• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 748 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Chris Froome at the conclusion of the 2022 season:

"I was finally niggle and injury-free at the start of the year and looking forward to trying to build up back to my old form.
"I started finding my legs at the Tour and after finishing third on Alpe d'Huez I felt I was getting stronger and stronger as the race went on.
"My eyes were set on victory at the Queen stage to Hautacam, I felt fantastic having opened my legs up in the mountains, but was hit by Covid 19, ending my hopes of competing for the win.
"The Vuelta had been a season-long goal, but the effects of Covid really effected my build-up and sadly I was not in condition to compete for the overall victory, which had been my aim.
"It was like training with the handbrake on and put me at a big disadvantage for the rest of the year.
"I felt I could not push to the level I wanted to so the results were not what we expected.
I now have a clear break during the off-season and a plan to build back to my old form with blocks of training at altitude and an opportunity to put in the hard miles.
"I think in 2023 I will be able to get up to the level I want to.
"People don't realise how serious those crash injuries were, but with a bit more time and our training plan I expect to be in good condition next year and hopefully be able to compete as I want to."

Only belatedly reading those comments now and Froome does not appear to lack faith in his own ability. He was never going to compete for victory on Hautacam during the Tour, even as part of a breakaway, so that was delusion.

As for competing to win his third Vuelta, that was delusion as well. He has shown nothing to suggest that he can ever get back close to his peak levels.

Then to think that he can return to his best form next year in his 38th year is yet further delusion. I’m. not sure if he is just saying it in order to pacify sponsors but it is not rational.

Only belatedly reading those comments now and Froome does not appear to lack faith in his own ability. He was never going to compete for victory on Hautacam during the Tour, even as part of a breakaway, so that was delusion.

As for competing to win his third Vuelta, that was delusion as well. He has shown nothing to suggest that he can ever get back close to his peak levels.

Then to think that he can return to his best form next year in his 38th year is yet further delusion. I’m. not sure if he is just saying it in order to pacify sponsors but it is not rational.
I don't think those are actual quotes.

These quotes are my prediction as to what Froome will say at the end of the season, although I know it was a push to predict a Hautacam win.
Even Froome would not go that far with his promises.

These quotes are my prediction as to what Froome will say at the end of the season, although I know it was a push to predict a Hautacam win.
Even Froome would not go that far with his promises.

Ah, I mistakenly took them for Froome's own words! I think if he didn't have such a lucrative contract with IPT then he could well have quit the sport by now, he's probably trying to justify his contract in some way by constantly talking up his future prospects.

At this year's TourdeFrance Chris made a conscious effort everyday to stay with the peloton, stay as long as he could with the best riders and leaders, even if he was swinging at the back.
However at this Vuelta we are witnessing a completely different performance.
He could not even finish with his Israel team's mediocre TTT performance, rolling in a couple of minutes behind them.
Today, he was again spotted at the back of the peloton, but was not even competing to stay with the leaders during the run to the line.
He eventually came in 14mins and 13secs behind the winner.
Any hopes the Froome return to top level is even the remotest possibility are surely dashed, based on this ordinary display.

Reactions: stonerider
No problem, actually…

Chris had to leave this year‘s TdF only short time before Paris. He was 26th in GC when he left. On Alpe d‘Huez MTF, he was third.

The Tour is what counts for him. The best riders in best shape ride there, at the TdF. Vuelta is important, but less important than the TdF.

His 2022 TdF was a success, and much better than expected. That is what counts, and what will motivate him.

I will not be surprised if Chris Froome steps off the bike this weekend and maybe calls it a day, not just for this Vuelta, but his career.

"This week had told me finally that despite everything I gave to return to my former level it was just not possible. There was nothing more I could have done and I leave the top-level of the sport with my head held high.
"It has been a difficult moment to face up to, but when it came to it I knew the time was right and it is only fair to the team and my teammates to concede I could no longer contribute to the level I expect to."

Reactions: Bolder
I will not be surprised if Chris Froome steps off the bike this weekend and maybe calls it a day, not just for this Vuelta, but his career.

"This week had told me finally that despite everything I gave to return to my former level it was just not possible. There was nothing more I could have done and I leave the top-level of the sport with my head held high.
"It has been a difficult moment to face up to, but when it came to it I knew the time was right and it is only fair to the team and my teammates to concede I could no longer contribute to the level I expect to."
Retirement has to be at the back of his mind at least, all things considered. If he wanted to do an additional season he would be taking a sizeable pay cut even though his name on its own adds some value to whatever team he signed for. I get the feeling that if he top tenned the Tour he would have taken that as a good way to retire and finished at the end of this season but his competitive nature might also keep him going a bit longer.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

I say fake news
Until you cite your source

TRENDING THREADS