• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 638 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
He doesn't look fat, I think he's just changed body shape due to the accident. Albeit a different injury but I know that happened to me, leaving me with a permanently weaker and withered leg, where the quad just wouldn't come back due to the damage done. Always thought the surgeon who told him he could come back to the level he was at before was talking out of his backside.

He doesn't look fat, I think he's just changed body shape due to the accident. Albeit a different injury but I know that happened to me, leaving me with a permanently weaker and withered leg, where the quad just wouldn't come back due to the damage done. Always thought the surgeon who told him he could come back to the level he was at before was talking out of his backside.

Doctors are known to say things like this to encourage the patient.
Lance Armstrong's cancer doctor told him he had something like a 60% chance of survival, but kept to himself he really believed it was more like 20%.
Froome's doctor dealt with routine broken bones didn't they? I don't think they had a specific expertise regarding world class cyclists so were really in no position to tell him he would return to his previous form.
Even if he's a mere 5% off his best this is huge at WT level, but not for day-to-day life.

Reactions: jmdirt
Because of course you would put on upper body muscle to rehab as a world class cyclist. Makes sense.

Also makes sense that the only thing separating him from the front of the pack is a couple extra kilos. We've seen guys come in a bit overweight a hundred times, and sure, that explains 51 seconds on a 4k TT nicely.

The dude is full on comedy.
You wouldn’t expect that to make any difference at all in a time trial, Nat make you come in at the end of the pack

Reactions: red_flanders
Listen, as an outsider who only got seriously into cycling recently, it’s pretty clear there was some major clinic action going on for a while and it promptly shut down after the crash. Guys don’t go from multiple TDF winner in their prime to 100th place no name over a year out from a crash. His form now resembles his pre-dominance form plus 10 years of age.

He’s going to stick around for a couple years for the money then ease his way out, probably also sticking around the scene for the same reason. I don’t have a negative opinion of him at all for the record, just stating what I think is obvious.

Reactions: saunaking
Listen, as an outsider who only got seriously into cycling recently, it’s pretty clear there was some major clinic action going on for a while and it promptly shut down after the crash. Guys don’t go from multiple TDF winner in their prime to 100th place no name over a year out from a crash. His form now resembles his pre-dominance form plus 10 years of age.

He’s going to stick around for a couple years for the money then ease his way out, probably also sticking around the scene for the same reason. I don’t have a negative opinion of him at all for the record, just stating what I think is obvious.
I’ve thought of that too—but would have to express them in that other forum.

Honestly this is one of the least considerate implications levelled against a TdF winner after injury. You must be an outsider, not an athlete on a top level and never experienced a "crash" that destroyed on leg. Seriously; no amount of "clinic" aids can restore structural damage to this level and he's continued like most pros would: to continue getting paid. He's not recovering from road rash.

Honestly this is one of the least considerate implications levelled against a TdF winner after injury. You must be an outsider, not an athlete on a top level and never experienced a "crash" that destroyed on leg. Seriously; no amount of "clinic" aids can restore structural damage to this level and he's continued like most pros would: to continue getting paid. He's not recovering from road rash.
Precisely, no one I can think of who had such injuries has ever recovered to their former self, Beloki being the last one prior to Froome. There is just too much damage to nerve, bone, muscle etc.

Yesterday i was thinking half an hour and indeed it was 33 minutes. At this point he likely expected a bit better and is disappointed, but you can't do much about it. You can't improve in between the race like that. Muscle is therefore there, head is in the right place, body can take the stress, hence back to base preparation as being a cyclist, preparing for the next race. Improving ever so slightly.

Ez91tCwWQAEEB5e

Yesterday i was thinking half an hour and indeed it was 33 minutes. At this point he likely expected a bit better and is disappointed, but you can't do much about it. You can't improve in between the race like that. Muscle is therefore there, head is in the right place, body can take the stress, hence back to base preparation as being a cyclist, preparing for the next race. Improving ever so slightly.
Add to that the additional weight of Froome being full of it ;)

And yes, one can improve during a race. But Froome no longer can. Which is yet another indicator of the challenges his body now presents for him.

Reactions: red_flanders

TRENDING THREADS