• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 752 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Following his recent battery of physical tests in Israel, including his VO2 Max which has shrunk from 89.5 to 75.0, the man himself has given his youtube followers this nugget of information.

"For those wondering about the results from my muscle biopsy, it turns out I have the best mitochondria they’d ever seen - “mutant” even :sweatsmile: weird flex but I’ll take it." :tearsofjoy:

Following his recent battery of physical tests in Israel, including his VO2 Max which has shrunk from 89.5 to 75.0, the man himself has given his youtube followers this nugget of information.

"For those wondering about the results from my muscle biopsy, it turns out I have the best mitochondria they’d ever seen - “mutant” even :sweatsmile: weird flex but I’ll take it." :tearsofjoy:
Probably is Vo2 max will never reach 89.5 anymore, but it didn't decreased so much like 89.5 to 75. The vo2 max increases with training, and he is in off season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Oh no. The last references I recall embracing the Mutant capabilities: Miguel and the Texas Poseur.

I would think so considering they won two stages but who knows.

I think so too. Cofidis, AG2R, Groupama, Arkéa and TotalEnergies get automatic invites, and they have room for two wildcards. There's only one French team left (B&B Hotels), so Israel should be there.

Unless they are busy riding Sylvan Adams' rivaling Tour de France in America at that time, of course.

Even I was shocked by these latest Chris Froome quotes regarding his future.
A dignified retirement would seem the obvious option, but no he will be there in 2023 and is still talking about challenging for victory in the Tour de France!
Maybe he is just saying this to remind ASO he is around and ensure his Israel team get a wildcard.

"The dream is always there," says Froome. "But I know there are other steps I need to take before that's even a real concern for me.
"Before focusing on a goal like riding GC at the Tour de France I have to at least chase some smaller goals, like week-long stage races."

Er...yeah Chris, showing even a glimmer of form at a relatively minor stage race would be absolutely huge compared to what you have shown us the last three years.
Heck, even staying with the favourites during an uptempo climb would be an achievement Chris. You are miles away from any sort of competivity.

Is there a prize for most hopelesly optimistic rider in the pro peloton?

Froome, aged 50: I still think I can win a fifth Tour!
He's shooting for Rebellin's record now that winning seven or eight or nine Tours is gone (remember when he predicted that?). Pity there's 60-year-olds racing keirin in Japan, he'll never get the all-time oldest pro cyclist record, just the European.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
LATEST VO2 MAX NUMBERS!

News Flash : Chris Froome has revealed his current VO2 Max in his latest youtube video.

The results make for devastating reading for Froome fans still dreaming of Tour de France dominance.

To summerise : Peak 2015 Froome = 89.5. Peak 2022 Froome = 75.0.

Chris undertook the test, remarkably claiming the last time he undertook one was in 2015's much-publicised examination by GSK Human Performance Lab.

The GSK VO2 Max test in 2015 at a 70 kilo Froome = 84.4.

When his lowest-known race weight for that year was factored in (66 kilos at the Dauphine) this gave a remarkable score of 89.5.

In his current post-season condition Froome's VO2 Max was a miserable 72.1 and when calculated for his current ideal race-weight it converted to 75.0.

That 75.0 is the absolute maximum Chris Froome can reach after shedding weight and getting himself in peak condition for the 2023 season, which is absolutely miles off his former numbers.

Oh yeah, talking of Froome's "numbers" do you remember when he first signed for Israel and their PR spin was that they were as good as ever?

Total garbage and I can't believe Chris put this video out.

You seem very offended, Why?

Reactions: pastronef
Hi, there was a picture/topic back in the day, showing the Team Sky riders potential evaluation or something like that, showing Team Sky in 2010 or 2011 and how low in the pecking order Froome was. Does anyone remember that or have access to it?

I dont know how I can put in pictures while on the phone, but if you scroll down you should find it here.
0kju848hq8111.jpg

TRENDING THREADS