• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 622 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Ahah guys i'm just kidding. I'm a big fan of froome, but i know that it will be very difficult for him to win the tour. But it would be a amazing achievement after what happened.

I like him too, but realistically after the 2020 season he had, it would be an amazing achievement if he's even remotely competitive on even some individual stages in a relevant race this year.

Winning the Tour de France would be amazing on a scale that even beats the 2011 Vuelta.

Reactions: Froome
Don't believe the hype.
Remember the ISN owner Adams saying words to the effect of: 'We've seen the data, Froome's numbers and they are what we want them to be,' when signing him.
Now we know Froome's right leg (which is held together with a metal pole) was recently 20% less powerful than the left.
Also factor in his left leg isn't as powerful as pre-crash.
The latest buzz-phrase coming from Froome and ISN is that both legs are now 'balanced' better than ever before.
Yeah, they're probably now both around 85% of peak power. Great balance.
Good luck with that.
We'll probably have to get use'd to the fact that Froome is currently as good as he's ever going to be.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Don't believe the hype.
Remember the ISN owner Adams saying words to the effect of: 'We've seen the data, Froome's numbers and they are what we want them to be,' when signing him.
Now we know Froome's right leg (which is held together with a metal pole) was recently 20% less powerful than the left.
Also factor in his left leg isn't as powerful as pre-crash.
The latest buzz-phrase coming from Froome and ISN is that both legs are now 'balanced' better than ever before.
Yeah, they're probably now both around 85% of peak power. Great balance.
Good luck with that.
We'll probably have to get use'd to the fact that Froome is currently as good as he's ever going to be.
We will see in the next months how it goes really. He was doing rehab and gym in the last 3 months in california, for sure he wasn't doing trainings with a lot of intensity in the bike. So, is a little soon to say that froome is done. If in the next months froome doesn't improve, i will agree with you on saying that froome is done.

We will see in the next months how it goes really. He was doing rehab and gym in the last 3 months in california, for sure he wasn't doing trainings with a lot of intensity in the bike. So, is a little soon to say that froome is done. If in the next months froome doesn't improve, i will agree with you on saying that froome is done.

He usually doesn't make much effort until Catalunya - that's his first checkpoint. If he's not doing well there he'll race more. Otherwise he'll go onto Romandie and then the Dauphine.

If his sole intention is to win the Tour he may consider flying under the radar a little for the first time in a decade and let the Slovenians and Ineos worry about each other.

If he's still rehabbing this season will be more of the same; refinding his pedal-stroke and where his power begins. He may have some results by season's end but IMO he won't be at whatever will be his new top end until 2022. His leg was seriously fu*cked up. Like Tiger Woods level of damage.

There have been too many lies and false dawns and promises regarding Chris Froome's condition.
Maybe the incentive was to land a fat contract at ISN.
If so, job done.
However, and I can't believe I'm saying this, his form at the current UAE tour is sticking one in the eye to the critics on here that said he was always going to be total garbage from now on.
Currently sitting 40th out of an elite World Tour field of 130 is not abysmal.
Not great I agree, but if he can be respectable and maybe have the odd moment in his three years with ISN then good luck to him and maybe we, including myself, should get off his back little bit.

Reactions: memyselfandI
There have been too many lies and false dawns and promises regarding Chris Froome's condition.
Maybe the incentive was to land a fat contract at ISN.
If so, job done.
However, and I can't believe I'm saying this, his form at the current UAE tour is sticking one in the eye to the critics on here that said he was always going to be total garbage from now on.
Currently sitting 40th out of an elite World Tour field of 130 is not abysmal.
Not great I agree, but if he can be respectable and maybe have the odd moment in his three years with ISN then good luck to him and maybe we, including myself, should get off his back little bit.
Not bad for a rider that in last 3 months was in california doing rehab and gym, and didn't a lot of training in the bike. Let's see how it goes in catalunya.

Reactions: cantpedal
EvFeHwpXUAMlSX9

NlgpXka.png

View: https://twitter.com/TeamIsraelSUN/status/1364965868040511488?s=20

He seems to be going alright in context of the scale of injuries he is recovering from. But it isn't just his injuries he needs to come back from, he is also fighting age.

Prior to his crash I already notice some decline in Froome's peak powers which I think were way back in 2013 TdF (Ventoux). A bit like Contador in his post ban years, Froome in recent years seemed to rely more upon tactical courage than simply raw power. An example is the 2018 Giro when prior to stage 19 he looked beaten. I think today from what I have read was a very good effort for a guy who is recovering from massive injuries. But to me I think its obvious he isn't going to win any more Grand Tours with a flood of young talent also rising through the ranks.

I think when Froome was in his pomp he would’ve had a good winter behind him but this year he has had to do more rehab work so is behind where he would like to be. We will see. Today was encouraging for him but he is still a long old way off. I seen his next race is Catalunya in a month but maybe worth adding another race in between, something like Tirreno?
I don’t know, he might be going to an altitude camp or whatever, and if there’s anyone who knows how to prepare for a GT four months out, it’s Froome.
For me, the jury’s still out on his potential comeback, we need more data, but we may have to wait a while.

What happened today on the final stage of the UAE Tour?
Froome finished over 3.00mins down on a flat sprint stage.
Maybe he took his foot off the gas or maybe he just didn't have the power to keep up with the charge to the line.
ISN had plenty of bodies up there in the finale so were going for the sprint via AG so I think Froome would definitely be wanted to help out.
What happened to him?

What happened today on the final stage of the UAE Tour?
Froome finished over 3.00mins down on a flat sprint stage.
Maybe he took his foot off the gas or maybe he just didn't have the power to keep up with the charge to the line.
ISN had plenty of bodies up there in the finale so were going for the sprint via AG so I think Froome would definitely be wanted to help out.
What happened to him?
He was helping, you could see him near the front and in the wind for a number of kms.

TRENDING THREADS