• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 642 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Main takeout: His eyebrows are larger than I had always thought.
Other takeout: the man has a lot of fire in him. That will be critical in propelling his progress.
Final takeout: if you didn’t know any better you’d think he’s being tortured on that leg machine. He certainly looks like it spazzing all over the chair trying to keep that hydraulic arm moving.

Gosh what a masochistic existence for poor dawg.

he laughs at people saying "give up". he says the naysayers spur him.
the fact he´s still at the start line of a race is great. even if he struggles. the petty non-fans will enjoy it, well that´s life. he drove you mad for years, now it´s your turn to mock him. c´est la vie. multi GT winner starting from scratch again, enjoying what he does, keeping going. that´s it.

he laughs at people saying "give up". he says the naysayers spur him.
the fact he´s still at the start line of a race is great. even if he struggles. the petty non-fans will enjoy it, well that´s life. he drove you mad for years, now it´s your turn to mock him. c´est la vie. multi GT winner starting from scratch again, enjoying what he does, keeping going. that´s it.
I don't understand the hating around froome. He appears to be a humble and a nice person. He's not an *** like armstrong was for example.

I don't understand the hating around froome. He appears to be a humble and a nice person.
Well, take the video above. He starts with clips of his weight-lifting. FFS. Then we move into him telling us how flat out the racing was in Romandie, as if he was really up there fighting, when the reality is that he was nowhere near even being remotely competitive. Why not just state the obvious, he's not close yet but he's working hard at it, and it's been a tough time for him. Ask for the fans to be patient, maybe give a clue what the issue really is. That would be humble, that would be...human.

Then we get a couple minutes dedicated to attempting to convince the world he has a serious case of sports induced asthma. Cut to clips of him coughing for effect. Give me a break. Does anyone need this information? No. It's BS and it's PR done solely for reasons we can't discuss in this part of the forum. He's the most disingenuous rider in the modern peloton. And he has a looooong, looong history of it.

That's all I could stomach, gawd knows what the rest of it was like. He's not humble. He's a BS artist. And a very bad one at that.

When the performances go downward, the talk goes upward.First optimistic then hopeful, then defiance till reality hits and despair sets in. I am reminded of stock scams.
i donot think he needs to talk or justify or explain. The performances make it very very plain. There is no need for the media to ask or him to reply. Just get on with whatever needs to be done.

Reactions: Koronin and Sciatic
From what? A cold?
CyclistAbi comes to this thread every week and writes “he’ll bounce back”. He apparently likes the word “bounce”.

As per Froome bouncing back - this is the point where one evaluates his own progress and says ok guys, I’m not even in the same league anymore... I gave it a shot, i got nowhere in last year and a half. I’m old and I’m out.

I’m guessing he won’t do that because of the contract but mark my words - if he continues with this, he’ll be a laughing stock before he’s done. And he fully deserves that - his pretending he’s about to bounce back anytime now is just ridiculous…

Reactions: Koronin
I don't understand the hating around froome. He appears to be a humble and a nice person. He's not an champion like armstrong was for example.
He’s soft spoken and well mannered. That doesn’t mean he’s nice. In 2012 he made sure everyone knew he was stronger than Wiggo on a couple of occasions in TDF. I don’t consider that very nice, for instance… I also don’t consider taking 5 mil for his efforts right now very humble. But yeah, he sure knows how to behave…

Reactions: Blanco and Koronin
I call it BS:
If we interpret correctly his statement, He has not even properly recovered by his own admission, let alone ever getting back near to what his fitness was prior to the accident any time soon. When he mentioned detractors not knowing the full extend of the damage caused by the crash- then the question is -Did he, his agent & the doctors made up the prognosis of the injuries & recovery less severe in order to land a contract? How much is realistically needed to fully recover before he even attempt to attain the fitness needed to be competitive once more?

It's been close to 2 years already after the crash, with no signs of improvement to ever have a bit of optimism in his ability to produce a "result" -at least going in a breakaway"- but not even that.......

I think his last youtube video clears some things. I think he will come back at his best. At least, at his best at his age, maybe no so strong as with 30 years old., but similar. That would be impossible in most of riders. But I am sure his determinatition and sacrify would let him reach that `point. Not easy, and not soon.
Anyway he is now focusing on losing weight, So we will see a better level for sure in Dauphiné.
He needed to focus past winter in some exercises that make him worse this begining of the year than last year, but it was necessary for the future. I am sure he will be back, but anyway just try it everything for it it one of the most interesting things in cycling this year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ripper
E1Hpu1eX0AoLxbX