• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

City You Would Never Live In?

We all have them, cities or towns you would never live in, no matter what. You don't even want to drive through it. If a company gave you a job offer that paid mid-six figures, you'd probably turn it down.

My pick is El Paso, Texas.

2464413192_1m

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Interesting thread, there are many places I would not want to live but of the international places I have spent time in I would have to go with San Paulo, Brazil. It was okay for business but I never felt safe or at home.

However since I doubt I will be offered a long term job there. Domestically I would have to go with Provo, Ut. On the outside a nice quite town but man I could never adjust to the way of life there. On the flipside, if offered a job in the mid-sixes I could find a way to commute from Park City.

i would go with either mexico city prolly. but there are so many cities i would never want to live in that its hard to chose.

the cities i hope i get to live/work in for at least some time in the future are no doubt new york and tokio like with no doubt at all.

Parrulo said:
i would go with either mexico city prolly. but there are so many cities i would never want to live in that its hard to chose.

the cities i hope i get to live/work in for at least some time in the future are no doubt new york and tokio like with no doubt at all.

I dont think Cuidad de Mexico is that bad. The big cities like Mexico, Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro (though thiose who have seen cuidade de deus may disagree) even with high crime rates are ok because even with the bad areas they have the business districts as well, and the tourism angle.

I would say that in that country Juarez, Tj and any city in Siniloa are worse. Of course in all these cases their danger is a recent development due to Mexican gangs realising their proximity to the US gives them more power with the narco thing than South Americans. 20 years ago Cali and Medellin would have been worse.

The worst city in the world is obviously Mogadishu. Though maybe Pyonyang.

But staying out of war zones or dictatorships i would say ,
Belfast (perhaps),
Volgograd
Kingston,
San Salvador
Gotham city

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
anywhere in Somalia. Of all the places I had the pleasure to visit...it was absolutely the most miserable place I spent time in. Anywhere in Mexico I can make it happen. That part of Africa had me .............LOST.

The Hitch said:
Gotham city

i lol'd irl

also rio de janeiro is much worse then you can imagine. my aunt told me the other day that one of her best friends was completely insane (tried to commit suicide a few times already) because on her honeymoon in rio de janeiro her husband got shot in the head in the middle of one of the biggest and most famous beaches of the city for a simple photographic camera.

still there are so many cities i wouldn't live in. tbh i think we should go for only cities from developed countries cus ofc no1 wants to live in somalia :p so picking city from a fully developed country i would go with any city in republican states in the US like alabama or el passo or dallas or anything like that :p

Parrulo said:
i lol'd irl

also rio de janeiro is much worse then you can imagine. my aunt told me the other day that one of her best friends was completely insane (tried to commit suicide a few times already) because on her honeymoon in rio de janeiro her husband got shot in the head in the middle of one of the biggest and most famous beaches of the city for a simple photographic camera.

still there are so many cities i wouldn't live in. tbh i think we should go for only cities from developed countries cus ofc no1 wants to live in somalia :p so picking city from a fully developed country i would go with any city in republican states in the US like alabama or el passo or dallas or anything like that :p

I dont think i underestimated Rio. In the book and film i mention (city of god, being portugese, you should definately watch it since it will come out even better to you than it does to me), based on true stories, children of 8 9 and 10, murder, get addicted to drugs and even get high up places in gangs.

I just think there are areas which are a lot better. if they werent they wouldnt have so much tourism and they certainatly wouldnt have got the olympics.

The Hitch said:
I dont think i underestimated Rio. In the book and film i mention (city of god, being portugese, you should definately watch it since it will come out even better to you than it does to me), based on true stories, children of 8 9 and 10, murder, get addicted to drugs and even get high up places in gangs.

I just think there are areas which are a lot better. if they werent they wouldnt have so much tourism and they certainatly wouldnt have got the olympics.

i have seen that film. i have seen a small part of a subed version of the film on youtube and the translation doesn't cut it. the portuguese language is very trick and has a lot of ways of saying the same thing so there is a lot of stuff literally lost in translation. you should also watch "força de elite" that one is about the brazilian special forces (same director as the cidade de deus movie i think)

there aren't any good zones in rio really just zones that are less dangerous due to having cops every 10 meters. also its a very limited zone compared the city actually size and we shouldn't even talk about the favelas (where both those movies we mentioned happen) thats a different world.

oh and they only got the Olympics cus the promised to fight crime for the next years like if there was no tomorrow. the current economical crisis sucks up pretty much all information time in portugal atm the rest is for the japan crisis and lybia and that. but just a couple of weeks ago they were showing pics of rio and it was a complete civil war inside the favelas against crime. the favelas gangs even took out an army chopper with a rocket.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i have seen that film. i have seen a small part of a subed version of the film on youtube and the translation doesn't cut it. the portuguese language is very trick and has a lot of ways of saying the same thing so there is a lot of stuff literally lost in translation. you should also watch "força de elite" that one is about the brazilian special forces (same director as the cidade de deus movie i think)

there aren't any good zones in rio really just zones that are less dangerous due to having cops every 10 meters. also its a very limited zone compared the city actually size and we shouldn't even talk about the favelas (where both those movies we mentioned happen) thats a different world.

oh and they only got the Olympics cus the promised to fight crime for the next years like if there was no tomorrow. the current economical crisis sucks up pretty much all information time in portugal atm the rest is for the japan crisis and lybia and that. but just a couple of weeks ago they were showing pics of rio and it was a complete civil war inside the favelas against crime. the favelas gangs even took out an army chopper with a rocket.
Where are you from Parrulo?

Parrulo said:

Yeup. Mexico City.
But you are brave one picking Tokyo... you might want to wait a while :(
Others: most places S x SE of Europe.

Personal selections, in no particular order and all based on experience and the idea of actually living and working there.

London, UK - I actually lived there for four minutes once.

Joensuu, Finland - Beautiful surrounding area but the city was kind of scary.

Joensuu_toria.jpg

Oxford, UK - Lived there for three years, unconnected to the academic aspects of the place. Hated everything about it.

blackbird-leys.jpg

Dublin, Ireland - Apart from Guinness and a nice art gallery, it depressed me. It's probably really bad now.

Charleroi, Belgium - People who know Belgium will know what I mean. Charleroi is why man invented beltways/ring roads.

5150328489_d837b4eafa.jpg

See also: great thread on skyscrapercity.com: Ugliest City in Western Europe

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to live in any city which requires you to drive a car every time you go somewhere, ie, I prefer to cycle, walk or use public transport.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This may surprise some people but I wouldn't want to live in Paris. It's great for a long weekend and all, but to live there it's too big, too expensive, too many tourists, takes forever to get places ...

Glenn_Wilson said:
Where are you from Parrulo?

portugal

from a small town on the north called Monção

town center (its one of the first towns in portugal's history so that place has more then 500 years i think, ofc it changed with time)
dsc00454yu2.jpg

across the river its spain so we have walls ^_^

9098697.jpg

3963046625_083fe42868.jpg

same place as the first photo

but atm i study in oporto(also a beautiful city) where i live during the week

2476453985_f05d6a7da1.jpg

Av+Aliados+01.jpg

on3m@n@rmy said:
Yeup. Mexico City.
But you are brave one picking Tokyo... you might want to wait a while :(
Others: most places S x SE of Europe.

i have always been a big fan of japanese culture and have always been fascinated by tokyo as a city. besides i still have to graduate and all that so i have time :p

parrulo, your city looks beautiful, actually both cities!

I just spent a few days in Tokyo in December with my family...I loved it. A great place, the people are amazing and very nice. ...would love to spend more time there...sad though at what they have to deal with for years to come in some areas

TRENDING THREADS