• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Clément Champoussin - No Longer Just Part of Another's Man's Thread Title

Champou looks like he'll be more of a Nans - both emulating Blel Kadri and turning into riders who will pull off the occasional GT stage win, but that will be their high water mark. Great for depth in any squad, but headliners for GTs nor the biggest weeklong stage races.

Are y'all ready for the alphabet soup when I start the Romain Grégoire-thread? That boy can TT as well.

Champou looks like he'll be more of a Nans - both emulating Blel Kadri and turning into riders who will pull off the occasional GT stage win, but that will be their high water mark. Great for depth in any squad, but headliners for GTs nor the biggest weeklong stage races.

Are y'all ready for the alphabet soup when I start the Romain Grégoire-thread? That boy can TT as well.

Where does Blel Kadri feature on the Jorgenson-French Guys Chain? Before Latour?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

I'm making the Lenny Martinez thread then ;)

Given his results as a U23 rider I'm expecting Champoussin to get better results than both Nans and Kadri during his career.
Unlike those two, I think he might win some of the French one-day races for instance. But you're probabaly right, that he won't turn into a GT leader, but some week long races should suit him.

This year his climbing performances were very mediocre until the third week of the Vuelta. The stage to Lagos de Covadonga was likely his best ever performance on a long climb (actually on multiple long climbs). He collapsed the day after losing 14 minutes on Gamoniteiru but bounced back beautifully on Saturday. The stage he won was better suited to his current skillset but it also says his recovery is probably better than I expected, although he's obviously still inconsistent.

Going forward I expect him to target hilly one day races (he looked good in Faun Ardeche Classic and Laigueglia earlier this season) and some shorter stage races like Itzulia or Tirreno Adriatico, but I wouldn't rule out an improvement even in GTs. He finished 16th in this Vuelta, which isn't bad for a 23 years old rider.

This year his climbing performances were very mediocre until the third week of the Vuelta. The stage to Lagos de Covadonga was likely his best ever performance on a long climb (actually on multiple long climbs). He collapsed the day after losing 14 minutes on Gamoniteiru but bounced back beautifully on Saturday. The stage he won was better suited to his current skillset but it also says his recovery is probably better than I expected, although he's obviously still inconsistent.

Going forward I expect him to target hilly one day races (he looked good in Faun Ardeche Classic and Laigueglia earlier this season) and some shorter stage races like Itzulia or Tirreno Adriatico, but I wouldn't rule out an improvement even in GTs. He finished 16th in this Vuelta, which isn't bad for a 23 years old rider.
He looked like an absolute beast in Laigueglia on the climb. Matching Bernal who would podium strade bianche 3 days later.

He looked like an absolute beast in Laigueglia on the climb. Matching Bernal who would podium strade bianche 3 days later.
I meant long climbs.
He's been very good on hills and shorter climbs (max 5-6 km) for most of the season but anything longer than that he would generally struggle (Vallter 2000, Port Ainé, Thyon 2000, Mont Ventoux, Le Mourtis, Picon Blanco, Velefique). Of course in some cases he was probably not in shape or building up for different targets but there are too many examples to be dismissed.

Where does Blel Kadri feature on the Jorgenson-French Guys Chain? Before Latour?

Void - didn't come through the Chambery (now renamed AG2R U23)-team unlike the aforementioned. Whilst Blel came through at Albi, Chambery in 2008 had Julien Berard, Guillaume Bonnafond and Thomas Damuseau as their biggest hitter plus Kneisky more known from the track and Houanard of infamy.

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS