• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 674 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Finished today 60th +4m25s

Was even worse, over 11 minutes down according to PCS.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires in the closing months of 2021, but he will probably carry on for one more year for the money, and who can blame him?

It has been said on here before, but he actually seems to be getting worse, that Tour De L’Ain a few years ago when he was in final group of about 7/8, whereas now he is getting dropped by sprinters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he retires in the closing months of 2021, but he will probably carry on for one more year for the money, and who can blame him?

It has been said on here before, but he actually seems to be getting worse, that Tour De L’Ain a few years ago when he was in final group of about 7/8, whereas now he is getting dropped by sprinters.
The best for him would be retire in the end of this season, but probably he will do more 1 ou 2 years.

Yep, either of those scenarios seem likely.

Reactions: Poursuivant
It was encouraging to see Chris finish with the leaders (although almost everybody did) in the first two stages of Sicily.
Today was always regarded as the first real climbing day and a test of those 'good legs' Chris has been tweeting about.
Unfortunately he finished 11mins 15secs down on stage winner Valverde who was just one rider in a large group of fifteen that included the mighty Mattia Bais and Davide Gabburo.
Is this progress? Froome has been so far off he may claim it is, but I don't think anybody else can see it.

I think he reached the best form he could at this point for the Tour De L Ain, and the further regression is just age related. Late 30ties thats when most riders decline noticeably.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
Not Valva-Piti apparently. No, it goes to show that Froome is the greatest fraud in cycling history, like Frankenstein fabricated in the laboratory to then come back down to his true level once all the hype passed. The injury was only the catalyst, not the cause.
Well given no one has ever recovered from such injuries to their previous form I suggest you're being rather hard on him. In case you have forgotten he had an open fracture of the femur, fractured pelvis, fractured neck vertebrae, punctured lung or similar, fractured elbow joint and he lost enough blood that he could have easily clocked out at the time. The fact he is riding at all is an achievement given his accident.

Nah, if he's able to ride again, they weren't that bad after all. That he can't even get close to adequite means he's been brought down to his normal level.
Just because he's riding again doesn't mean he's in same physical state as before the accident, there will be muscle/soft tissue damage, nerve damage as well as bone damage. It's obvious his right leg is now weaker than it was before. As I said before no rider has returned to their previous form following such injuries, just look at Beloki for example.

Reactions: Koronin
Just because he's riding again doesn't mean he's in same physical state as before the accident, there will be muscle/soft tissue damage, nerve damage as well as bone damage. It's obvious his right leg is now weaker than it was before. As I said before no rider has returned to their previous form following such injuries, just look at Beloki for example.
Beloki retired, as should Froome if he's in the same plight as the Spaniard. Otherwise he only deceives himself.

Yesterday at the Tour of Sicily Froome punctured and today he went on the attack in a break. (Eventually finishing 13m 21s behind stage winner Nibali).

Chris fished for compliments himself regarding his efforts, sending his twitter followers giddy. Here are some examples :

"You're really getting stronger, at the rate you're going 2022 should be a great season for you! Keep it up!"

"An absolute inspiration Froomy keep it up."

"I was so excited to see you in the breakaway…truly have missed seeing you on the pointy end of the peloton! Keep up the awesome job. We are proud for you! The journey is yours and only yours in YOUR time."

"Looking sharp @chrisfroome greatest comeback in the history of cycling!!"

"Made my day watching you today. Getting stronger!"

"Awesome ride today."

Yesterday at the Tour of Sicily Froome punctured and today he went on the attack in a break. (Eventually finishing 13m 21s behind stage winner Nibali).

Chris fished for compliments himself regarding his efforts, sending his twitter followers giddy. Here are some examples :

"You're really getting stronger, at the rate you're going 2022 should be a great season for you! Keep it up!"

"An absolute inspiration Froomy keep it up."

"I was so excited to see you in the breakaway…truly have missed seeing you on the pointy end of the peloton! Keep up the awesome job. We are proud for you! The journey is yours and only yours in YOUR time."

"Looking sharp @chrisfroome greatest comeback in the history of cycling!!"

"Made my day watching you today. Getting stronger!"

"Awesome ride today."

So what ????????? you act like a troll..................

Not easy to take big conclusion from Sicily. He was working first 2 days, becouse the team have confidence in Goldstein and he puntured in a key moment in the first hard stage, so he was in a second group at 11 minutes.

Today he got the break, wich is possitive. The impression is good, but it difficult to evaluate this time his progresion.

243475445_3704902322946632_6696243745069708366_n.jpg

I don’t currently have WiFi to watch him race in Sicily but how does he look on the bike? He seemed to look in difficulty, on his face and riding position, in earlier races when maintaining any sort of power for long efforts.
The break had 2 riders close to Valverde in GC, so it was a difficult effort. The previous day he was in the first 10 positions of the peloton when he punctured.. He said he had good feelings... But bad luck is like this.

Good news to see he is going to race British championship ITT. I hope he will train ITT bike and improve his position, very bad in that prologue sprint of Slovakia... In a long ITT like this, he had now the shape to do a good result.

TRENDING THREADS