• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Commonwealth Games

Well most of the squad's have been announced and to be honest both the Road Race and Time Trial have massive favourites. Bradley Wiggins has to be the massive favourite for the Time Trial with Dowsett, Dennis, Thomas & Durbridge the other medal contenders. As for the road race the only thing stopping Cav is missing the winning break the likes of Thomas, Stannard, Ewan & Renshaw are the other medal contenders. Any surprises likely?

Gloin22 said:
That is a preety hilly course then. Should provide good racing.

Not really that hilly:
Screen_shot_2013_04_25_at_10.40.41_AM1.png

The last time the Games were in the UK, the
Aussies swept the podium in both the men's
road race and time trial. On the track the
Aussies won 8 of the 11 events (including
a sweep in the men's sprint), the Kiwi's
won 2 and Scots one. I'm guessing England
will do much better this time around and
put the ghosts of Manchester 2002 to rest.

oldcrank said:
The last time the Games were in the UK, the
Aussies swept the podium in both the men's
road race and time trial. On the track the
Aussies won 8 of the 11 events (including
a sweep in the men's sprint), the Kiwi's
won 2 and Scots one. I'm guessing England
will do much better this time around and
put the ghosts of Manchester 2002 to rest.

We should do much better as should the Kiwi's, I don't see Scotland winning a medal however.

Some of the hills are steep, though they are short. Cav won the Nationals because the field wasn't particularly strong and people were riding for themselves. It may be a bit different if teams have leaders, some of the strong guys like Stannard or Millar must be eyeing it up.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So NZ vs Australia vs England then for the RR basically, or am someone? Who is Canada sending? I'm guessing NZ and Australia will work together to attempt to make it rather hard for Cav. It could be interesting, but so much will depend on the condition of everyone post Tour.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
whittashau said:
So NZ vs Australia vs England then for the RR basically, or am someone? Who is Canada sending? I'm guessing NZ and Australia will work together to attempt to make it rather hard for Cav. It could be interesting, but so much will depend on the condition of everyone post Tour.

Cav will be riding for The Isle of Man with Kennaugh. David Miller and Andy Fenn will be riding for Scotland and could be some sort of factor. The Welsh team lead by Geraint Thomas will be fairly strong too, Luke Rowe is riding too along with some good youngsters.

Canada's team is basically their team pursuit squad. It's not a group of riders I'm familiar with to be honest besides Zach Bell. Bell, Pelletier-Roy, Hamilton, Veal and Caves. Can't imagine they'll be a massive threat.

Curiously, Sth Africa has named NO elite mens riders. Reasoning .... unknown. Their highest ranked rider, Impey, is almost certain to be on OGE's Tour line-up so that may possibly account for him. Not sure, however, if any others are likely to make the Tour so one is curious as to why the likes of Van Rensburg (Giant) or Meintjes (MTN Quebeka) weren't at least given a run.

dirkprovin said:
Curiously, Sth Africa has named NO elite mens riders. Reasoning .... unknown. Their highest ranked rider, Impey, is almost certain to be on OGE's Tour line-up so that may possibly account for him. Not sure, however, if any others are likely to make the Tour so one is curious as to why the likes of Van Rensburg (Giant) or Meintjes (MTN Quebeka) weren't at least given a run.
South African selection policy. The team as a whole isn't ranked high enough globally against the other Commonwealth nations, so they aren't sending a squad.

Totally ridiculous, if Impey wasn't suspended they could well have the strongest squad after Aus and England.