• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 686 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
By that definition, half of the peloton was quite strong at the end of the season.
Half of the peloton cant split the peloton and left just 18 riders with
15:27:53 - October 06, 2021
Most of the pre-race favourites are with Alaphilippe in this move. Roglic, Pogacar, Woods, Valverde, Almeida, Hirschi, are all there.

And later in that group he chase alone as well a break with Vansevenant, Fausto Masnada, and Dries Devenyns (Masnada was a week later second at Lombardia.

But that’s why this is so strange. His performance can be clearly attributed to his crash in addition to his ongoing recovery from the 2019 crash. What does bilharzia have to do with anything at this point?

“Chris Froome had some medical issues this season, and he was completely blocked during the Tour de France,” Israel Start-Up Nation owner Sylvan Adams told VeloNews. “At the Tour, he told me that this year’s Tour de France was more difficult than any Tour he’d ever done before. He was expending massive amounts of energy.”

After the Tour, team doctors put the Kenya-born Froome through a battery of tests, with some wondering if he was perhaps suffering from Barr-Epstein or issues with his femoral arteries in his legs.

Finally, doctors tested for bilharzia,

Contador finished 31st in his first Tour, Froome finished 83rd in his.

I never said he wasn't promising (and if you read my comments in the Clinic you'll see several times that I pegged his potential around the level of Egoí Martínez or Chris Anker Sørensen), I said that the ret-conning around how impressive those few noteworthy showings he had prior to his coming-out party in 2011 had been and how they justified his later development was ludicrous then, and nothing in the last 10 years has changed that to make me go, "you know what, I thought you were clutching at straws ten years ago but now I totally do believe that being distanced from the heads of state just after Johan van Summeren and beating Vincenzo Nibali on two stages despite being hours slower on GC and Nibali being cooked from doing a Giro-Tour double as a 23-year-old totally DOES make it obvious he had the potential to win four Tours".

At the moment, he's probably obliged to claim he's turning a corner because he's being paid like a leader but obviously unable to perform at that level at this stage. At his age and with his injuries that's no disgrace, but obviously despite some people's wishes, on the money he's on there's no obligation on him to retire, a sportsman's career is short, cycling is not particularly highly paid in sporting terms, and as long as he's being paid he should keep showing up to work. In fact, I hope he rides out his contract, not because I wish him any ill or want to see him embarrassed, but because every day of Froome struggling at the back is a monument to Sylvain Adams' hubris.
Really you are going to evaluate his level for a Grand Tour looking at the GC??
Really you pretend to compare Contador story, he was with Manolo Sainz since young, the most revolutionary team for cycling,,and Froome was just enyoying bike in South Africa while studing at the University.

“Chris Froome had some medical issues this season, and he was completely blocked during the Tour de France,” Israel Start-Up Nation owner Sylvan Adams told VeloNews. “At the Tour, he told me that this year’s Tour de France was more difficult than any Tour he’d ever done before. He was expending massive amounts of energy.”

After the Tour, team doctors put the Kenya-born Froome through a battery of tests, with some wondering if he was perhaps suffering from Barr-Epstein or issues with his femoral arteries in his legs.

In Vuelta a Burgos I talked with his director Oscar Guerrero, I said those days this here. He told me they didnt knoww what happens. He was doing test and they didnt know what happened with him...-and he told me was unlikely to go to the Vuelta..just 2 days after days is was public he wanst to the Vuelta. They thinking he will be quite strong after the Tour..but it wanst like this, He was quite strong Froome Slovakia, with that level would have been interesting to see him on la Vuelta, Maybe leader, acording the level of the team, and in a top 20 final position, This winter will be normal for him, no more gym training, so from top 20 to podium is posible. For a rider with his mental strenth is possible, For most of humans of course no.

• Haha
Reactions: Ripper
In Vuelta a Burgos I talked with his director Oscar Guerrero, I said those days this here. He told me they didnt knoww what happens. He was doing test and they didnt know what happened with him...-and he told me was unlikely to go to the Vuelta..just 2 days after days is was public he wanst to the Vuelta. They thinking he will be quite strong after the Tour..but it wanst like this, He was quite strong Froome Slovakia, with that level would have been interesting to see him on la Vuelta, Maybe leader, acording the level of the team, and in a top 20 final position, This winter will be normal for him, no more gym training, so from top 20 to podium is posible. For a rider with his mental strenth is possible, For most of humans of course no.
Lol! zzzzzzzzzzz
:p:p:p:p

• Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Really you are going to evaluate his level for a Grand Tour looking at the GC??
Really you pretend to compare Contador story, he was with Manolo Sainz since young, the most revolutionary team for cycling,,and Froome was just enyoying bike in South Africa while studing at the University.
When we're judging somebody's capability of contesting the GC in a GT, then yes, the GC is a valid evaluation tool. And it was you that introduced the comparison to Contador's first GT to say that Froome's debut was more impressive, not me. So why can't I make the same comparison, if I draw different conclusions from it than you?

And that 17th stage that goes to prove how much more impressive than Contador he apparently was? 30th place, +11'41. After two straight autobus days. Granted, Contador didn't make a top 30 in a mountain stage in 2005. But he did finish 34th, 35th and 36th in different mountain stages, and didn't sit in the autobus once to facilitate that. He finished the race at 1hr 3 minutes from Armstrong. Froome was at 2hr 22 minutes from Sastre.

I agree that GC isn't the only decisive factor - Nairo Quintana's GT debut in 2012 was more impressive than either of them, and he finished 36th, dropping time early but in week 3 he was the best domestique in the race, riding with Contador, Valverde and Rodríguez on Lagos de Covadonga, Cuitu Negru, Fuente Dé and only blowing up on Bola del Mundo. But that doesn't mean I can't find the argument that Froome's 2008 Tour is more impressive than Contador's 2005 Tour because he got in the break (before hitting the wall and dropping eleven minutes) in one hard stage and did a good final time trial to be a reach.

Last edited:
He was quite strong Froome Slovakia, with that level would have been interesting to see him on la Vuelta, Maybe leader, acording the level of the team, and in a top 20 final position,

Of course, finishing 23rd in Slovakia on a relatively easy course, just about 3 minutes behind Peter Sagan and 20 seconds before Daniel Oss is a clear indicator for a top 20 position in the Vuelta. You are completely delusional. With his performances this year, it would already be a reach to say that Froome could have finished in the Top 50.

Of course, finishing 23rd in Slovakia on a relatively easy course, just about 3 minutes behind Peter Sagan and 20 seconds before Daniel Oss is a clear indicator for a top 20 position in the Vuelta. You are completely delusional. With his performances this year, it would already be a reach to say that Froome could have finished in the Top 50.
But if he didn’t have “bilharzia”

So we’re going with the team and everyone besides Sky is incompetent route because they can’t figure out bilharzia when he visits South Africa or wherever he went to when E Barr and bilharzia have differing symptom.

These tests don’t take a month to do and you can run them all at the same time.

Quick af when he needs a defense for why he has too much albuterol but not when he’s trying to figure out what’s wrong with his body.

So we’re going with the team and everyone besides Sky is incompetent route because they can’t figure out bilharzia when he visits South Africa or wherever he went to when E Barr and bilharzia have differing symptom.

I'd argue Sky was the most incompetent, if he had it when he signed in late 2009 and they didn't figure it out until...well who can really follow when they claim to have found it, there have been multiple stories on timing and who/how they found it. Shifting stories of course being a clear indicator of a lie.

If one accepts for the sake of argument that he did have it during that time, pretty amazing that somehow no one found it for well over a year while he was floundering around towing sprinters around. I mean geez, they had a world beater on their hands and had no idea from his testing numbers when they signed him?

The whole thing is just such nonsense.

Reactions: Ripper and SHAD0W93
I'd argue Sky was the most incompetent, if he had it when he signed in late 2009 and they didn't figure it out until...well who can really follow when they claim to have found it, there have been multiple stories on timing and who/how they found it. Shifting stories of course being a clear indicator of a lie.

If one accepts for the sake of argument that he did have it during that time, pretty amazing that somehow no one found it for well over a year while he was floundering around towing sprinters around. I mean geez, they had a world beater on their hands and had no idea from his testing numbers when they signed him?

The whole thing is just such nonsense.
Worse when the whole Team UK was cheering for him during Operation Rainbow to get just 1 point to help get 9 riders for Cavendish at the Worlds. And then be disappointed that he couldn’t get it. He was worth 1 point.

Reactions: Ripper
Absolutely, but when does this round of bilharzia date to? Last year? This year? Was he treated and recovered for the Italian races at the end of the year?

this year..... he was treated and recovered for the end of the year...........

maybe it's time to read about it..............the answers here.......https://www.velonews.com/news/road/chris-froome-hit-with-flare-up-of-parasitic-worms-in-2021/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

this year..... he was treated and recovered for the end of the year...........

maybe it's time to read about it..............the answers here.......https://www.velonews.com/news/road/chris-froome-hit-with-flare-up-of-parasitic-worms-in-2021/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Have read article, and it does not make clear when the onset of this round of bilharzia took effect. The article implies he was fully recovered by the Deutschland tour, which I will go with, though the article is also clear on the fact that Froome does not want to talk about the issue. If he was “recovered” by August, then his results in October don’t seem to reflect that. Which is why I think this is not making sense.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'm a fan and would love to see him come back to anything close to his peak but....

This just seems so odd that any doctor would not test for bilharzia for anyone complaining about fatigue with his medical history. I don't care if he's a pro athlete or just any random old man like me. As a patient with it would have been one of the first things out of my mouth when seeing a doctor.

I'm a fan and would love to see him come back to anything close to his peak but....

This just seems so odd that any doctor would not test for bilharzia for anyone complaining about fatigue with his medical history. I don't care if he's a pro athlete or just any random old man like me. As a patient with it would have been one of the first things out of my mouth when seeing a doctor.
Exactly my thought as well—for a person with a history of infectious diseases who is trying to figure out why they’re not doing so well,an MD would include a test for the previously known disease.

Piggy backing off what Libertine Seguros said, Contador finished 31st supporting Heras and Beloki at first. Froome finished 84th without a leader to support. He could literally do whatever he wanted. In a race which famed climber Erik Zabel and Filippo Pozzato finished 43rd and 67th. On top of Contador returning to racing after actually suffering from a condition, congenital vascular disorder.

Barloworld was not some backwater team that had no idea what they were doing on top of him living in the United Kingdom. There is no way he suffered extended periods from bilharzia. With his geographic background and the key signs and symptoms with easy treatment there is no way. On top of we would have saw the signs of it, especially the ascities unless you want to say his stomach fat was actually abdominal fluid.
Jhon Lee Augustyn and him worked for his sprinter. Robert Hunter, 4th in the first flat stage When Hunter wanst there they were 15thh and 17 in a flat stage.. Froome was in a break in Paris. All of this in a team with 5 riders.

Just after le Tour he did his best result in a classic ever.

Lokk at the ITTs of Contador and Froome at his firrst Tour.

He also crashed heavily before the start of that Giro he won.
There is a big difference, that Giro he was the leader and in thatTour he had to work. I followed every Km of him with the GPS and he was always trying to position his leaders.
Anyway it was spected more from him at the end of le Tour, so the issue he had heath problem it has sense.. Bilharzia? I dont Know..Really it doesnt mind.

Jhon Lee Augustyn and him worked for his sprinter. Robert Hunter, 4th in the first flat stage When Hunter wanst there they were 15thh and 17 in a flat stage.. Froome was in a break in Paris. All of this in a team with 5 riders.

Just after le Tour he did his best result in a classic ever.

Lokk at the ITTs of Contador and Froome at his firrst Tour.
He helped a sprinter on the flat while shipping time, compared to Contador who actually managed to stay in the peloton and helping his leaders.
Froome lost 4:04, 4:55 (2:52), and 4:55 before the first TT. He lost 25:33 and 31:56 to then finish 11:41 behind Sastre, around 3 minutes ahead of Zabel. He then lost 7:07 and 3:08 and then ride the tt. All of his good results came after he shipped time and was to rest more. Yay, he attacked a bunch on a parade day as everyone says. Yes, so Froome was literally allowed to do whatever.

Have you seen who rode that results list? I’ve heard of 5/70 of those riders not counting Froome.

Almost everyone has said that the thing going for Froome was he was decent at TTs, not Contador. It took him awhile.

Honestly his best result against the competition was at Volta ao Distrito de Santarém outside of the Tour in my opinion.

He showed nothing before that Vuelta that he could even contend at a WT stage race. The fact that Team UK was sad he could not gain 1 point is very telling.

TRENDING THREADS