• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clean talents pop up

The Giro's third spot Thomas De Gendt claimed his success to the war on doping that started to bring results

Now fellow Belgian Jelle Vanendert, winning at Plateau the Beille in last year's Tour, dropped the following in a recent Sporza interview:

"I believe a became a pro at the right time, when the peloton was already reasonably clean."

Vanendert became a pro in 2007, as a 22 year old. His most remarkable result that year was a 13th place in the Flèche Wallon. Oh wait, top 5 was:
1. Rebellin
2. Valverde
3. Di Luca
4. Kessler
5. Riccò

How is this reasonably clean? I like young riders say their talent pops up because doping fighters are getting the upper hand. It's more affirmative than anything we heard in the past 10 years (maybe next to Cunego's 'two speeds' in the peloton). But however much I'd like to believe Vanendert, what he says is simply untrue.

Any other take on the matter? Other talents 'popping up'? (and why is there no Fothen)

Vanendert was/is a client of Luc Van den Broeck the guy who was selling some kind of magic supplement to cyclists but was also investigated for distributing doping products (the Bart Wellens case). And earlier in 2006 in connection with Dr Dave Bruylandts.

FWIW :)

Boeing said:
Dont forget to add Cadel Evans to that train

False. Maybe in recent years (or: this year), but in the past Evans performed well at the Tirreno-Adriatico, did the Ardennes classics, the pretour races with some success, the Tour itself, the Vuelta and post Vuelta classics or the world championship. That is an above normal load for an everyday stage rider. Did he break through as the doped head of the results table was cut off? I don't know, but he certainly isn't making those kind of claims as De Gendt, Vanendert and indeed Hesjedal.

will10 said:
Not to mention Vanendert follows the Andy Schleck school of peaking for one week, twice a year.

Boeing said:
Dont forget to add Cadel Evans to that train

2011: T-A and whole of Tour

2010: Ardennes to third week of Giro, first week of Tour

2009: Dauphine to third week of Tour, second week of Vuelta to Lombardy ( :eek: )

And then there's all the top10 overalls he has from when he hasn't been at peak.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
2011: T-A and whole of Tour

2010: Ardennes to third week of Giro, first week of Tour

2009: Dauphine to third week of Tour, second week of Vuelta to Lombardy ( :eek: )

And then there's all the top10 overalls he has from when he hasn't been at peak.

he is a nice guy too.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Speaks English...

speaks english???!!!???!!!

i thought he was from australia. you cannot call that english can you?

as they say, "england invented english, but america perfected it."

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
gregod said:
speaks english???!!!???!!!

i thought he was from australia. you cannot call that english can you?

as they say, "england invented english, but america perfected it."

ahahah whoever said that quote must have been ***. Anyone who speaks the English language (including Aus, USA, Canada act...) speaks English. Also America made it worse with their stupid slang...

TRENDING THREADS