• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

compact bars, wide flat tops

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I already searched forum for an answer, didn't find one.
Which brands offer W_I_D_E tops on their shallow drop bars?
I have seen the FSA wing compact, would prefer something wider.
I currently use Control Teck Formidable carbon bars (150mm drop), would settle for aluminum bars if they were as wide, yet compact.
Any suggestions?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Christian Schneider said:
I currently use Control Teck Formidable carbon bars (150mm drop), would settle for aluminum bars if they were as wide, yet compact.
Any suggestions?

333T ergosum pro but watch for some have a narrow top or where the levers fit with flare out to bottom. I think they are made like that for SRAM levers.
make sure they are 46 wide at the levers. Richey logic are also nice .

I have shallow Controle tech but dont like the shape at the top of the bend it wont setup flat.. !!GEEES!!! we are fussy lot.but we pay top $$$$ so want what we want exactly.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Any suggestions?

The FSA is pretty wide. I ride this one: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...g-pro-compact-alloy-handlebar-4183.221.0.html

and have been very happy with it.

I think Ritchey has a number of compact bars now too.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Ritchey has the curve and the alloy evocurve but they are short and shallow but not flat, kind of ovalish

their streem bar is flat but deep drop long reach

Zipp has a carbon bar flat short and shallow that is nice. contour SL

I went flat short and shallow and never looked back. and I am not talking about the girls I date.

flat tops work for me in a big way. I find them so comfortable I switched to ergon on my xc mountain bikes.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Ritchey has the curve and the alloy evocurve but they are short and shallow but not flat, kind of ovalish

their streem bar is flat but deep drop long reach

Zipp has a carbon bar flat short and shallow that is nice. contour SL

I went flat short and shallow and never looked back. and I am not talking about the girls I date.

flat tops work for me in a big way. I find them so comfortable I switched to ergon on my xc mountain bikes.

So which bar are you riding on your road bike?

Any suggestions?

Wider than 44cm center to center?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
So which bar are you riding on your road bike?

I switched from the Streem (which i feel has the best flat spot) to the Zipp contour.

the FSA Kwing compact seems to have more of a flat spot and I like the angles but it is way over priced

my wife rides the Alloy FSA wing pro compact.

BTW do you mean flat top bar or flat transition/reach?