• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 644 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
You're defending him against arguments nobody is criticizing him with. I don't like him, I loathe his effect on racing, yet I won't criticize him for milking it for the duration of his contract. I would do the same.

I just hope he won't go so far into cycling influencing he ends up doing collabs with Alberto.

this would be SO SWEET. I want to witness twitter explode if that happens ahah

He was struggling at the back when the favourites were soft-pedalling, I don't see how that is supposed to be encouraging? Or were you joking?
We are joking.

But on a serious note - in his domination years he used to finish in the very front of the peloton in big groups. It might not be the most important fact but being 5th last in the big group is also not very encouraging. Either he doesn't have the sustained top speed anymore to make this semi-sprints or he lacks the confidence.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
We are joking.

But on a serious note - in his domination years he used to finish in the very front of the peloton in big groups. It might not be the most important fact but being 5th last in the big group is also not very encouraging. Either he doesn't have the sustained top speed anymore to make this semi-sprints or he lacks the confidence.
Isn't that more of Sky/Ineos thing than it was a Froome thing? They always seem to be fighting (too) long to be in the front of the group at the end of stages.

I've never been a Froome fan, but I will be if be makes a full recovery. I hope he does it.

However all this talk of weight is not the root of the issue I don't believe. You don't perform poorly in a time trial because you are heavy, for instance. I think he lacks power.
Yes, something is clearly off…At first I was hopeful that he’d come around this year but by now we should have seen at least some flashes of the old dawg. I’m still pulling for him to end his career on a positive note, though…

Not so good today for our Chris.
Was hanging on the back of the peloton for much of the final Category 2 climb and finally got dropped before the top.
Finished with a small group over three minutes behind the main group of favourites.
Disappointing.

Not so good today for our Chris.
Was hanging on the back of the peloton for much of the final Category 2 climb and finally got dropped before the top.
Finished with a small group over three minutes behind the main group of favourites.
Disappointing.
Were you expecting more? I don’t know why anyone would be, unless for some reason one puts credence his statements. Which would seem odd given his history...

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Ripper
I've never been a Froome fan, but I will be if he makes a full recovery. I hope he does it.

However all this talk of weight is not the root of the issue I don't believe. You don't perform poorly in a time trial because you are heavy, for instance. I think he lacks power.
The key here is to ignore anything Froome says and evaluate him with your own eyes. If the issue were weight, he’d be competitive but lacking enough to win or drop the best riders. He’s not even remotely close.

Reactions: Ripper
Whatever one thinks of him as a rider or person, it's sad seeing someone go from the top of the sport to battling to hang onto the peloton or finishing just in front of the "Froome wagon" after a horrific crash like that.

Can't fault him for effort, although clearly the fat contract helps. But must be a strange situation in the team to have such a large proportion of the budget going to someone who is essentially a passenger. And what do they do now given all the years remaining? Come to some sort of settlement if he's no better in a year's time?

The key here is to ignore anything Froome says and evaluate him with your own eyes. If the issue were weight, he’d be competitive but lacking enough to win or drop the best riders. He’s not even remotely close.
It's basically the smokescreen of the moment. "Working on my weight" ... then why is your TT soooooo bad, your recovery so bad, everything so bad? Because it is everything. Weight is the least of his concerns, especially if he actually dropped some.

Any miracles in the next two months would be so far beyond ridiculous that it would make 2011 look completely in the norm. Perhaps he should first aim at being really solid in just a single day race.

Reactions: red_flanders
I'd call his current contract a success tbh.

Honestly, this must be up there in the list of most stupid contracts ever given to a sports person and it just gets funnier the more I think of it.
By far the stupidest in my opinion. Imagine someone getting this in cycling.

TRENDING THREADS