• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Colombia 2.1 (Feb 12-17)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was amazed by the packed stadium during the team presentation, as well as enjoying the everlasting sly Uran facial expressions while talking to the crowds with a mic. Now we know Colombia has had its history in cycling but the globalisation of the sport is going rapidly. Have you seen the crowds in Rwanda for instance? It's nuts, i like it. Talked to some Canadian friends, they say since a year or 5 cycling has become incredibly popular. I wonder if men like Briek Schotte would have ever thought this to happen back in the days. I also wonder about the impact; will the monuments and all euro-nostalgia-romance you can think of in a long leap of time retain its significance?

Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
hayneplane said:
Probably too deep a field of pure climbers for Alaphillipe to podium even with the boost of a ttt. The Movistar riders all have solid racing this year already which could count for a lot but no reason not to believe that Bernal backed by such a strong climbing squad that can also turn in a solid ttt won't have every chance of repeating last years win.

Wouldnt they ride for Jungels? And he has something to prove with Mas on the rise. Who is THE guy when it comes to GC at Deceuninck going forward? Jungels has 2 very solid rides in Italy wile Mas even got a podium in Spain last year...

I like Jungels as a rider but figured that he would find it tough here as he has not ridden in a while and is a tter who can climb rather than a truly gifted climber.

Interestingly I looked him up on procycling stats and his schedule has him down to be riding most of the cobbled classics including Ronde van Vlaanderen.

Re:

Anderis said:
EF are saying that Martinez will be their leader, not Uran. A smokescreen or not?
They said that last week. What DNP is true. However in an interview with his coach they stated that they will try to take it easier with him this year. Like slow build up. I think that was from "Mundo Ciclistico" web site.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/26875-el-ef-education-first-de-rigoberto-uran-y-daniel-martinez-define-su-seis-para-un-tour-colombia-donde-apuntaran-muy-alto.html

They mentioned the slower build up on their official website and social media as well. But I've seen instances like these where the leader on the road didn't allign with what the team had announced before the race. I'm pretty sure Martinez will be free to chase his own result unless the race dictates otherwise but I have no idea with Uran. I've heard about his injury but I guess it was a minor injury and if he is ready to race, he may well be ready to race competitively. In 2017 he was supposed to focus more on one-day races but he failed completely in Ardennes and then rode a very competitive Tour de France. That's why I don't trust this type of information all that much.

Team Medellin 15:46
EPM 15:58
Neri Sottoli-Selle Italia 16:15
Seleccion de Italia 16:20
Bardiani-CSF 16:16
Seleccion Colombia 16:19
Hagens Berman Axeon 16:22
I Am Excelsior 16:22
Aevolo 16:24
Efapel 16:37
Betplay Cycling Team 17:03

Team Medellin 15:46