Cleanest Rider/Team Of The 90s- Early/Mid 00s

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
+

Don't be late Pedro said:
I think there is a reasonable argument to think Chris Boardman might have ridden clean.
+ nicole cooke 'n graeme obree............but again the sad part is who

knows for sure

alas i don't think that there were any wholly clean teams

Mark L
 
Race Radio said:
Unfortunately....No
Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate on that one. Moncoutié is not a rider you can simply say isn't clean with two words without further explanation, as there's a wide consensus about him, based on the data currently available to us. This is a bit like challenging a established scientific theory: it can be done, it should be done, but it needs proper backing.

If anyone but you had said that, it would have been simply dismissed. You have credibility, but we need more than that to discard our point of reference for clean cycling.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
del1962 said:
I have herad that Boardmans teammates say that they never saw him doping, bit like Bassons.

There is something beleivable about Boardman, failing as soon as the tour hit the mountains.
That could also be because he was just not very good at climbing?

But lets add the next:
Fabrice Philipot
Luis Alberto Camargo
 
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
That could also be because he was just not very good at climbing?
He wasn't bad at all. He was 2nd at a Dauphiné, 3rd at a Paris-Nice (and that's even before the hematocrit cap), 2nd at a Tour de Romandie (the courses back then were generally tougher). In 1995 his stated goal was to make it to the top-10 of the Tour de France GC, which sounds a bit overambitious if he was clean and he knew anything about European cycling at the time.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
He just should've taken a look at Indurain and realized what was going on. Big riders like that shouldn't be able to climb that well. Indurain in a peloton without EPO would've never won a single Tour.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
hrotha said:
He wasn't bad at all. He was 2nd at a Dauphiné, 3rd at a Paris-Nice (and that's even before the hematocrit cap), 2nd at a Tour de Romandie (the courses back then were generally tougher). In 1995 his stated goal was to make it to the top-10 of the Tour de France GC, which sounds a bit overambitious if he was clean and he knew anything about European cycling at the time.
From Rough Ride. Interview with Nicolas Aubier :
I don't think it's possible to make the top 100 on the ranking list without taking EPO, growth hormone or some of the other stuff... well, no, that's not true, Chris Boardman is there. During my first two years, I roomed with him a lot and never saw him take an injection. I still don't know how he managed to be competitive. He had his own doctor in Liverpool and just stuck to what he knew - which is probably one of the reasons he has never been able to attain his ambitions in the Tour de France."
I believe Aubier quit in his mid 20's (?) citing that it was pretty much impossible to compete unless you took drugs.
 
Don't be late Pedro said:
From Rough Ride. Interview with Nicolas Aubier :

I believe Aubier quit in his mid 20's (?) citing that it was pretty much impossible to compete unless you took drugs.
I know about that quote, and it looks good on Boardman, but it's not gospel either. And I was mainly disputing your claim that he couldn't climb.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
hrotha said:
I know about that quote, and it looks good on Boardman, but it's not gospel either. And I was mainly disputing your claim that he couldn't climb.
Nothing is gospel. You find the evidence and make what is hopefully an informed opinion.

It was FGL that implied that Boardman may not have been able to climb. I said he was ok in week races (well, better than ok) and fell apart in GTs.
 
Aug 1, 2012
180
0
0
Most Successful Clean Rider

Graeme Obree

I'm surprised it took 26 posts to get him on the book. I believe it's pretty safe to say he was clean; there's not a single rumor about him and PEDs.

If there were any other completely clean riders, I'm pretty confident no one was more successful.

Two World Records, Two World Championships.
 
Heckler said:
Graeme Obree

I'm surprised it took 26 posts to get him on the book. I believe it's pretty safe to say he was clean; there's not a single rumor about him and PEDs.

If there were any other completely clean riders, I'm pretty confident no one was more successful.

Two World Records, Two World Championships.
He was only barely a professional though.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
Heckler said:
Graeme Obree

I'm surprised it took 26 posts to get him on the book. I believe it's pretty safe to say he was clean; there's not a single rumor about him and PEDs.

If there were any other completely clean riders, I'm pretty confident no one was more successful.

Two World Records, Two World Championships.
Probably because the focus is more on road cyclists. And Obree's road career was pretty short due to him refusing the take drugs.
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
hrotha said:
He wasn't bad at all. He was 2nd at a Dauphiné, 3rd at a Paris-Nice (and that's even before the hematocrit cap), 2nd at a Tour de Romandie (the courses back then were generally tougher). In 1995 his stated goal was to make it to the top-10 of the Tour de France GC, which sounds a bit overambitious if he was clean and he knew anything about European cycling at the time.
http://blip.tv/cycling90s/boardman-climbs-la-croix-de-fer-5268163

From twelve minutes onwards. That is quite an elite group. Surrounded by EPO - men. The year before he was in the grupetto. Make of it what you want, there are a few possible explanations.

Paris - Nice 1996? Did you take a look at the profile?
http://www.sportuitslagen.org/wielrennen-parijs-nice-1996-uitslagen-heren-s2-c0-b0-g28-t96-u22-v1.html#155469
You just have found the prove Armstrond was an okay climber ;)

Romandie? Sprint stages and medium mountains.
 
Nov 17, 2009
56
0
0
Jaan Kirsipuu, who knows, but his compatriot Janek Tombak was a guy a few other riders singled out as being clean.

In a thread here a couple of years back Darryl Webster said he heard (from a little birdie) that Boardman microdosed. Don't believe it myself. He dropped a lot of weight to get up the hills but overdid it over the winter and screwed up a season because of it (no magic weight loss story there, just a cautionary tale of how not to do it).
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
my username is flish said:
Jaan Kirsipuu, who knows, but his compatriot Janek Tombak was a guy a few other riders singled out as being clean.

In a thread here a couple of years back Darryl Webster said he heard (from a little birdie) that Boardman microdosed. Don't believe it myself. He dropped a lot of weight to get up the hills but overdid it over the winter and screwed up a season because of it (no magic weight loss story there, just a cautionary tale of how not to do it).
tombak was caught up in a lowlands doping investigation with Mitsibushi Jartazi. I was really disappointed because i believed his estonian older brother. (not brother, but jan kirsipuu)


it was as george w bush mangled, fool me once...

tombak was good. if he was australian, british, or american, he would have had a fine career.
 
Mar 17, 2009
90
0
0
As Lance's progress that Paris Nice was down to edgar...how did the doping regimen get perfected further? My guess is some natural progression + move to BBs and edgar together.Would like to hear an honest account from LA on this as Ferrari was training him by 96
 
Mar 17, 2009
90
0
0
The way Cadel Evans fell apart when leading Giro 2002 make me think no BBs or poe. 8th in 2005 TDF but well down. If Julich could top 20 in 2001 TDF clean, why not Cadel 8th?
 
Apr 20, 2012
6,321
0
0
Dave_1 said:
As Lance's progress that Paris Nice was down to edgar...how did the doping regimen get perfected further? My guess is some natural progression + move to BBs and edgar together.Would like to hear an honest account from LA on this as Ferrari was training him by 96
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32068763/Paging-Doctor-Ferrari-by-Bill-Gifford

Nice read.
In fact, Ferrari's help was both more significant and more extended than early reports had shown.In June 2004 Sunday Times writer David Walsh and French journalist Pierre Ballester publishedLA Confidentiel, a book that attempts to list every bad thing Armstrong has allegedly ever done.(Armstrong is suing Walsh, Ballester and nine other related parties for libel, and the French-language book has never been published in English.)The book doesn't spell out exactly what Ferrari is supposed to have done for Armstrong. Butfrom Italian investigators, who had access to hotel records, Walsh learned that Armstrong hadvisited Ferrara on numerous occasions, which he listed:
"two days in March 1999, three days

in May 2000, two days in August 2000, one day in September 2000 and three days in late

April/early May of this year [2001]."
Those visits came at key points, for Tour preparation and just before the 2000 Olympics, where Armstrong wanted a medal.

Their relationship began as long ago as 1995,
when Eddy Merckx had called Ferrari, asking

him to take on a new client, a young American who'd won a Tour stage as well as the San

Sebastian Classic that year.
Ferrari wasn't interested, he says, but Merckx persisted, and in

November of 1995 Lance Armstrong came to Ferrara for the Test.
 
blackcat said:
tombak was caught up in a lowlands doping investigation with Mitsibushi Jartazi. I was really disappointed because i believed his estonian older brother. (not brother, but jan kirsipuu)
What kind of investigation you are talking about? Only thing what I do remember about Mitsubishi was that they signed Vandenbroucke and fired couple of months later.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY