• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 755 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I know what you mean, but riders who have a decent Summer will probably be okay, even in a January time trial.
It is not much to go on, but I shudder at the prospect for Froome, who had no TT power earlier this year and now complains of a loss of energy post-Covid and has seen his VO2 Max collapse.
If his time trialing abilities are now further diminished from the ordinary level they were at then this Tour Down Under could be painful viewing for Froome fans.
I hope not.
I'm a big froome fan, and it's not painful to me watch him on that level. Since the crash i don't have expectations about him. The guy nearly dead, his body were almost broken, so it's a victory for him being able to ride now. I'm quite happy see him just ride even if he will never go back to his best level. It was a great achievement for him ride his bike every day after that crash.
The only problem was is declarations about saying is goal being win the tour again, saying that he was 100% recovered from the crash. He shouldn't said that because he was putting expectations very high on his fans, and a stuff for his haters like for example we see on this forum, mock him and ridicule him.
He was talking more with this emotions than with is head.
Despite that, i don't understand the ridiculous hate on him altough is some "delusional" declarations. He is a polite and humble guy, praised for almost peloton. Joao almeida in a interview last week on portuguese channel said that froome is his idol, not just because what he achieved, but also because he is a humble, polite guy when he talks with him.
He is not a dumba** guy/bully like armstrong. I prefer to praise him for doing everything to comeback to his best, kudos for that, even if it almost impossible. And after all, he will be always in the history of cycling after what he accomplished. It makes me confused people here mock a guy that almost lost his life after break so many bones, and lose 2 liters of blood, even if sometimes he makes some delusional statements.

Last edited:
froome's decline is not sad, more like karmagasmic

Perhaps, but I can't see why you'd want to repeat the same joke over and over, although it might have been funny for a while (I've made Froome jokes myself on this forum). I know that Froome does pretty much the same thing, but I find it pretty easy to ignore.

But if someone thinks those posts add value to their lives, then who am I to judge?

Last edited:
While I don’t like Froome, the posts are making me hope he does come back and win something no matter the odds of that occurring. The man survived a gruesome crash, continues to do what he loves, and got paid well to continue doing what he loves. You can’t be mad at that.
thing is... unless he is gifted he isn't winning anything anymore. certainly not a WT or even a level below. and he is fully aware of it, has been since crash/return and is just spinning the media attention because it's good for business. that's all.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
In the video (at approximately 7.00 mins) Chris Froome's legs are being tested with simple balance exercises.
Even these basic tests show to the naked eye his right leg (which snapped during the 2019 crash) is not as strong as his left and by this point surely never will be.

Lance Armstrong couldn't help having a pop at Christopher Clive Froome when recently chatting on his podcast about the 2023 Tour de France.
His former race director Johan Bruyneel suggested Israel Premier Tech should sign Mark Cavendish, which would assure their wild card inclusion in the race.
"If they do that Cav should take Chris Froome's place," quipped Armstrong, with a sleazy smile on his smug face.
Make him eat his words Chris.

Lance Armstrong couldn't help having a pop at Christopher Clive Froome when recently chatting on his podcast about the 2023 Tour de France.
His former race director Johan Bruyneel suggested Israel Premier Tech should sign Mark Cavendish, which would assure their wild card inclusion in the race.
"If they do that Cav should take Chris Froome's place," quipped Armstrong, with a sleazy smile on his smug face.
He is such a terrible person.

Contrast it to Van Vleuten. She does not have a multi million $ contract. She has crashed, broken a number of bones numerous times in her career. Yet she quietly trains after healing, after each adversity, comes back stronger than ever. She does not make any predictions, she just shows it on the bike and lets the legs do all the talking.
It wouldn't hurt Froome to be realistic though. Its clear to most people

Sorry, is he wrong? Or if we just call his smile "sleazy" that's a good enough argument? Cav could break the all time stage record and could easily get a couple stage wins. Froome has almost no chance of a win. I mean, no reason why that team couldn't field both of them, but if you had to pick...

Contrast it to Van Vleuten. She does not have a multi million $ contract. She has crashed, broken a number of bones numerous times in her career. Yet she quietly trains after healing, after each adversity, comes back stronger than ever. She does not make any predictions, she just shows it on the bike and lets the legs do all the talking.
It wouldn't hurt Froome to be realistic though. Its clear to most people

When has Van Vleuten ever been out for more than a few weeks after a crash? Even with her Rio crash she was back winning within a month

Reactions: pastronef
She was out for 5 months after the Worlds in Insbruck.

thats just called the off season on the Womens world tour, there was only one womens race post Worlds in 2018, the Tour of Guangxi, which she didnt need to go to as she'd already taken the WWT leaders jersey, and none of her rivals for it raced, so didnt have to race again till Omloop Het Nieuwsblad the next year in March, week later she wins Strada Bianche

Reactions: pastronef

TRENDING THREADS