• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clenbuterol

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
"...Clenbuterol, similar to the asthma drug salbutamol, is used to treat breathing disorders as a decongestant and bronchodilator. It causes an increase in aerobic capacity, blood pressure and oxygen transportation, and speeds the rate at which fats are burned..."

Cas wants Alberto Contador verdict before Tour de France
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cycling/13208541.stm

I think this is the first place I've seen Clenbuterol described as "treat(ing) breathing disorders, as a decongestant and bronchodilator". Usually it's been described as "speed(ing) the rate at which fats are burned". Anyone know about the accuracy of that (first) description?

Yeah, it's a well-known effect of clenbuterol, but apparently it's not particularly effective at that, compared to the normal asthma medication which Contador, with his allergies and all, can probably use. In other words, in theory no one would take clen primarily for its bronchodilator effects.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
We had a few threads on Clen that time. They're probably now on page 30 or something so I don't blame you. But if you're interested, try the search function. There was a decent discussion in at least one of the threads.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
cleverhans said:
"...Clenbuterol, similar to the asthma drug salbutamol, is used to treat breathing disorders as a decongestant and bronchodilator. It causes an increase in aerobic capacity, blood pressure and oxygen transportation, and speeds the rate at which fats are burned..."

I think this is the first place I've seen Clenbuterol described as "treat(ing) breathing disorders, as a decongestant and bronchodilator". Usually it's been described as "speed(ing) the rate at which fats are burned". Anyone know about the accuracy of that (first) description?

Clen has always been asthma medication. Contadors lawyers and so called scientific experts claiming it to be the worst PED is just propaganda to get Contador acquitted.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
anyone know what happens to it ounce you have BBQ'd it dose it get less or more.

My gues is it will dissapear if the Barbie is hot enough 500 deg C.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
cleverhans said:

The important thing to know is Contador has a TUE for asthma. So you know the guy's a doper. I mean, how can a guy who can ride a bike like that claim with a straight face to a doctor to have a CHRONIC breathing problem that requires medication?

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The important thing to know is Contador has a TUE for asthma. So you know the guy's a doper. I mean, how can a guy who can ride a bike like that claim with a straight face to a doctor to have a CHRONIC breathing problem that requires medication?

I guess its a spanish thing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
"It worked, but I was up for two nights and did not use it again": a Tour de France champion, quoted to Dr Michael Ashenden, professional doping science researcher.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Exercise-induced asthma isn't a chronic condition. And a few years back it was reported that 60% of all TdF entrants had a TUE for something or other.

yeah, and those dodgy antipodes, not the kiwis, but the ozzies, but god, allah, jarweh knows, the kiwis are just as dodgy as the ozzies, in 2000 at Sydney Olys, about 80% of athletes had this "condition". All the AIS athletes, like a precondition, they gotta suffer breathing difficulties. Not motor city Detroit, but Canberra AIS wherever that iz