• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CNF Award: Best climber of 2013

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best climber of 2013

• Valverde

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Froome
from Oman to TdF he was fantastic
6 top victories at the summits including epic Mont Ventoux

Quintana
this year he's just second

The Hitch said:
So basically if we neutralize the stages Quintana got beaten by froome on because Quintana attacked from further out (on ventoux merely lower on the climb), but then totally ignore the fact that on the 2 stages Quintana beat froome on froome was sooo far ahead on gc he did not need to do anything but get to the finish line, we reach the conclusion that the flawed line of reasoning was designed to reach.
Ventoux was not by much. It was only Ax-3 domaines. He was basically riding for Valverde. After these two it was all Quintana in the Mountains.

Had he mantained the same tactic as he did the last week I can make the argument that Quintana would have at least be to par with Froome in the initial weeks.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It's obviously Froome, from the start of the season he was the best climber it was only at the Tour Quintana was close. Froome way better early and Quintana marginally better late. Next year may be different, but that's next year.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It should be Froome because he climbed faster when it really counted, but he looks like a twisted lump of frantically pedalling angle iron. Quintana gets my vote, he is the most gifted and stylish natural climber we have seen for many years. He reminds me of past super climbers Bahamontes, Jimenez, Van Impe and Arroyo.

rainman said:
It should be Froome because he climbed faster when it really counted, but he looks like a twisted lump of frantically pedalling angle iron. Quintana gets my vote, he is the most gifted and stylish natural climber we have seen for many years. He reminds me of past super climbers Bahamontes, Jimenez, Van Impe and Arroyo.

David Arroyo ??? Hardly a super climber but more like a super descender. A, i missing something here?:confused:

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would like to do a few remarks.

1. Quintana did not ride for Valverde at the TdF whatsoever. Yeah, there was a bit of tactical maneuver in his early attack on Ax 3 stage, but it didn't help Valverde at all. I consider his both attacks (Ax 3 and Ventoux) a semibluff when the rider realized that he couldn't win the stage against Froome mano-to-mano while nonetheless anyway it was possible if there wouldn't be a massacre amongst big guns and thу break would take the stage.

2. We didn't see fresh motivated Froome against fresh motivated Quintana so far. Colombian gained his seconds after the Tour had become a cruise trip for Froomie.

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I fear 1 thing a lot. The 2013 Tour and the difference between Froome on one side and Nibali and Quintana from the other one. Will we be able to handle that in a stoic way...

By the way Froome's worse aerodynamics gives Quintana some extra edge. If Froome improved his position on blike without losing power, there would've been only the race for 2nd place.

Status
Not open for further replies.