• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

mr. tibbs said:
Looked strong today. Not good (I hate how he looks on a bike--Paul even called it "scuttling" today in a neat little Freudian slip) but strong.

He may lose yellow tomorrow, but I expect he'll get it back in week two.

Ahaha that was a nice peice of commentary, "Froome's scuttling up the inside of the group." :D

Good ride by the explosive Froome.

Re:

Carols said:
Froome looks Very Strong!

Looks.. he sprinted yesterday with the best and put 4 second to Contador and today he was almost with Purito in HUy and put 18 seconds to contador in 1 km climb when he is not explosive.

I think that is not looks, he IS very strong.

He looked very strong last year in that second stage when he attacked, but now we can confim he is the stronger, no doubtk and Quintana maybe the second, Huy is not for him

Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Carols said:
Froome looks Very Strong!

Looks.. he sprinted yesterday with the best and put 4 second to Contador and today he was almost with Purito in HUy and put 18 seconds to contador in 1 km climb when he is not explosive.

I think that is not looks, he IS very strong.

He looked very strong last year in that second stage when he attacked, but now we can confim he is the stronger, no doubtk and Quintana maybe the second, Huy is not for him

What do you mean Froome isn't explosive??!! Of course he is. This isn't the first time he has done well on these steep gradients.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I wish the ghost of Pantani (oropa 99) would show up on one the climbs. And show everyone how it's done.

Sky launches an insane attack from Froome...yet something pink flashes by and counterattacks.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
Was it Thomas who shut down the gap for Froome when they nearly got caught out in the crosswinds? That was a big moment in this race. Astana, Tinkoff and Movistar all had numbers there with their leaders.

Roughly how many km were left when that split happened? I only saw the last 5km today

I can't remember exactly but I think it was 40km+ still to go.

Re:

MatParker117 said:
Well played today lead car on the pave.
Yes, my friend, clever boxing by the Top Dawg today
doing just enough to get the lead car and if he hadn't
been slowed when Tony Gallopin popped his clogs he'd
have been challenging for the stage win, but as you say
that was not the real objective, the team car positioning
for the cobbled stage was much more important. :)

KuJJDXN.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Froome the big winner today, now the clear favourite. For those interested, certainly a non empty set, I'm gonna keep posting the odds as they evolve over time.

M6T2rHa.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what your point is. If they weren't reactionary (ie if the implied probability weren't conditional on the available information), I'd be a millionaire now and odds wouldn't help predict.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re watched the last climb. Froome's performance there indeed is scary. When he rose on the pedals Contador was right at his wheel and was able to follow him for 22 seconds whereas Froome continued on the pedals for nearly 20 seconds more (the footage got focused on JRod and I couldn't see when he exactly sat on the saddle). Even more scary is the part in the last 200 meters when he follows JRod sitting up by being able to maintain a constant distance on him. If he will be able to sustain 40 second attacks in longer climbs as well, it'll be really tough for his opponents not to get dropped.
Everything is shaping up perfectly for Froome.
The form is excellent. Lead car in the cobbles. 36 seconds to the (apparently) weakest of the top 4. 1:56 to the (apparently) biggest threat in the mountains. If he doesn't crash, he can afford to lose 2:30 minutes on Nibali and still be within one minute distance from the Sardinian.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Because Quintana did better in the ITT relative to the other GC riders than expected. In the pre Tour odds, Froome and Quintana were very close, with Froome being slightly ahead. Contador was ahead of Nibali. Both changed after the ITT.

Now, if you are wondering why Quintana was rated that highly to begin with.. I'm guessing because he's still very young and should improve, but was already at a very high level in 2013. Personally, I think he's overrated but the market rates him.

TRENDING THREADS