• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris King Bottom Bracket - Reviews?

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a bulletproof, or at least bb-resistant bottom bracket for a SRAM setup. Anyone have experience with Chris King BB's? I know they start out tight, but that's OK. I would like to have a bottom bracket that might actually last a riding season and the stock SRAM apparently isn't the right horse to ride.

Thx!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I'm also curious. Since it's King one would just presume that it's good and you get what you pay for. ScRAM BB's have been nothing but trouble, but that's really my only complaint with them.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Have a set of Enduro bearings fitted to your bottom bracket cups for substantially less than a CK and you'll be sweet. Those things have proved to be very durable in wet and muddy New Zealand.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
when does one know when a bb is no longer good? i have been riding my dura ace bb's for years maybe 30 or 40 thousand miles i assume i should replace it. on my s-works i have a hybrid ceramic bb made by origin 8 i will not be using steel bearings ever again the ceramics are exceptionally smooth noticeably better.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:
I'm looking for a bulletproof, or at least bb-resistant bottom bracket for a SRAM setup. Anyone have experience with Chris King BB's? I know they start out tight, but that's OK. I would like to have a bottom bracket that might actually last a riding season and the stock SRAM apparently isn't the right horse to ride.

Thx!

CK BB's seem to get good reviews, but remember they are throwaways, the bearings are not replaceable , not for the user at least.

For my money I'd get a Hope Stainless model from Wiggle.uk for $80. They have excellent non contact external seals, and the bearings are fully replaceable. They have informative videos on youtube about servicing them too.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a C.King BB on my R3sl and it is a good BB. Better then the enduro bearings I use to use. I have about 1500 miles on it and it still runs smooth as glass. I have done zero work on it. If you don't Like the C.K. the other option I would chose is Phil Wood BB...

I have the Chris King Shimano BB; SRAM one is the same as far as I know, just SRAM specific. I only have 1,000 miles with it so far, but have been very pleased.

I like the fact that you can service it at home with just a torque wrench and a grease gun, provided you get the BB injector tool along with the BB.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
CK BB was silky smooth and noiseless for 36 miles....I'm pretty sure the bike is actually faster with it....it was pure bliss....then my bike started creaking again. Not sure if it's the BB or something else doing the creaking.

I'm really starting to hate the amount of maintenance involved in road bikes. Motorcycles were easy compared to chasing these stupid gremlins.

Thanks for the feedback though.

AnythingButKestrel said:
CK BB was silky smooth and noiseless for 36 miles....I'm pretty sure the bike is actually faster with it....it was pure bliss....then my bike started creaking again. Not sure if it's the BB or something else doing the creaking.

I'm really starting to hate the amount of maintenance involved in road bikes. Motorcycles were easy compared to chasing these stupid gremlins.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Don't know if you looked at the Head Set as the cause of the noise. I had a "creaking" sound whenever I was out of the saddle and that was the culprit in my case.

Good luck.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
AnythingButKestrel said:

Yeah, I never had a creak from a bicycle in 3 decades until I started using cartridge BB's 10 years ago. From what I hear, the outboard designs are no better for noise. Now I've got a squeaky seat too, WTF ..... a seat that squeaks from the inside? Yeah ..... believe it, and it isn't the seatpost, I've use the same Campy SR one since the 80's.

The easiest way to isolate a BB noise is to take off the chain, roll down the driveway with the arms in the 9/3 position and kinda hop to apply pressure to the crank arms. Spin forward on rotation , do it again. If stil no noise try spinning forward a few rotations. If it's from the headset it's real easy to pinpoint it if you have good hearing. Just lean over and let your ears guide you. Or , put your bike on a trainer inside where it's quiet and stand on the chainless drivetrain and pull the bars back and forth.

PITA for sure.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you use anti-seize on your BB. It's aluminum on aluminum. Grease will eventually wear away. I do this on every metal part since I live in Florida. Stuff just seem's to rust just looking at it...

TRENDING THREADS