forgotten how much i dislike his style on the bike. how can a rider so awful to watch be one of the stronger is beyond my comprehension.

Ryo Hazuki said:
froome is done for physically. sky's over the top training methods have killed him as predicted by saxo trainer few years back. same happened to number of youngsters. only since this year have they stopped their rigurous camps and it's showing with youngsters at least like boswell and I expected a strong sebastian henao in suisse.

When Sky is at their best they win by wearing other teams down not by doing anything different or something tactical. When it's not working they look mediocre. I still think it's too early to write off Froome for the Tour but if I was a Contador fan I would be looking for a bookmaker. I think Nibali and Contador will be good for the Tour but I think there are more question marks about Froome and Quintana this year. I think Froome also looks better when Porte is with him.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

coppino said:
i had forgotten how much i dislike his style on the bike. how can a rider so awful to watch be one of the stronger is beyond my comprehension.
this so much. in 20 years of cycling I've seen a lot but froome's style is the only style that actually made me angry watching it. I can't even put it under words.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Froome's gearing at points looked comical. After one of TJ' attacks Froome was just spinning and going nowhere. He kept looking down.
He may have had a issue getting into a better gear but you have to use the right gear for the gradient and that was just embarrassing.
He seems to lack "racers instinct" Nibs is the exact opposite he has a natural feel for a race and how to use his ability to the best, Thats is the reason he has won the big 3. Sky rely to much on a plan. Froome can't seem to race with out it. He looked lost today.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

When Sky is at their best they win by wearing other teams down not by doing anything different or something tactical. When it's not working they look mediocre. I still think it's too early to write off Froome for the Tour but if I was a Contador fan I would be looking for a bookmaker. I think Nibali and Contador will be good for the Tour but I think there are more question marks about Froome and Quintana this year. I think Froome also looks better when Porte is with him.

what? the only rider that can win the tour is quintana. nibali and contador can never follow him. they can only hope to distance themselves in the cobbles but even that seems doubtful

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
movingtarget said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

what? the only rider that can win the tour is quintana. nibali and contador can never follow him. they can only hope to distance themselves in the cobbles but even that seems doubtful

LMAO, based on that tirreno stage right?

Re:

ray j willings said:
Froome's gearing at points looked comical. After one of TJ' attacks Froome was just spinning and going nowhere. He kept looking down.
He may have had a issue getting into a better gear but you have to use the right gear for the gradient and that was just embarrassing.
He seems to lack "racers instinct" Nibs is the exact opposite he has a natural feel for a race and how to use his ability to the best, Thats is the reason he has won the big 3. Sky rely to much on a plan. Froome can't seem to race with out it. He looked lost today.

Relax on the keyboard warfare there friend.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
movingtarget said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

LMAO, based on that tirreno stage right?
based on 2013 tour and the fact that quintana is a much better climber than any other currently in the peloton

Ryo Hazuki said:

Sebas is not riding Suisse unfortunately, also thought he was going to ride as I red something about him doing Suisse together with Sergio, guess he is going to do Slovenia now?

Ryo Hazuki said:

I dont rule that out...It will be interesting to see.

Ryo Hazuki said:
movingtarget said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

I quite agree, but the forst week will be very demanding for Quintana and if he is alive he will be tired.

The mountains stages with hard climbs are quite short, and the long ones are not so hard. But there is a good stage on the Pyrinees and I hope in climbs as Galibier, Croix de fer and Alp Huez that suit him well he can show his potential despite the short stages

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Walkman said:
ray j willings said:

Relax on the keyboard warfare there friend.

Just telling it like it is.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well today's stage was unexpected!! For once I saw Froome without his team and he was on his limit. What a crazy stage today. Yesterday, we just saw Nibali peeled off before the top, just to see him today attacking at some 100+km and grabbed the yellow jersey. In the process he dropped Froome as well. Tomorrow we'll see if Froome can bounce back.

Jelantik said:
well today's stage was unexpected!! For once I saw Froome without his team and he was on his limit. What a crazy stage today. Yesterday, we just saw Nibali peeled off before the top, just to see him today attacking at some 100+km and grabbed the yellow jersey. In the process he dropped Froome as well. Tomorrow we'll see if Froome can bounce back.

This is what I meant about Sky not having a plan B! If they don't succeed in their scientific mentality then they are fuched, irrespective of what else is going on, because they simply haven't got a clue: other than mobile hotels with anti-bacteria soap for health and "sleeping well!" How obscene can you get?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Jelantik said:

This is what I meant about Sky not having a plan B! If they don't succeed in their scientific mentality then they are fuched, irrespective of what else is going on, because they simply haven't got a clue: other than mobile hotels with anti-bacteria soap for health and "sleeping well!" How obscene can you get?

you made a good point. Sky seems to be off more these days. Not only they don't have plan B, but their riders seem to care more about jostling their rank in the team. Maybe they did boost their team with new climbing talent like konig, roche, poehls. But it seems to me those guys move there so they know what's the secret of sky training so they can move on to other team become a sole leader. Even their current rider looks to make sure they look for their own glory. Thomas said in his interview hinting that he would want to go for stage win glory. Nothing wrong with that of course. But it just shows they some ambitious riders who doesn't just want to work as domestique only. For now, sky doesn't seem together as a team and let alone improvise on the road. I don't believe they will be that strong like 2013/2012.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
That's what you can expect when you get so many good climbers and doms. In US postal, they only had to ride for Lance in the tour, then there was free pass all year around.

At SKY they have to work for Froome or Porte at allmost all stage races, and that means 0 WT points = low money contract.

Don't understand riders like Poels, Nieve and Roche. Why are they even at SKY? It's not like it's a big honour to work for Froome.

Both guys should be super doms, but should also have freedom in other races. Roche had it perfectly at Tinkoff Saxo.

Jelantik said:
rhubroma said:
Jelantik said:

you made a good point. Sky seems to be off more these days. Not only they don't have plan B, but their riders seem to care more about jostling their rank in the team. Maybe they did boost their team with new climbing talent like konig, roche, poehls. But it seems to me those guys move there so they know what's the secret of sky training so they can move on to other team become a sole leader. Even their current rider looks to make sure they look for their own glory. Thomas said in his interview hinting that he would want to go for stage win glory. Nothing wrong with that of course. But it just shows they some ambitious riders who doesn't just want to work as domestique only. For now, sky doesn't seem together as a team and let alone improvise on the road. I don't believe they will be that strong like 2013/2012.

The actual interview, and I quote:
Going into the Tour my main priority is doing a good job for Froomey,” he insists. “It depends how the race is going. If there are a few guys around him and somebody’s like ‘ah go on have a go yourself’, then I’d love to do that. If an opportunity does arise then I’d love to try and take it.”

Re:

cellardoor said:
Even Lance let his doms go for stage wins. I don't see Thomas thinking of a stage win as implying disharmony in the camp.

Not often. My memory is of Armstrong sitting behind his team who disappeared one by one. A lot like Sky when they drive at the front. Thomas would not be worried, he had plenty of chances earlier in the year. Contador's team were even less convincing in the Giro. I think we might be heading for an unpredictable Tour this year. Astana look the strongest but their tactics sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
cellardoor said:
Even Lance let his doms go for stage wins. I don't see Thomas thinking of a stage win as implying disharmony in the camp.

Not often. My memory is of Armstrong sitting behind his team who disappeared one by one. A lot like Sky when they drive at the front. Thomas would not be worried, he had plenty of chances earlier in the year. Contador's team were even less convincing in the Giro. I think we might be heading for an unpredictable Tour this year. Astana look the strongest but their tactics sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Well, hopefully no one team will be strong enough to control things and it will be chaos like in '06.

TRENDING THREADS