• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastián 1/8 -- 219km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just horrible, what of a waste of time for me trying to watch this travesty. Do you think San Sebastian should lose its World Tour status because of this? Give it back to much better covered races, such as Paris-Tours!

Re:

TommyGun said:
Just horrible, what of a waste of time for me trying to watch this travesty. Do you think San Sebastian should lose its World Tour status because of this? Give it back to much better covered races, such as Paris-Tours!

The route for San Sebastian is fantastic, and has the ideal parcours for some great racing, and attracts quite a few top names despite being ill-timed, while those who did the Tour recover.

Those who were responsible for the coverage are the ones who should be sacked along with the guy who wiped out GVA, not the race from WT

GVA would have won, much in the way Philippe Gilbert won these kind of races in the past. A bit fresher, a bit punchier than the others. Nieve is not that kind of rider at all, so you can't compare the attacks.

Wasn't there a problem with the helicopter? If so they really can't do that much about it....

What happened to van Avermaet should really be a wake up call for all organisers. There really need to be less motorbikes because this is ridiculous.
Feel sad for van Avermaet. If he was going to win is ofcourse uncertain, but that doesn't matter.

Re: Re:

roundabout said:
Jagartrott said:
'Most probably'? GVA had 13 seconds advantage, 500 m before the top. The Tour and other races proved he can go into the red very very long. And f*** off with your patronising smiley.

More like 5 meters than 13 seconds

http://www.eitb.eus/es/get/multimedia/embed/id/3392372/tipo/video/

https://twitter.com/dklasikoa

The official organisation thread on twitter mentions 10 seconds for Gva and the next post is about Adam Yates. Enough evidence to convince you?

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Re:

johnymax said:
"It was a steep climb and the moto driver was too close to me," Van Avermaet said. "He ran right into the back of my bike. My frame was broken and my back wheel was broken. So the race was over for me. I don't know what the moto driver was thinking. He did not say anything to me. Maybe he just gave it a little too much gas and ran into me."

"The bad thing is that I think I could have won the race," Van Avermaet said. "I had a big gap. Maybe Yates could have come back, but I think I still could have been there in the sprint. It is not every year you can win a classic like San Sebastian. So this is really disappointing.”

That's very restrained of the lad under the circumstances - I feel for him (although still chuffed for young Yates!)

I have ridden big sports tourers for years.

The motorbike rider seems to be struggling with a combination of the weight of the bike (including pillion), height of seat, gradient of road, clutch and throttle control and balance. He is swaying all over the road.

He may not be used to that particular bike. He may be out of his depth in terms of ability. He is clearly struggling whatever the reason.

Ridiculous accident.

The Stolen Clasica San Sebastian.

Re:

De Snelle Duif said:
Orica and Simon yates being really kind towards BMC... At least admit that Greg not being run over would have changed the race.

BMC are running around saying they had more or less definitely won when Greg was 2 seconds ahead and about to be caught by someone going much quicker than him up the climb.

Not unreasonable to consider that pretty rude towards the rider that actually won and did not cause BMC's misfortune.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:
Orica and Simon yates being really kind towards BMC... At least admit that Greg not being run over would have changed the race.

BMC are running around saying they had more or less definitely won when Greg was 2 seconds ahead and about to be caught by someone going much quicker than him up the climb.

Not unreasonable to consider that pretty rude towards the rider that actually won and did not cause BMC's misfortune.

Even if he would have been caught, that would have been towards the end of the climb, so we can assume that Greg would have been at least one of the first at the top. Watching the video it certainly looks more than 2 seconds, I'd say 5, and there is no reason to believe Yates is going faster than him. They could have just admitted that the incident changed the race, doesn't mean they have to admit that Greg would have won. What Nygaard said is more rude than what BMC says...

GVA was ahead. There wasn't much of the climb to go. Even if Yates had caught him (by no means clear) and then dropped him (by no means clear), he'd then have to keep a tiny gap over him for seven km of descent and flat (very unlikely) or beat him in a sprint (extremely unlikely). GVA did not have the race in the bag when he was hit, but he was at that moment the race favourite and is entitled to say as much. Yates only wins if GVA is caught and dropped by him and then caught by the chasers and then makes no difference to the competence of the chase. All of which is possible of course.

Yates has handled the situation with some maturity, being generous about it and not getting into a slanging match. It is of course easier to be generous when you are the guy with the trophy rather than the guy with a broken bike. He's perfectly entitled to point out that the race wasn't over.

De Snelle Duif said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:

Even if he would have been caught, that would have been towards the end of the climb, so we can assume that Greg would have been at least one of the first at the top. Watching the video it certainly looks more than 2 seconds, I'd say 5, and there is no reason to believe Yates is going faster than him. They could have just admitted that the incident changed the race, doesn't mean they have to admit that Greg would have won. What Nygaard said is more rude than what BMC says...

You haven't watched the video very carefully then.

It is 7 seconds long, he gets hit after 5 seconds are gone and yates is visible in the video. 2 seconds is arguably generous.

Given the size of gap Yates had at the top (i.e. 3 or 4 seconds) I'd say it's unlikely Greg would have got to the top with a lead on the main chase group.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:

You haven't watched the video very carefully then.

It is 7 seconds long, he gets hit after 5 seconds are gone and yates is visible in the video. 2 seconds is arguably generous.

Given the size of gap Yates had at the top (i.e. 3 or 4 seconds) I'd say it's unlikely Greg would have got to the top with a lead on the main chase group.
We'll never know. WTF! Even the '80 LBL was covered better than that. We're in Freakin' 2015. :eek:

The reason that the motorbike was trying to pass GVA in the first place is because Adam Yates was coming up from behind very quickly. You can see in the video that Yates is at most a couple of seconds behind GVA at the time of the crash. Logically you don't make an attack on a climb like that, that is strong enough to drop the likes of Valverde and Purito, without catching and dropping an inferior rider (GVA) before the top of the climb.

In any case, the idea that BMC and GVA were denied a certain victory is complete BS.

De Snelle Duif said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:

Of course there is reason to assume that! The reason the motorbikes were trying to get past GVA was because Adam Yates was closing the gap on him very quickly!

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

JRanton said:
De Snelle Duif said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:
Of course there is reason to assume that! The reason the motorbikes were trying to get past GVA was because Adam Yates was closing the gap on him very quickly!

That motorbike was not trying to pass him, he was just driving badly. Even if he was faster we don't even know how far from the top they both were. Hell, we don't even know for sure if that's Yates behind Greg. It's not a stolen victory but let's just assume Greg staying upright would have changed a lot, as he's not one to give up fighting easily.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Re:

JRanton said:
The reason that the motorbike was trying to pass GVA in the first place is because Adam Yates was coming up from behind very quickly. You can see in the video that Yates is at most a couple of seconds behind GVA at the time of the crash. Logically you don't make an attack on a climb like that, that is strong enough to drop the likes of Valverde and Purito, without catching and dropping an inferior rider (GVA) before the top of the climb.

In any case, the idea that BMC and GVA were denied a certain victory is complete BS.

Also, calling Greg an inferior rider seems a bit harsh.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
De Snelle Duif said:

Exactly, saying the race was won where you can clearly see Yates was just a few meters behind and closing fast was just silly. However Like Simon said it was very unfortunate and should never have happened. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts