• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

City You Would Never Live In?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
While we're talkin' Texas, let's not forget Big Tuna, home of Bobby Peru:

2878929970_5730ae415f.jpg

Lol that's a great name for a town.

big-tuna.jpg

PS: Great song in the video

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont think Cuidad de Mexico is that bad. The big cities like Mexico, Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro (though thiose who have seen cuidade de deus may disagree) even with high crime rates are ok because even with the bad areas they have the business districts as well, and the tourism angle.

I would say that in that country Juarez, Tj and any city in Siniloa are worse. Of course in all these cases their danger is a recent development due to Mexican gangs realising their proximity to the US gives them more power with the narco thing than South Americans. 20 years ago Cali and Medellin would have been worse.

The worst city in the world is obviously Mogadishu. Though maybe Pyonyang.

But staying out of war zones or dictatorships i would say ,
Belfast (perhaps),
Volgograd
Kingston,
San Salvador
Gotham city

I also think so.

L'arriviste said:
Joensuu, Finland - Beautiful surrounding area but the city was kind of scary.

Joensuu_toria.jpg

Every city in Finland looks like that. Finland maybe the best country in the world but seriously the climate is very bad for 9 months of the year and if you don't like XC skiing there's nothing to see here. I'll get as far as I can from Finland as soon as I can.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Jakarta - Perpetual smog, perpetual gridlock, perpetual 90s humidity.

There are many fantastic things to see and do in Indonesia, but none of them involve being in the capital.

On a far lesser scale, the same is true of Suva, Fiji.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Pmcg - Sorry you didn't like Dublin (The big Smoke, The dirty auld town ;)), I'm from there and I know that it is an either love it or hate it kind of place. But I think you'll find that its the social life that you have in the cities that you mention you lived in either make or break the experience there. For myself I didn't really think that much of Sydney Australia, but then I didn't really know anyone there while I was there. Melbourne I always thought was a nicer city.

For me a place that I'd rather not live in is Winnipeg - as they say there is only two seasons there - Winter and Mosquito. Not much in the way of bike racing there either. The other place that I have no real love for is New York, been there a couple of times now and each time I'm more than happy to leave.

nfmcgrath said:
Pmcg - Sorry you didn't like Dublin (The big Smoke, The dirty auld town ;)), I'm from there and I know that it is an either love it or hate it kind of place. But I think you'll find that its the social life that you have in the cities that you mention you lived in either make or break the experience there. For myself I didn't really think that much of Sydney Australia, but then I didn't really know anyone there while I was there. Melbourne I always thought was a nicer city.

It wasnt just that, I didnt think there was anywhere particularly nice to just hang out in Dublin. For example, go to almost any major city in Belgium and there is usaully a nice Main square surrounded by nice buildings with restaurants and cafes and everyone just sitting around having a beer or a coffee or whatever, a lovely atmospehere. There is no such place in Dublin, the best time of year to be in Dublin is actually Christmas.

I have had friends who have come from overseas and they seem puzzled at my disdain for Dublin and are always saying its not that bad so I play a little game, choose the city. Its goes something like this:

Choose which city you prefer:

Paris or Dublin
Rome or Dublin
Prague or Dublin
Barcelona or Dublin
Lisbon or Dublin etc, etc

You get the picture, its easy to get to maybe twenty or thirty cities in Europe alone before we find a city they would choose Dublin over. The only positive thing about Dublin would seem to be the social life, so all the Irish getting ****ed of their face at the weekend and falling over, puking, fighting and the girls, dont even get me started. I deal with it every single weekend and its the same everywhere in Ireland.

I dont think I need to mention the price of everything in Dublin either.

I have actually grown more fond of Dublin through the years but the thought of living there still makes me cringe.

Sorry, its your hometown but its nothing personal against anyone from Dublin. I am from the Northwest, its incredibly beautiful up here yet I totally understand when people say, they hate living here or would hate to live here. My sister has lived in Dublin for almost 15 years and she would never leave but if it wasnt for the fact I have so many friends in Dublin, I would skip it most times. Sorry.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Not a problem - The best part of of Ireland (to me anyway) is the West coast. Our parents used to take us up to Donegal/Sligo/Mayo every year on our holidays for about 10 years. The scenery around places like GlenColmcille, the Glengesh pass in Donegal and BelMullet in Mayo are amazing. Never really did any cycling up there though.

Those Cities you compare Dublin too - I couldn't answer that one as I never really did any traveling around Europe.

TRENDING THREADS