• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 657 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Here is Chris Froome's immediate take on his Dauphine performance. As predicted.

Chris Froome: “For me personally, it was good to get some hard racing like this in the legs. This is exactly what I was missing and exactly what I need to help push me up to the next level. I definitely felt like I was settling into the race as the race went on, and as we got into the higher mountains, I definitely felt better today as well. I’m not up there with the front guys yet but if I look back just a month, to my last race in Romandie, there has definitely been a strong progression.”

He is not wrong about progression since Romandie.

He'' get picked. Who else are ISN going to go for?

Woods, Martin, Hermans and Goldstein are certainties.

Then maybe Froome, Boivin, Vanmarcke and a sprinter. Who else would you pick ahead of Froome? Maybe Bevin from the Giro team, but where's the fun it that?

(Impey, Hagen, De Marchi and Neilands all injured)

Reactions: Sandisfan
If

Then maybe Froome, Boivin, Vanmarcke and a sprinter. Who else would you pick ahead of Froome? Maybe Bevin from the Giro team, but where's the fun it that?

If israel had a healthy team, and froome in good shape, they could go with a great team to the tour. Imagine a team with froome as a leader, woods and martin co leaders, hermans, hagen and de marchi domestiques in the mountains, impey and vanmarcke for the flat, it would be a very good team.

I think the team for this tour should be, woods,martin,hermans, omer, froome,vammarcke, bovin and piccoli.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The team DS says the contract doesn't guarantee Fromme's participation at the Tour (though it could be preparation towards Vuelta).

Maybe in all those interviews Chris meant Tour 2022? Now everything makes sense...

It's the constant talk about stepping stones & improvements towards the goal of being a "GC contender" which makes very little sense at this point. Both Froome & his team are guilty of this, i.e. dangling a golden apple of "better days" ahead. They should just be quiet & get on with the work, "if" they really believe it'll lead to some improvement & their desired goal in the long run. Talk is cheap etc.

I'm also of the opinion his Dauphiné finish appeared less awful by comparison to Romandie simply because of a lot of soft pedalling around him from guys who're about to embark on far bigger objectives (namely all the domestiques & riders in other teams who once dropped in the Dauphiné eased off because there's no point to going full gas with the Tour, Olympics & Vuelta just around the corner).

It's the constant talk about stepping stones & improvements towards the goal of being a "GC contender" which makes very little sense at this point. Both Froome & his team are guilty of this, i.e. dangling a golden apple of "better days" ahead. They should just be quiet & get on with the work, "if" they really believe it'll lead to some improvement & their desired goal in the long run. Talk is cheap etc.

I'm also of the opinion his Dauphiné finish appeared less awful by comparison to Romandie simply because of a lot of soft pedalling around him from guys who're about to embark on far bigger objectives (namely all the domestiques & riders in other teams who once dropped in the Dauphiné eased off because there's no point to going full gas with the Tour, Olympics & Vuelta just around the corner).
I dont agree. He showed an improvement. Not big, but clear.. 39th in a mountain stage and 47th overall is his best result this year, becouse the level was higher than in Emirates, and he showdd an inprovemebt from Romandie... But last days of Romandie he was little bit sick, with a cold, so it doent count for me.. But his prologue was horrible.. At Dauphine his ITT, despite been overpassed, was decent.

I dont say that means he is going to come back at his best level.. But for me is soon to say no for sure.

It looks like he is going to ride le Tour helping the team and looking at the Vuelta. Anyway, I can't see 8 rides better right now to current Froome level.

I think its in the cards now that they will bring Greipel and likely a train of Hofstetter and Zabel also, not having so much other options.

Not sure Hermans wants to ride the Tour, but if so he is certain as is 1 israelian rider. I guess if Hermans is not riding, Würtz then has a good chance to get the final spot besides Froome, ahead of riders like Vanmarcke.

I dont agree. He showed an improvement. Not big, but clear.. 39th in a mountain stage and 47th overall is his best result this year, becouse the level was higher than in Emirates, and he showdd an inprovemebt from Romandie... But last days of Romandie he was little bit sick, with a cold, so it doent count for me.. But his prologue was horrible.. At Dauphine his ITT, despite been overpassed, was decent.

I dont say that means he is going to come back at his best level.. But for me is soon to say no for sure.

It looks like he is going to ride le Tour helping the team and looking at the Vuelta. Anyway, I can't see 8 rides better right now to current Froome level.
Taxus, as a huge Froome's fanboy I must ask you: WTF you are talking about?
CF was the greatest in the 2nd decade of XXI century, but it's over. He should retire as soon as possible!
It looks like we will have Two Clowns with 11 GT wins in TdF2021.

CF was the greatest in the 2nd decade of XXI century, but it's over. He should retire as soon as possible!

Are you talking about Nibali? If so, it seems a little harsh since even with his Giro level he still has the climbing ability to win stages, and that is not even all of his current potential since the injury impacted his build up.

Are you talking about Nibali? If so, it seems a little harsh since even with his Giro level he still has the climbing ability to win stages, and that is not even all of his current potential since the injury impacted his build up.

I agree that his injury may have had a large impact on his preparation before and performance at the Giro. But apart from that, I don't know what climbing ability and Giro level you refer to, because Nibali was miles away from being able to win a stage at the Giro.

Why is over?? you said the same of Cavendish.. he faced a mononucleosis, broken bones nad a depresion,, and he is winning now after 2 years withoput result... and Froome mentality is totally opposite to Cavs.. Froome is really string, he is able to do the important work he need to come back, and he will do. Just a few riders could do that procees, He can, That way he is great, not the fact to have won 4 Tours , Giro, Vuelta...for his mental strenth.
We will see. It is not easy, but he has the right to try it, and of course he is not over yet..if he fails, he will be over as a great champion, not as a pro rider anyway

Pretty harsh and unnecessary. It’s probably over but Froome doesn’t need to retire ASAP. He owes it to himself to see how far he can come back. Likely won’t be a factor but calling him a “clown” is bush league.