• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Comparing the routes of the 2015 Grand Tours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Compare the routes!

• They're equal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Netserk said:
No, not when you say it out of ignorance (honestly, no offense, but that is the case here). If that wasn't the case, then it would be a matter of personal preference.

You are wrong. I had seen the youtube clips and stage results before. I knew when I posted it that people wouldn't agree and would call me stupid or ignorant but it's my opinion. I'd rather see a tough uphill finish than a tough mountain followed by a descent followed by a long false flat run-in. I want to see explosive action. With a field like in 2010 it might be interesting but I can't see how it'll be interesting with Contador, Porte and Aru as the big favorites. But who knows, perhaps I'll be proven wrong. Time will tell.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Giro in a league of its own. Super long TT, good mountain stages ( also long ones like Cervinia...lenght makes a difference) .
A prologue , Champremier instead of that first climb in the Cervinia stage...Tze Core before that... St. Cristina in the Mortirolo stage (like in 1994/99) plus something before the Finestre and it would have been perfect.
8/10

Tour is ridiculous. The only proper mountain stages are under 150 km and there are basically only 3 mountain stages (2 of them with a decent design...Plateau de Beille is screwed up), rest is Unipublic style.
13 km ITT is a joke. They always should be at least 50 km in a GT otherwise it's no real GT. Then there is no descent finish.
I hope there will be some decent medium mountain stages.
3/10

Vuelta not bad. 1 great stage ( could be longer but not 1 km of flat between those 6 climbs) another good mountain stage ( Ermita). Then the mountain stage to Cercedilla with the hardest climb far from the finish (Morcuera) and a soft climb as last climb ( Cotos) a bit of flat then descent. Not bad.
A couple of descent finishes are also positive.
There are still screwed up stages like the stages to Avila, Murcia and Castellon. The TT should be longer and the first TT should be individual. Another good mountain stage should have been added instead of those (still quite a few) uphill sprints.
6/10

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You are wrong. I had seen the youtube clips and stage results before. I knew when I posted it that people wouldn't agree and would call me stupid or ignorant but it's my opinion. I'd rather see a tough uphill finish than a tough mountain followed by a descent followed by a long false flat run-in. I want to see explosive action. With a field like in 2010 it might be interesting but I can't see how it'll be interesting with Contador, Porte and Aru as the big favorites. But who knows, perhaps I'll be proven wrong. Time will tell.
Have you seen it live?
Just asking cuz it was such a pleasure,that I dont understand you :D

Eshnar said:
Haven't been counting, but this year the Giro won't have many HCs (in the PRC definition of HC, that is), so I guess it will be closer than in the last years

At a guess

PSM, Tourmalet, Beille, Glandon, Croix de Fer, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez

vs

Mortirolo, Monte Ologno, Saint-Panthaleon and Finestre

the lame Tour route 'wins'

The Tour route isn't criticised for its lack in HC mountains. Its criticised for having 14km of itt'ing balanced out with 5MTF's and 3HTF's. Add to that that the mountain stages are designed horribly, with very little chance of action before the last climb, no queen stage and they managed to use the same climbs again. Only cool little thing is the first week, and doing cobbles two years in a row isnt that great imo.

The Giro has only two things you can criticise, it lacks one or two cool Giro'esque medium mountain stages and its backloaded.

The Vuelta is the Vuelta and there's inherently gonna be something wrong with the route. But I love the fact that they keep trying new things every year. If the Tour would do one year with only new MTF's everyone would be over the moon.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
roundabout said:
At a guess

PSM, Tourmalet, Beille, Glandon, Croix de Fer, Galibier, Alpe d'Huez

vs

Mortirolo, Monte Ologno, Saint-Panthaleon and Finestre

the lame Tour route 'wins'

Why is it impossible to find the profile of Monte Ologno ( apart from the Giro website) ? After the top there is another couple km ascent to Piancavallo. There are 4 or 5 sides of Piancavallo but I didn't find the ascent which they do in the Giro. Piancavallo....not the right profile....Alpe Segletta...not the right profile...Ologno...there's nothing.

However...those HC climbs are perfectly placed in the Giro. Pierre St. Martin and Plateau de Beille Unipublic style. Galbier and Alpe d' Huez with a lot of almost flat inbetween + very short stage to Alpe d'Huez. Glandon is basically the only real climb in that stage.
The only well placed climb is the Croix de Fer. About Tourmalet and the finish in Cauterets....we'll see.

TRENDING THREADS