• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compression?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You may not need tights, just compression calf covering can do wonders, especially if you are standing a lot. I find even knee high Thorlo athletic socks do wonders for circulation of the legs. . . no need for specific compression things.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Buy a pair of Compresion socks for $10 on ebay they are great then tights are no good for cycling.

The Compresion Bib knicks will cause you too much presure on the gut and cause diarphram restriction making it hard to breath.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
cyclinghulk said:
I was thinking about buying some compression tights, but I'm a little skeptical. Is it worth the $100+? Discuss.

$100+? You're not shopping in the right places (try Chainreaction, Wiggle, your local discount sportswear store etc). There are other brands than 2XU, Skins etc that are cheaper than the 'premium' well promoted brands and likely just as effective.

Do they make a quantifiable difference to performance? I don't race or train with a powermeter (or 'train' at all tbh) so who knows. But they do feel good to wear, and I seem to feel fresher the next day if I wear them for a few hours after a hard ride.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks for all of the responses guys. I have narrowed down the search on chain reaction cycles and can't decide between 2XU and Skins, anyone have any experience with either? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
cyclinghulk said:
Okay, thanks for all of the responses guys. I have narrowed down the search on chain reaction cycles and can't decide between 2XU and Skins, anyone have any experience with either? Thanks.

You don't need them for cycling as your knicks provide plenty of compression. The gym is a different story - I wear Skins shorts when doing leg weights and then leave them on overnight (Mrs Laziali is not such a fan, but ce la vie). It substantially reduces the '2-days later soreness'.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
cyclinghulk said:

2XU have a draw cord at the waist, Skins don't. Probably doesn't matter much for recovery, but my wife finds she needs to hitch her skins up regularly because they ride down, so she doesn't like to run in them. This wouldn't be an issue with 2XU. Careful with the sizing, if you fit in two different sizes go for the smaller. I have skinny chicken legs and my 2XUs aren't quite as tight as I would like them.

cyclinghulk said:

have had a pair of the long Skins for years.
Originally got them for recovery after dirt crits when I was told that sleeping in them would be very beneficial. It worked, but so did sleeping in just regular long johns/thermal pants - both just increase the blood flow in your legs thereby improving recovery.

The biggest difference I found with them was when I used them for running. I've done half marathons both with and without them and the difference at the end, and the next day, is remarkable. I train without them, but will always do the full event in them.
I've been told that one of their major benefits is the damping of the shock that goes through your legs when your feet hit the pavement. This is why I think they work so well with running.
Cycling is a low impact sport, so really there's not much benefit to be had by wearing them while riding. Then again, it may be of more benefit for off-road riding?

dsut4392 said:
2XU have a draw cord at the waist, Skins don't. Probably doesn't matter much for recovery, but my wife finds she needs to hitch her skins up regularly because they ride down, so she doesn't like to run in them. This wouldn't be an issue with 2XU. Careful with the sizing, if you fit in two different sizes go for the smaller. I have skinny chicken legs and my 2XUs aren't quite as tight as I would like them.

while I haven't had the falling down issue with my Skins, I do agree that sizing is very important.
I wouldn't buy a first pair online - definately try them on in a shop first...

TRENDING THREADS