• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 378 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
Miburo said:
roundabout said:
Contador has made plenty of wrong decisions in this Vuelta alone and yet some people are still beating the drum of his alleged tactical superiority.

And without Rovny and Trofimov being unbelievably strong today his attack would have likely gone nowhere.

What about the astana riding for no reason variable? Surely that's not normal eh mate?

Pretty sure rovny and trofi being beasts was an enormous factor but if astana didn't ride which would be the normal standard, then even a standar rovny and trofi was more than enough

What was wrong with Astana riding? They are riding for Scarponi's GC place. A perfectly normal tactic considering they were the only team with numbers to help.

why the heck should they help Froome ?

and why bother protecting 9th place in a GT ?

Miburo said:
JRanton said:
Miburo said:
roundabout said:
Contador has made plenty of wrong decisions in this Vuelta alone and yet some people are still beating the drum of his alleged tactical superiority.

And without Rovny and Trofimov being unbelievably strong today his attack would have likely gone nowhere.

What about the astana riding for no reason variable? Surely that's not normal eh mate?

Pretty sure rovny and trofi being beasts was an enormous factor but if astana didn't ride which would be the normal standard, then even a standar rovny and trofi was more than enough

What was wrong with Astana riding? They are riding for Scarponi's GC place. A perfectly normal tactic considering they were the only team with numbers to help.

If you wrote that with a straight face, then good on you, very impressive

Yup, perfectly straight face. If they'd managed to bring that group back, maybe an Astana rider (Scarponi) would have a chance of winning the stage too. How does sitting in the bunch, losing 10+ minutes, Scarponi losing places on GC and any chance of a stage win, help Astana?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Explain me how in the last 25 km when the gap was over 2.30min, scarponi was gonna win the stage?

You're gonna make up that time to Quintana on a mountain? Try a bit harder next time mate

We saw Froome chatting with Astana, we all know what happened.

red zone said:
JRanton said:
Miburo said:
roundabout said:

why the heck should they help Froome ?

and why bother protecting 9th place in a GT ?

They weren't helping Froome. They want Scarponi to finish as high up as possible on GC. Again, perfectly normal. As is the massive gruppetto being allowed to start tomorrow btw.

By your logic, many of the riders in the front group shouldn't have been 'helping' Quintana and Contador.

Re:

Miburo said:
Explain me how in the last 25 km when the gap was over 2.30min, scarponi was gonna win the stage?

You're gonna make up that time to Quintana on a mountain? Try a bit harder next time mate

Miburo, that's worse from AC's fans perspective, Quintana or Froome winning the Vuelta?

and yet I'm quite sure your point would be different had Contador extracted value from work Astana did for Scarponi.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

Of course Froome was pulling some favors. But nothing weird imo. Everybody does that.

damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:
You might dislike what I have posted but it's 100% truth. Froome is tactically inept and without his lackies he is a above average GC contender at best. Even a triple GT cooked Valverde who bonked hard yesterday finished ahead of him today.

Still 2nd in GC without a team at all in Vuelta after winning a Tour and medaling in Rio. Name me one GC rider better than him

Without a team. Did the go home or what? :rolleyes:

Poor Froome he will not sleep good tonight.

How many in his team and staff will got the blame for this bad stage?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

dacooley said:
Miburo said:

Miburo, that's worse from AC's fans perspective, Quintana or Froome winning the Vuelta?

and yet I'm quite sure your point would be different had Contador extracted value from work Astana did for Scarponi.

Of course mate, i'm only human. I'm not a robot. My point still stands though, me being a hypocrite doesn't change the argument.

Gonna attack the argument now instead of the person? ;)

Miburo said:
dacooley said:
Miburo said:

Of course mate, i'm only human. I'm not a robot. My point still stands though, me being a hypocrite doesn't change the argument.

Sure, explain to me why Astana should prioritise a Colombian on Movistar winning the Vuelta over preserving their own interests in Scarponi's GC position

Might be annoying as a viewer because we all like to see attackers succeed, but explain why it could possibly be irrational for Astana to chase

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
does Sky DS still has a job ? If i would be Brailsford i would have fire him during the stage , in the car. He has a few minutes/stage job, to talk few 100 words in the radio, how hard could that be?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cause you waste energy on a meaningless 9th place, and it's not that scarponi is suddenly 20th. Why not attack with LLS and scarponi instead of pacing froome

Re:

Miburo said:
Cause you waste energy on a meaningless 9th place, and it's not that scarponi is suddenly 20th. Why not attack with LLS and scarponi instead of pacing froome

??? They did attack a couple of times, and it was brought back, so they went back to pacing

And you get WT points for 9th place, so in the current system, it sure ain't meaningless

Also why should Scarponi attack 100k out and abandon his team just so that one of the GC contenders doesn't benefit

tretiak said:
damian13ster said:
Pantani Attacks said:
You might dislike what I have posted but it's 100% truth. Froome is tactically inept and without his lackies he is a above average GC contender at best. Even a triple GT cooked Valverde who bonked hard yesterday finished ahead of him today.

Still 2nd in GC without a team at all in Vuelta after winning a Tour and medaling in Rio. Name me one GC rider better than him

Without a team. Did the go home or what? :rolleyes:

Poor Froome he will not sleep good tonight.

How many in his team and staff will got the blame for this bad stage?

All he had to do was stick on Quintana's wheel, he didn't ...

PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:

??? They did attack a couple of times, and it was brought back, so they went back to pacing

And you get WT points for 9th place, so in the current system, it sure ain't meaningless

Also why should Scarponi attack 100k out and abandon his team just so that one of the GC contenders doesn't benefit

Astana boys have wet dreams about being able to get a contract for Team Sky. :lol:

Re:

Amnes2015 said:
does Sky DS still has a job ? If i would be Brailsford i would have fire him during the stage , in the car. He has a few minutes/stage job, to talk few 100 words in the radio, how hard could that be?

The DS doesn't have pictures of the race at that point. The blame is squarely on Froome and his teammates for letting it happen.

The strangest thing is that both of the Orica GC riders were also caught out. I think the interesting dynamic that allowed this move to happen is that despite being in the leader's jersey it was Quintana and Movistar that needed to gain more time and be aggressive. Sky should have been riding as if they were in the lead, controlling the breaks at the start, but instead sat back and expected Movistar to control the race as would normally be the case on a start to a stage like this.

What I find most annoying is that a similar error was made yesterday when Moreno and 2 Movistar riders got in a break, forcing Sky to chase for most of the day. In many ways it does make sense to make these errors in the Vuelta, after you've already won the Tour, but it's still disappointing that Froome loses any chance of doing the double due to a silly error.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
dacooley said:
Miburo said:

Sure, explain to me why Astana should prioritise a Colombian on Movistar winning the Vuelta over preserving their own interests in Scarponi's GC position

Might be annoying as a viewer because we all like to see attackers succeed, but explain why it could possibly be irrational for Astana to chase

Oh cut this crap please! Protecting 9th place? Scarponi! As he haven't had enough of those placings during his career. And he protected it alright, those two riders who could surpass him (Formolo and De La Cruz) did just that! We all know they were payed big time to do what they did today. It's not the first time, nor the last...

Re:

Amnes2015 said:
Brailsford should look at himself as well in that case. Kwiatkowski, Konig, Intxausti and Landa - who should have been the ones to marshall Foome through this race - have all become worse riders at Sky. Also, all of them seem to constantly be afflicted by injuries and illnesses nowdays. So either poor signings who don't fit the role, or poor management of those signings, has left Sky fielding a very weak team, by their standards.

Re:

Amnes2015 said:

I did see a Team Sky car in the ditch when Froome was isolated. Did Brailsford deliver the message to the DS in that moment? ;)

Mr.White said:
PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
dacooley said:
Miburo said:

Oh cut this crap please! Protecting 9th place? Scarponi! As he haven't had enough of those placings during his career. And he protected it alright, those two riders who could surpass him (Formolo and De La Cruz) did just that! We all know they were payed big time to do what they did today. It's not the first time, nor the last...

And let me guess, Tinkoff were also paid by Quintana to try and move up to a meaningless 5th place on GC, when Contador is looking weak and didn't once attack Quintana

Mr.White said:
PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
dacooley said:
Miburo said:

It's not as if Scarponi is miles behind the podium places. Who knows what could happen in the third week? We've already seen Valverde crack completely. It made perfect sense for Astana to ride for Scarponi.

Makes me laugh that people who don't hate Froome and Sky are labelled 'Skybots' when it's clear to any sane individual that it's the Contador fanboys and girls on this forum and elsewhere who are an absolute embarrassment.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
already 2 days in a row when Sky *** up very bad , first chasing all day and next day this disaster even more ridiculous than Katusha's Fuente de

i can certainly say that their DS's are not up to the job.

Not to speak about Cioni being DS at the Giro every time .... good results for Sky at the Giro lol

P.S. is also true that Froome failed to hug Quintana's wheel from start. probably little arrogance and he paid the big price. But also their team members placement remembers stage 4 in 2014 TdF when Orica guy took out isolated Froome at few km's from start.

Must have something to do with overall team quality , this Vuelat team is for a good reason the C-team

TRENDING THREADS