• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Horner Interview

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hope this doesn't clog up the page, but I couldn't find another thread to post it in. Recent interview with Chris Horner on KTVZ-TV in Oregon.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/category.asp?C=98362&nav=menu578_4

Chris always gives a good interview. He is pretty blunt in his criticism of Contador's tactics, but clearly explains why.

This interview was done yesterday, so it is "pre" Team Radioshack announcement, but it sounds like he is definitely on board.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:
Hope this doesn't clog up the page, but I couldn't find another thread to post it in. Recent interview with Chris Horner on KTVZ-TV in Oregon.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/category.asp?C=98362&nav=menu578_4

Chris always gives a good interview. He is pretty blunt in his criticism of Contador's tactics, but clearly explains why.

Wtf? Did the commentator say "There's 2006 Tour de France winner Floyd Landis looking fitter than ever"?

Edit: ok, now I just saw the correct vidoe w/ Horner interview, but it's scary and dissapointing how fast one can forget or accept Landis' doping.

zastomito said:
They call him "The Redneck". It's obvious why. Stupid pri**.

1232550426_worffacepalm.gif

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I like Horner, but I think he is off on his evaluation, but then again may be the interview was conducted before the details of stage 17 were known. From the outset, as we all knew despite protests from Astana to the contrary, it was always Contador v Lance. Horner's omission from the team in preference for Contador's pick of Pauhlino proved this, as did Horner's comments that Lance would have been in yellow if Horner had been on the team. As for stage 17, this has been argued to death in another thread, but an attack of less than a minute did not change the GC standings because Kloden was bonking anyway and would have dropped back regardless.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
oregonian article

interesting comment in oregonian yesterday.

http://bit.ly/dKV9x

Oregon cyclist Chris Horner, who is teammates with Astana's Lance Armstrong, told The Oregonian today that he's unsure which team he will ride with next year.

"I have talked with Lance and Johan some already," Horner said, "but nothing is set yet."

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Landis is a cheat and an embarrasment...as is Tyler Hamilton...and I wouldn't trust Basso with a tricycle.

David Millar, however, has not only done his time, but has endured much additional scrutiny. He didn't protest his innocence and immediately took responsibility for his actions. He served his time and has been a paragon of reform. Including him in the same breath as Landis, Basso, or any of the other drug cheats is disrespectful and disingenuous.

As for Horner's comments, they weren't out of line at all...one of the reasons I've only slightly participated in this forum is that there are two sets of fanboys that shout down opposition, but hardly ever discuss cycling as such.

I've been around so long that I remember waiting on Wednesdays at the bike shop for the month's new mags to read about Andy, Phil, and Greg and their exploits in the Giro and Tour and other events (and my "hero" was Mr. Fignon, btw), but there are those here who have immediately identified me as a cycling newb and otherwise less than dirt because I believe I have a firm grasp on team tactics (and yes, I was "only" a Cat4 in my youth) and right behavior. You can criticize LA, LL, and Horner for speaking publicly (and I certainly don't sanction their behavior), but that in no way clears AC of HIS behavior.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Hey! No problems with me unless you stand on my dog!

I'd never stand on any dog. I like dogs. I am reserved around clowns. I am really skeptical of the reaction levels on these forums, though. I've known Horner for awhile and he has earned the right to express himself. He's done some hard time to get there. He's made his share of mistakes.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:
Landis is a cheat and an embarrasment...as is Tyler Hamilton...and I wouldn't trust Basso with a tricycle.

David Millar, however, has not only done his time, but has endured much additional scrutiny. He didn't protest his innocence and immediately took responsibility for his actions. He served his time and has been a paragon of reform. Including him in the same breath as Landis, Basso, or any of the other drug cheats is disrespectful and disingenuous.

As for Horner's comments, they weren't out of line at all...one of the reasons I've only slightly participated in this forum is that there are two sets of fanboys that shout down opposition, but hardly ever discuss cycling as such.

I've been around so long that I remember waiting on Wednesdays at the bike shop for the month's new mags to read about Andy, Phil, and Greg and their exploits in the Giro and Tour and other events (and my "hero" was Mr. Fignon, btw), but there are those here who have immediately identified me as a cycling newb and otherwise less than dirt because I believe I have a firm grasp on team tactics (and yes, I was "only" a Cat4 in my youth) and right behavior. You can criticize LA, LL, and Horner for speaking publicly (and I certainly don't sanction their behavior), but that in no way clears AC of HIS behavior.

What behavior from Contador are you speaking of? Really? The small tactical mistake...the same stage where LA made the mistake of not following Frank? If that is what you are speaking of you have a very hightened sense of what is bad behavior.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
What behavior from Contador are you speaking of? Really? The small tactical mistake...the same stage where LA made the mistake of not following Frank? If that is what you are speaking of you have a very hightened sense of what is bad behavior.
THREE behaviors on two stages, actually...

Attacking your own squad on Verbier...attacking your own squad again and losing Klodi his podium placing...and then not fighting for the win on the same stage. If you're the leader and you attack, you attack for precisely three reasons: 1. put time into your rivals (not accomplished); 2. win a stage (not accomplished); or 3. as a counter-attack (didn't happen)

If any one of those three had happened, I would have no issue with AC's attack. The fact that none of those things happened indicates to me a significant lack of tactical knowledge and a poor understanding of leadership. Honestly, had AC not been on Astana this year, he might've started with a 3 minute deficit like Evans did...he would've overcome that deficit by the end, but it would've been a MUCH closer and more difficult tour for him...so yes, the team DID help him, no matter what the fanboys say.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:

I agree with you on Millar. Not at all the same type of doper/rider as Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis and Basso.

But, ACs behaviour? As mentioned above, a tactical glitch, but nothing like the public badmouthing Lance (on twitter and to "regular" media) and Levi (on twitter) have been doing. You don't want guys like that on your team. And Brunyeel not coming with his team captain for a rest day press conference? I've never heard of anything like that in the tour de france.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello,
Do you want brand shoes or fashion handbag, glasses,clothing and so on ?

Welcome to our website: http://www.shoes-trader.com . We can wholesale and retail all kinds of brand name shoes,t-shirts ,boots ,hoodies,jeans,handbags,purse,wallets,caps,sunglas ses belts,Such as Dsquard shoes,Nike Air max, D&G shoes,PRADA shoes, jordan,Dunk,Nike shox, Air force one,Adidas, Puma, Gucci, Prada,Bape,Timberland shoes, t-shirts,jeans, shorts and so on.Reliability is our strong point.And we can offer all COLORS and all SIZE.

Welcome to our website for more details. http://www.shoes-trader.com
our new email : alanshoestrader@gmail.com
our new msn : alanshoestrader@hotmail.com
We await your good news

May 19, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Just bitterness is coming off his mouth.... Blame JB for not choosing him-AC has nothing to do with that... just let it go
He's got to do some serious *** kissing if he wants to ride next year though...

He blamed politics, not Contador. It's a fact, Contador was made leader by JB and got to chose the last guy and he chose his guy which was Sergio P.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:

Attacking your own squad on Verbier...attacking your own squad again and losing Klodi his podium placing...and then not fighting for the win on the same stage. If you're the leader and you attack, you attack for precisely three reasons: 1. put time into your rivals (not accomplished); 2. win a stage (not accomplished); or 3. as a counter-attack (didn't happen)

If any one of those three had happened, I would have no issue with AC's attack. The fact that none of those things happened indicates to me a significant lack of tactical knowledge and a poor understanding of leadership. Honestly, had AC not been on Astana this year, he might've started with a 3 minute deficit like Evans did...he would've overcome that deficit by the end, but it would've been a MUCH closer and more difficult tour for him...so yes, the team DID help him, no matter what the fanboys say.

Well, anyway, thanks for labling me a fanboy...I have also been labled a hater. Don't care one way or the other...just think you are crazy. The attack on Verbier? WTF? No problem there. Kloden bonked...was cooked...that was such a minor tactical mistake...yet you act like he is a demon. I really think you ought to rethink your position.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
SIXERGT said:
Hello,
Do you want brand shoes or fashion handbag, glasses,clothing and so on ?

Welcome to our website: http://www.shoes-trader.com . We can wholesale and retail all kinds of brand name shoes,t-shirts ,boots ,hoodies,jeans,handbags,purse,wallets,caps,sunglas ses belts,Such as Dsquard shoes,Nike Air max, D&G shoes,PRADA shoes, jordan,Dunk,Nike shox, Air force one,Adidas, Puma, Gucci, Prada,Bape,Timberland shoes, t-shirts,jeans, shorts and so on.Reliability is our strong point.And we can offer all COLORS and all SIZE.

Welcome to our website for more details. http://www.shoes-trader.com
our new email : alanshoestrader@gmail.com
our new msn : alanshoestrader@hotmail.com
We await your good news

at least this bot is not talking about doping. :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
janus1969 said:

Attacking your own squad on Verbier
Does not compute. Please explain why an attack by the team leader that succeeds in putting time into all rivals is a bad behavior. Cause I can think of lots of other teams in the tour that would love to have such bad behavior.

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
harlond said:
Does not compute. Please explain why an attack by the team leader that succeeds in putting time into all rivals is a bad behavior.

Let me try.

He didn't put time into his rivals (they finished same time with him). He put his rivals ahead of his team on GC. Now if he were to suffer the same fate as Leipheimer there is no teammate to jump from second to first. Astana loses it all. This is the team tactical situation people are referring to; it is not about being the winner of a strongest man competition. It is a team sport, at least it is supposed to be. Hope that helps.

Max Cadence said:
Let me try.

He didn't put time into his rivals (they finished same time with him). He put his rivals ahead of his team on GC. Now if he were to suffer the same fate as Leipheimer there is no teammate to jump from second to first. Astana loses it all. This is the team tactical situation people are referring to; it is not about being the winner of a strongest man competition. It is a team sport, at least it is supposed to be. Hope that helps.

I believe the original commenter was talking about Verbier (where he picked up a ton of time) or Arcalis (where he picked up 20 seconds on the other GC candidates).

What I find disingenuous about Horner's comments is that he doesn't give Armstrong crap for his bonehead move that allowed Frank to bridge up to Andy (who was isolated with AC and AK). If Lance is paying attention, Frank has to stay back with him and Wiggins, and can't help his brother. Armstrong's blunder was MUCH more costly from a tactical standpoint. Much more so.

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I believe the original commenter was talking about Verbier.

Yes, you are correct. The thread is in regard to the Horner interview so I answered the question in general terms in order to explain:

"why an attack by the team leader that succeeds in putting time into all rivals is a bad behavior."

So are we discussing Verbier or the Horner interview? Apparently some of us are unsure. Thanks for setting me straight.

TRENDING THREADS