• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re:

qwer said:
froome was brilliant but he continues a terrible bike handler... almost went down when he hit a katusha's rider

That Katusha's rider went to the right and almost pushed Froome over but with his excellent skills he managed to stay upwards :)

May 12, 2015
Visit site
In my opinion, Chris' plan was to peak for the first two weeks. He's being extra aggressive. IMO he wants to have this TdF in the bag by the time they get to the Alps and then Contador his way to Paris.

Re:

The_Cheech said:
In my opinion, Chris' plan was to peak for the first two weeks. He's being extra aggressive. IMO he wants to have this TdF in the bag by the time they get to the Alps and then Contador his way to Paris.
You clearly haven't paid attention. He stated repeatedly he aims to peak in the third week, like in last year's Vuelta.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Froome is now the odds on favourite with only Quintana being reasonably close.
AsRvKBn.png

Nibali is today's big loser. Why? Because like many here, the markets, perhaps foolishly, expected him to gain time today. To a lesser extent, this is true for Contador as well. Quintana lost almost nothing.

Unless something unexpected happens, Froome should continue to become marginally more likely to win the Tour with every stage that passes, as every stage completed is one less opportunity to crash or be caught in a split. The next stage where GC contenders will once again be separated, if everything goes normally, will be probably be the Mur de Bretagne

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The_Cheech said:

I think the opposite. In 2013 he was in super shape since day 1 of the Dauphine and he managed pretty well in the first two weeks of that Tour. In this years Dauphine he was struggling in the opening days, only to become better in the last two stages. If he manages to keep the same span as in 2013, I'm afraid he will be in top shape in the third week as well.And he has less racing days this year compared to 2013, so the form till the end of the tour wont be difficult to be maintained.

Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
The_Cheech said:

I think the opposite. In 2013 he was in super shape since day 1 of the Dauphine and he managed pretty well in the first two weeks of that Tour. In this years Dauphine he was struggling in the opening days, only to become better in the last two stages. If he manages to keep the same span as in 2013, I'm afraid he will be in top shape in the third week as well.And he has less racing days this year compared to 2013, so the form till the end of the tour wont be difficult to be maintained.

I am afraid you are right indeed :mad:
Only 'deus ex machina'-type events could save this Tour now (I am thinking crashes or time penalties due to 'elbows-out' riding and endangering fellow riders :D ).

harryh said:
qwer said:
froome was brilliant but he continues a terrible bike handler... almost went down when he hit a katusha's rider

That Katusha's rider went to the right and almost pushed Froome over but with his excellent skills he managed to stay upwards :)
You're probably joking, but I agree. As stupid as Froome may look on the bicycle usually, that one time the Katusha guy was clearly at fault imo.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
I seem to remember him saying he was aiming to do the vuelta as well, if so he wont peak before week 3.

Would be hilarious if he managed to do the double, without all of that PR crap. Done previously only by 2 riders in history and not since 1978 so 20 years longer than Giro- Tour (6 cyclists have done that). Doubt the Tour winner will ride the Vuelta though

Would be hilarious if he managed to do the double, without all of that PR crap. Done previously only by 2 riders in history and not since 1978 so 20 years longer than Giro- Tour (6 cyclists have done that). Doubt the Tour winner will ride the Vuelta though

Not a great comparison though, because how many riders ever seriously targeted the Tour-Vuelta double?

Would be cool if Froome could do it, but one step after the other.

damian13ster said:
Ramon Koran said:
I seem to remember him saying he was aiming to do the vuelta as well, if so he wont peak before week 3.

Very difficult to do the double Tour-Vuelta the same year, becouse in the Vuelta are better contenders than in the Giro, but this is a question that depend on every year...some year could be amazing to be second in the Giro and other year coudl be not very impressive to win. And the Vuelta the same.

But is expecially difficult the first year, now Froome has experience and he is a best rider, so he caqn be at a similar level than in the Tour. Landa or Purito could put him in some problems on the mountains, but he has the ITT at the end, it is a very good ITT for him, it is a route I use to ride. Later thre are some tactical stages, but if he has a minute after the ITT he should win.

For people that came from le Giro as Landa an Aru Vuelta shoudl be less demanding, but he can.

Nobody has won Tour-Vuelta. it would be historic.. but as i said that kind of stedistics are not important, palmares, doubles, importante is how somebody win... I remember Indurain not becouse he won 5 Tour or 3 giros, but becouse he put big difference to his rivals, he showed hewan the best, and you can show that in just one year, althoug other riders got more victories.