• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN forums demographics: Are you an expat?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Born in UK (well, Yorkshire) to German mother and Scottish/Icelandic father. Lived in Germany from age 18 months to 6. Akureyri, Iceland from age 6 - 14 and then back to the UK. Now living in Baden Württemberg. UK and Icelandic passports. guess that makes me an expat, but I'm not sure where from.

Trying to figure out a way to get back to Iceland and start the Tour of Iceland. Hell, cycling needs more volcanoes!

rides like a girl said:
Yes LA is a huge, sprawling city. The borders of the city are weird. I have lived in some areas where one side of the street is in the city limits and one side is not in the city. It feels like there is a city within the city. I lived on the non-LA part of the street. I was in what they call an unicoporated area of Los Angeles.

I have also lived in other areas with neighborhood councils that act like it is a separate city, they are a part of the city of LA, but feels and acts like they are not. Areas such as Eagle Rock and Venice.

That is why I used that expression. Probably not the right expression, but I never said I lived in LA when I lived in Venice. I lived in Venice.

fair enough.

Venice is where I learnt a bit about US law enforcement.
Long story short, I watched two cops politely ask a drunk to put his bottle in the bin a couple of times. He kept saying he'd do it when finished. They took exception, batons out, picked him up and pinned him to the wall with a not-so-polite barrage of instructions yelled point blank in his face. They then put him down, one took the bottle and binned it, the other straighted the guy's jacket before very politely saying "Thank you. Have a nice day." They then walked on as if nothing had happened. Brilliant!

rides like a girl said:
LOVED it! LOVED it LOVED it! Pace of life, food, wine, history, people were all fantastic!! I miss it greatly!

Lived about an hour or so north of Lisbon in a small town. I went there as an exchange student. I didn't want to leave! After that year, I went back seemingly every other year when I could get the money and time off work and hung out in that town and Lisbon. Sadly have not been back since 2000. Started to travel to other parts of the world, Australia, Mexico, Spain and last year France for the tour.

Early in my previous career, had thought of trying to get a job there so i could go back and stay, but got distracted in the states with a boy and life. Now that the boy is gone, I am hoping to get the time and funds aligned and go to Europe again next year and see a few stages of Le Tour in the Pyrenees, see family in Spain and return to Portugal. Got to stop using my vacation days to watch the Tour, so I have enough vacation days to travel!

My Portuguese flag is flying in front of my house today for Rui!

What part do you live in?

glad to see that you loved portugal ^_^

i am from the north of portugal from a town called monção mostly known for its white wine :p
but currently i live mostly in oporto because thats where my college is.

craig1985 said:
It's one of my regrets when I went traveling in Europe 4 years that I never went to Portugal, but I only had 2 and a half months, so I guess you can't go everywhere. And besides traveling in Western Europe and the euro sent me broke, literally, I had to ring home and borrow some money :eek:

the best way to visit portugal on a trip around europe would prolly be having portugal as the start or the end of the trip. i guess the best trip around portugal would be a few days in a oporto then going south and checking aveiro and coimbra and if you are religious Fátima even tho i think going a bit to the center of the country and climbing up to the serra da estrela from the seia side would be a much better experience :p

after that spending another few days visiting lisbon and if you like the beach maybe a couple days in algarve to end with some sun.

my favourite place in prolly the entire country is the river zone of oporto during night time(and day time)

IMG_2132_lzn.jpg

thats the view from the porto side of the river

8445736.jpg

thats from the other side. the bridge obviously is to the right and those bars is usually where i go out at night.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
fair enough.

Venice is where I learnt a bit about US law enforcement.
Long story short, I watched two cops politely ask a drunk to put his bottle in the bin a couple of times. He kept saying he'd do it when finished. They took exception, batons out, picked him up and pinned him to the wall with a not-so-polite barrage of instructions yelled point blank in his face. They then put him down, one took the bottle and binned it, the other straighted the guy's jacket before very politely saying "Thank you. Have a nice day." They then walked on as if nothing had happened. Brilliant!

It's probably fair to say it would not go down too well here in Australia if that happened.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Born and raised and still live in one of the most beautiful (and cycling friendly) cities in the US. Portland, OR.

Oje, so who you cheer for? I know you don´t like basketball (rightfully). But you only got the Trailblazers (Drexlers time was the good time; long gone).

So you cheer for the Seahawks?? If so. Sorry man ;)

I am born in East Germany, shifted to West Germany long before the wall came down. Now (for 25 years) i live in the most ugly overrated city of the world: Berlin (even worse than Nairobi).

May 6, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
the drunk guy part or the cop part?

The cop part.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Oje, so who you cheer for? I know you don´t like basketball (rightfully). But you only got the Trailblazers (Drexlers time was the good time; long gone).

So you cheer for the Seahawks?? If so. Sorry man ;)

I am born in East Germany, shifted to West Germany long before the wall came down. Now (for 25 years) i live in the most ugly overrated city of the world: Berlin (even worse than Nairobi)

I've stayed in Frankfurt, even though I was only there for 36 hours, I've never been so bored in my life.

I have banned myself from posting during July but I think the cafe might be allowed.

Born in Ireland and spent the first 19 years of my life there before moving to the UK for college. Then spent 18 months in Maine, US before returning home after 6 years away. Tried to live in Dublin, hated it and found it difficult to readjust to live in Ireland so went to Australia for a year, returned home again and then decided to move to Belgium for a year living in the Wallon part.
I have now been back in Ireland 3 years but very likely to move again. Have also spent time in Spain, 6 weeks in Granada/Andalucia and 3 weeks in Barcelona.

Probably obvious that I love travelling and I am currently trying to decide what will be my 50th country to visit later this year. Suggestions welcome and most of Western/Cental Europe is out.

craig1985 said:
I am, born in New Zealand (which I still remain a citizen) but I have lived in Australia since I was 13, so half my life has been in both countries. This has been created after thehog called me an ignorant Aussie which I'm clearly not.

I'm unsure to make a poll as I don't know whether to make it "private" or "public" as I respect other people's right to privacy/being anonymous.

He is only right about 10% of the time so there is a good chance you are not an ignorant Aussie.

craig1985 said:
The cop part.

I've stayed in Frankfurt, even though I was only there for 36 hours, I've never been so bored in my life.

so the Aussie cops would be less aggressive? american cops tend to be pretty agro. those guys do major steroids to get big and mean. there are rules. but sometimes they seem to be more like suggestions. Texas is one big cop show.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
The cop part.

Frankfurt/Oder (East) or Frankfurt/Main (West) ? It must have been east since west got some adventures, if you know what i mean ;)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
so the Aussie cops would be less aggressive? american cops tend to be pretty agro. those guys do major steroids to get big and mean. there are rules. but sometimes they seem to be more like suggestions. Texas is one big cop show.

A complaint would get made to the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC), and there recently was an inquiry into police corruption because they got a Big Mac discounted every time they went into McDonald's (and taking cheap drinks when off duty at nightclubs).

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Frankfurt/Oder (East) or Frankfurt/Main (West) ? It must have been east since west got some adventures, if you know what i mean ;)

The latter, but it was only to catch a train. My hostel was across the road from the main bus/train station. Mind you I wasn't that far from all the seedy bars and building that said 'eros' on the front, not that I went in, I didn't have any money to spend to begin with, and it's just one big money drain anyway.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
usedtobefast said:

New Jersey cracks down on police steroid abuse
New Jersey on Thursday unveiled reforms to crack down on steroid abuse by police, including random drug testing.

The new rules follow lawsuits claiming excessive force by officers in the throes of steroid rage filed against New Jersey police, according to a report released by New Jersey Attorney General Paula Dow.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
The latter, but it was only to catch a train. My hostel was across the road from the main bus/train station. Mind you I wasn't that far from all the seedy bars and building that said 'eros' on the front, not that I went in, I didn't have any money to spend to begin with, and it's just one big money drain anyway.

I see you was in the right Frankfurt. ;)

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Barracuda said:
So Texas isnt in the same country as Louisiana ??? Ok .... gotta revisit my altas !!

:eek:

Australian (South Australian) born and bred.......
Hey Barracuda,
Texas and Louisiana are both in the same country, but New Orleans is so unique that if you move to another state, it seems like you are in another country.
Anyway, born and raised in New York City and Connecticut, went to college in North Carolina, lived a short spell in Washington, DC area, and now reside in Atlanta, Georgia.
NYC is my native origin, so living anywhere else in the USA is like being an expat to me.

Craig 1985,
I am so glad to see you remembrance of both Wouter and Xavier. Remember Juan Soler who is fighting to get his life back.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Born in...

Born in Massachusetts, lived mostly in Vermont on the Canada border, then off to the military which brought me to such exotic places such as Korea, Afghanistan, Texas, Washington, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, and other places I can't name...
I guess if I had to pick a "home" I'd have to pick Washington State just because I really enjoyed my years out there. Awesome cycling and outdoor recreation. Yes, it does rain alot there in the winter, but I'd rather it rain lightly for 8 months instead of this blazing heat in Georgia anyday!:D