• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 661 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
He couldn't barely walk 1 year ago, there's some videos showing that, but at the same time he could train on the bike, so he thought that he was recovered to compete on a bike, but obviously not, his muscles were full of imbalances, he should have just focus on rehab and gymn in 2020 not on the bike.

I guess you can apparently rationalize "barely able to walk" with "recovery nearly complete" but it's nonsense.

Because in April 2020, he didn't know this would happen .....

“I went to have some scans done straight after the Vuelta and we found that one of the screws was actually piercing through the bone and potentially causing a bit of a grating sensation on the muscle as I was cycling.”
So at the end of October last year he had some potentially severe pain in I guess his hip. That certainly would be limiting and would clearly cause a regression. That's fine but it's also not "barely able to walk" nor is it "a year ago" (somewhere in the June/July time frame).

I get that the guy has had challenges with his recovery. Obviously. He had a LOT to recover from. What I don't get is Froome (the poster's) statements. They simply don't add up to what Froome (the rider) was saying. Not that I buy much of anything Froome the rider says, just pointing out the glaring inconsistency.

Froome seems to think the imbalance in the power of his legs is sorted:

"Froome estimates that he was riding with a 20 per cent deficit in quad strength on the right-hand side last year. He spent much of his winter in California at the Red Bull High Performance Centre in Santa Monica addressing this imbalance. “A big chunk of the first part of this year was also spent doing rehab',” he says. “I think that was a necessary step to take, but it meant that probably the riding side of things got compromised. Anyway, I’m confident that is no longer a factor.”"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling...gs-rehab-made-chris-froome-believe-could-win/

I remain to be convinced but we'll see.

Froome seems to think the imbalance in the power of his legs is sorted:

"Froome estimates that he was riding with a 20 per cent deficit in quad strength on the right-hand side last year. He spent much of his winter in California at the Red Bull High Performance Centre in Santa Monica addressing this imbalance. “A big chunk of the first part of this year was also spent doing rehab',” he says. “I think that was a necessary step to take, but it meant that probably the riding side of things got compromised. Anyway, I’m confident that is no longer a factor.”"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling...gs-rehab-made-chris-froome-believe-could-win/

I remain to be convinced but we'll see.

If it indeed is sorted out, then his performance this year is even more atrocious.

OIP.3taTDjyn0tb65DibHzL5wQHaEK
OIP.I4qCs5rgY8MeW3qjwUS6RgHaE7

This guy starts the Tour de France today, over 2 years after having a life threating crash, his fans should be thankful we still have him in the peloton and will cheer him on whether he wins or not, true fans cheer on the idols whether they win or not and unlike some fans of a certain Spaniard who loved the coffee and horses who only wanted him in the peloton if he was winning.

Congrats Chris on making it back to Le Tour, just being here is an accomplishment

There is such a thing as a champion racing for too long once he's past it. Think back to when Lance Armstrong rode around in the gruppetto in 2010. Actually, even that wasn't as bad as Froome is now because he did finish 22nd overall at 38 minutes from the winner, i.e. something I doubt Froome will be anywhere close to "achieving" in 2021.

"Just being here" has nothing to do with being an accomplishment when there are loads of other guys who can do the same job (i.e. basically finish in the middle of the GC in total anonymity).

And those goalposts with Froome sure have shifted since last year, haven't they? i.e. we've gone from "my healing is almost complete" (& the drama when he wasn't selected by Ineos for last year's Tour, remember?) to now where he's supposed to get a merit medal of sorts for merely showing up at the race.

Chris Horner said he should not even start the TdF because he looks like he's "100 watts" down on the power he needs to race at this level.
Maybe, that won't happen now anyway.

Probably thats for the best, he has proven he could come back from his crash to start the Tdf again, now if he could finish it somewhere btwn 50th and 100th in the GC wouldnt be much of a bigger achievement.

TRENDING THREADS