• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 729 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Israel Startup Nation did a deal to sign Chris for €15 million, his Palmares are unchallengeable, he had a terrible accident that brought him close to death, and resulted in him having to learn how to walk again, he then had to learn how to ride a bike again!

Yet he still finishes ahead of other riders in UCI world tour riders sure he is not in the top ten but I wonder how many of those on here being so critical of the man could achieve that?

Chris knows how SKY trained and won,what systems they had in place to support their incredible success and from what I read he seems to lift those around him.

So given that professional cycling is a business, can anyone give a good reason as to WHY, the Israel Startup Nation team would not attempt to recoup some of the investment they have in Chris by NOT taking him to the Tour?

I am not a huge fan of the manner in which he won but I cannot deny his victories INCLUDING his fight back against near-death give the man a break it is too easy sitting on the couch typing smug nonsense and YES I am sure there will be some that say this piece falls into that category.
Ummm, this has already been stated, but he did not have a TBI and have to truly relearn walking and cycling. No doubt he had to approach walking and cycling in a graded rehabilitation process, but not relearn.

As to the bolded, he sure does not seem to have shared any Sky-wisdom to the retirement team or objectively made a difference.

Finally, if IPT want to take him to the Tour, it's Adams' money and he can with it what he wants. But if they get relegated, then ridicule is certainly earned :p

Reactions: Rackham
It is known Froome was dismembered, decapitated, suffered third degree burns over 99% of his body, lost 5 litres of blood (all of it, basically), was half-eaten by a wild boar & worst of all, broke his TT bike (they're very expensive & Dave Brailsford was mega unhappy about it). He also lost his handkerchief as well.

He was basically rebuilt from his hair samples, with his iconic riding style being all that remains of former Froome.
Post of the month at least.

You cannot tell someone's weight from a photo. Focal length, light, angle and other factors make this impossible. This is the same model on the same day with the same angle, same camera...different focal length and light angle. This is an example a bit on the extremes, but makes the point very clearly. She didn’t drop 30 lbs during the shoot…

Perspective-Distortion.jpg

Is this guy getting fatter in real time? Is HGH making his jawline wider in real time?

mJqIwLT-Imgur.gif

Froome may or may not be heavy compared to past participations. Whatever the case, you can't tell from a photo unless you know all the variables of two photos which you may be comparing. Which you don't.

It would be fair to say, "He looks heavier in this photo, I wonder if that's for real or just due to lens distortion". If you see many photos which give you that question, or a video, you might have the beginnings of an argument. But to look at one studio photo (85mm very common in studio) and make a judgement has no merit whatsoever.

Last edited:
Bradley Wiggins says Chris Froome will "surprise us all": Bradley Wiggins says Mark Cavendish deserves Tour de France spot and backs Chris Froome to ‘surprise us all’ - Eurosport

I doubt it. But strange things have happened before in the TdF.

It is known Froome was dismembered, decapitated, suffered third degree burns over 99% of his body, lost 5 litres of blood (all of it, basically), was half-eaten by a wild boar & worst of all, broke his TT bike (they're very expensive & Dave Brailsford was mega unhappy about it). He also lost his handkerchief as well.

He was basically rebuilt from his hair samples, with his iconic riding style being all that remains of former Froome.
They will rebuild him. Faster. Stronger. It will cost them ... $5-$6 million ...

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
You cannot tell someone's weight from a photo. Focal length, light, angle and other factors make this impossible. This is the same model on the same day with the same angle, same camera...different focal length and light angle. This is an example a bit on the extremes, but makes the point very clearly. She didn’t drop 30 lbs during the shoot…

Is this guy getting fatter in real time? Is HGH making his jawline wider in real time?

mJqIwLT-Imgur.gif

Froome may or may not be heavy compared to past participations. Whatever the case, you can't tell from a photo unless you know all the variables of two photos which you may be comparing. Which you don't.

It would be fair to say, "He looks heavier in this photo, I wonder if that's for real or just due to lens distortion". If you see many photos which give you that question, or a video, you might have the beginnings of an argument. But to look at one studio photo (85mm very common in studio) and make a judgement has no merit whatsoever.
Great post! I learned something :)

mJqIwLT-Imgur.gif

This was my point. Several posts said he looked heavy, I am simply asking for better evidence.

Good luck, Chris!… :)

He, however, looks chubby - slightly overweight…

Imagine someone has been in hospital or in jail since summer 2019, leaves in summer 2022, and gets told that Froome starts the Tour 2022, but will be a domestique for Fuglsang… I think no one would believe that… ;)

But Chris still has what is needed, and still is one of the 200 best of his profession. He was the best in the world for a few years, and still is good. He obviously still likes what he does, and the number of his supporters and fans might even have increased since 2019. Glad that he‘s still around… :)

Well, Fuglsang was incredibly good in the spring of 2019, so I don't know how far-fetched that actually is.

TRENDING THREADS