• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica San Sebastian

Probably more likely because they didn't want to compete with the Olympics, more for coverage than for riders I presume since it suits completely different types of rider, but the Vuelta starts that Saturday, in Pamplona which isn't all that far from Donostia, so they can get a better startlist than being on some random day between the Tour and Vuelta

Libertine Seguros said:
Probably more likely because they didn't want to compete with the Olympics, more for coverage than for riders I presume since it suits completely different types of rider, but the Vuelta starts that Saturday, in Pamplona which isn't all that far from Donostia, so they can get a better startlist than being on some random day between the Tour and Vuelta
Normally it would have been this Saturday, but it was indeed moved to avoid the Olympics. Still, I don't know why it couldn't be held on August 11th, the first day of the Semana Grande/Aste Nagusia, Eneco Tour be damned.

edit: besides, with only one day between Eneco and San Sebastián, I'm not sure how well those coming from the Benelux will be able to do. But August 15th, being a national holiday, might not have been suitable for some reason that escapes me but that might have to do with local police having a day off or whatever.

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Paris-Nice / Tirreno Adriatico
E3 Harelbeke & Gent-Wevelgem /Volta a Catalunya
Dauphiné / Tour de Suisse
Tour de France/ Tour de Pologne
Vattenfalls and Ouest France and both Canadian Races / Vuelta a Espana

So that's not why...
I knew that...I was being 110% sarcastic.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Normally it would have been this Saturday, but it was indeed moved to avoid the Olympics. Still, I don't know why it couldn't be held on August 11th, the first day of the Semana Grande/Aste Nagusia, Eneco Tour be damned.

edit: besides, with only one day between Eneco and San Sebastián, I'm not sure how well those coming from the Benelux will be able to do. But August 15th, being a national holiday, might not have been suitable for some reason that escapes me but that might have to do with local police having a day off or whatever.

Last year Phil won and the year before Vino was second(wasn't at Eneco, but was in Belgium for a crit race the day before).
It's definitely a reason why they didn't do it on a Sunday or Saterday. And the national holiday will probably also have played a factor in deciding its date.

Ps: T-A is in trouble because it takes place at the same time as P-N and E3 Harelbeke and G-W aren't rivals of Catalunya anyway. Tour de Pologne only takes place during the Tour this year to not interfere with the Olympics. There are always a lot of cyclists who don't enter the Vuelta, so they need other races to prepare themselves. But no one gives a damn about them anyway. I'm fully aware that there are WT races that take place at the same time. Keep in mind that not every race organizer is a fool.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Vino doing Sebastian

Heh, so far for Olympics ITT being his final race. Nothing against Vino, but what's it with riders saying "Will end my carreer this year" and finally going for like 4 more years (Moncoutié, Voigt, etc) ? Anyhow, would be nice to see him winning San Sebastian :cool:

TRENDING THREADS