• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cockpit video of foggy landing

TheSpud said:
Ok, I know this was mostly computer aided, but fascinating video and somewhat scary how low the fog is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...-landing-a-plane-in-thick-fog-looks-like.html

Minimums for him are actually 100-1/4 meaning 100 feet ceiling and 1/4 mile vis. The weather was actually better than that and the fog was such that, I'll bet he could look straight down and see the ground, just not laterally.

Interesting but weather not really 'that' bad, IMHO. Plus hands off landing..wimp. Fun to watch and listen to tho-yes.

kielbasa said:
IFR pilots are trained to fly and land without looking out the windows. I agree with the poster above that crosswinds are more problematic for a pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42fchrzhHY

:eek:

Not look out the window to fly in IMC, yes, not to land tho. Landings are still 'manual' unless coupled/auto land and even then, the pilot is close to the controls and looking out the window. I've done a 'few'.

-retired USN Phantom Phyler

Alpe d'Huez said:
Did I understand correctly that you used to fly F4's? If so, hats off to you! Worked with a guy who was a Viet Nam vet, his best friend was a fighter pilot for years, said the Phantom was his favorite jet to fly. Said it was like driving a muscle car.

My favorite as well. 4 squadrons of F-4. C/D/J/N/S. Flew F-14 last 2 squadrons(1986-1990), didn't
like that jet. 60s technology stuffed into a 80s/90s airframe. Analog, like a supersonic A-6..always broke, everytime it rained.

Also single seat A-4, another great product from Douglas, E, F, F+, M. F-16N, adversary as well, with the Scooters.