• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cleaning White Saddles

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have a magic recipe for cleaning white saddles? I never had any problem keeping older saddles on the whole fairly white-looking (I suspect that my old Regals were real leather or a heartier kind of Lorica or whatever is used) but the newer San Marcos use "Microtex" and tend to end up a funky greyish. Granted, this may actually be the break down of the dye from sweat, friction and (very likely) chamois cream. I recall a photo of one of Savoldelli's Regals and it had the same blue/grey sh*tty look so at least I'm in good company... Any suggestions on cleaning/protecting of said saddles would be appreciated. Thanks.

Serbski said:
Anyone have a magic recipe for cleaning white saddles? I never had any problem keeping older saddles on the whole fairly white-looking (I suspect that my old Regals were real leather or a heartier kind of Lorica or whatever is used) but the newer San Marcos use "Microtex" and tend to end up a funky greyish. Granted, this may actually be the break down of the dye from sweat, friction and (very likely) chamois cream. I recall a photo of one of Savoldelli's Regals and it had the same blue/grey sh*tty look so at least I'm in good company... Any suggestions on cleaning/protecting of said saddles would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been using baby wipes on my Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow, and they have worked great so far. Anything made for a baby's behind should be mild enough for whatever the saddle is made out of.

I know a guy who uses those shower wipes (the wipes you use instead of taking a shower), I forget the manufacturer and the actual product name, but he works at a bike shop and can get them for free/discounted. These should also be mild enough for the saddle material

Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Soap and water.

The only issue can be if you accidentally got some muck or grease on it some how. Then you'll need some kind of leather or saddle soap. Don't ever scuff it up or you'll just remove the white color and leave the leather. Also double check the shorts you were wearing when the spot arrived as it can still have some gunk left on it to repeat the offense.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
One trick that works very well for white shoes might also work well for a white saddle

mix up some lukewarm water with laundry detergent in a vessel large enough to contain the shoess/ saddle

immerse the item in the bucket and leave overnight

rinse/rub

dry

great success

(shown this by a 6day racer... removes everything with no scrubbing)

TRENDING THREADS