• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 631 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Froome trounced Contador the most popular figure on this forum by a wide margin year after year after year that's the entire origin of the Froome=bad narrative.

Contador never lost a GT because of Froome. He wasn't good enough to even get a podium in those races so no reason to blame Froome for anything. Their primes almost didn't overlap (except Vuelta'14 and Tour'15).

2013 - Contador's worst year in 2007-2015 prime period
2014 - Contador beat Froome at the Vuelta in a good fashion: maybe it was the only GT when both were in GT winning form. My biggest regret regarding their rivalry was that they didn't clash at the TdF'14 but at least Vuelta gave me some satisfaction.
2015 - Contador beaten at the Tour after winning the Giro - after such an effort it was unlikely he would win in France (regardless Froome's form)
2016-2017 - Last years of Contador career, no regrets that he didn't win a GT at that stage.

Last edited:
Maybe, once Froome goes through all the pros and cons:

On the pros side, forum members would like to see me retired, on the cons side, continue to do what you love and be paid graciously for it, win some.

I am sure that he will make the right call!

If you can keep your emotions out of this, it's simple: a guy that has won 7 or 8 GTs is now a shadow of his former self.
If he can't get way better than this. I doubt he'll be willing to fight for top-100 in GTs.

Contador never lost a GT because of Froome. He wasn't good enough to even get a podium in those races so no reason to blame Froome for anything. Their primes almost didn't overlap (except maybe Vuelta'14 and Tour'15).

2013 - Contador's worst year in 2007-2015 period
2014 - Contador beat Froome at the Vuelta in a good fashion: maybe it was the only GT when both were in GT winning form. My biggest regret was the they didn't clash at the TdF'14 but at least Vuelta gave me some satisfaction.
2015 - Contador beaten at the Tour after winning the Giro - after such an effort it was unlikely he would win in France (regardless Froome's form)
2016-2017 - Last years of Contador career, no regrets that he didn't win a GT at that stage.
Froome wasn't at 100% during most of the Vuelta 2014 because of the injuries.
Contador ended in the right time his career with a great victory on angliru. Froome should retire in the end of the season if he continues with no progression.

Froome wasn't at 100% during most of the Vuelta 2014 because of the injuries.
Contador ended in the right time his career with a great victory on angliru. Froome should retire in the end of the season if he continues with no progression.

I'm not saying he was at his peak but clearly was good enough to win the Vuelta if not for Contador. Peak Froome vs peak Contador never happened but TdF'14 would have been closest to it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Contador made racing exciting. Trounced or not. Froome won te Tour and Vuelta in 2017 and not a single moment of that was exciting to watch.
Froome made the best "attack" of the last 25 years of cycling on giro 2018, attacks on ventoux, ax 3 domaines, downhill attacks, even with sagan he made an attack. He made a lots of attacks, you think he wasn't exciting because he was from team sky.

Baby steps. To me this is a clear signal pain or discomfort isn't there anymore. Been seeing Froome pushing the pedals a bit harder now, at the beginning of the stages at Alps. Confidence in putting stress on the legs is hence likely building, just don't exaggerate for now and it should be OK.

P.S. What was is in the past. The future is whatever someone does with it.

Reactions: Poursuivant

Baby steps. To me this is a clear signal pain or discomfort isn't there anymore. Been seeing Froome pushing the pedals a bit harder now, at the beginning of the stages at Alps. Confidence in putting stress on the legs is hence likely building, just don't exaggerate for now and it should be OK.

P.S. What was is in the past. The future is whatever someone does with it.
He's going to the tour of rwanda in africa instead of romandie. Strange decision.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Froome made the best "attack" of the last 25 years of cycling on giro 2018, attacks on ventoux, ax 3 domaines, downhill attacks, even with sagan he made an attack. He made a lots of attacks, you think he wasn't exciting because he was from team sky.

Sure, he attacked. With decimating effectiveness. For many of us who watched bike racing before the USPS and Sky trains came about, there is a fundamental entertainment difference between attacking after a ridiculous train of domestiques have decimated the peloton, and producing canny, unexpected attacks which open up the race instead of shutting it down.

There is a difference between "making racing exciting" as Red Rick says and what Froome and Co. did to the sport. I'm sure on some level you must get that.

Chris tweeted this after his failed breakaway on today's stage, in which he eventually finished 14 mins and 32 secs behind the winer.
Is he trying to be funny? Ironic? Sardonic? or is he seriously saying: 'Yeah, look at me leading the race baby'.
I don't get it.
The translation of 'Testa della Corsa' is roughly: 'Head of the Race'.
View: https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1385244244894523394

He is just messing with you.

Reactions: pastronef
Chris tweeted this after his failed breakaway on today's stage, in which he eventually finished 14 mins and 32 secs behind the winer.
Is he trying to be funny? Ironic? Sardonic? or is he seriously saying: 'Yeah, look at me leading the race baby'.
I don't get it.
The translation of 'Testa della Corsa' is roughly: 'Head of the Race'.
View: https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1385244244894523394

Chris Froome, this is the name of the account, not TMJ, so he can write what he wants.........

His placing at this race doesn't matter at all, but being in a break and then dropping 15 minutes doesn't seem like 'progression' (unless not losing 20 was his goal).

His race ended when the break was caught. It didn't really make any difference if he lost 5, 15 or 50 minutes. If he wants to attack again tomorrow, then I can understand if he didn't go full gas at the end.

Last edited:
His race ended when the break was caught. It didn't really make any difference if he lost 5, 15 or 50 minutes. If he wants to attack again tomorrow, then I can understand if he didn't go full gas at the end.
If his goal is still racing competitively at the TdF, soft pedaling the last 15 K of this stage isn't going to help him get there. He is there for training, not to strategically pace himself for tomorrow's stage.

TRENDING THREADS