• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Congratulations, Angelo Zomegan and Giro Staff

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
This is a note of thanks and congratulations to all organizers, stall and management of the 2010 Giro - WELL DONE !!!!

I know there are still a few stages left, but excellent road,stage,mountain selection

Thank you so much - grazie infinite, grazie molte

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
are you having a laugh? he nearly killed the riders in the dutch stages.

No the riders themselves did this by racing incorrectly for these types of stages, this has already been debated to death in the topics featuring these exact stages. Also certain of the crashes happened at points where no crashes ought to happen, on wide open roads, without any furniture, mainly due to the manner in which many rider raced

BTW I do wish to extend my congratulations, it was truly one of the best Grand Tours that I've ever seen actually

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
No the riders themselves did this by racing incorrectly for these types of stages, this has already been debated to death in the topics featuring these exact stages. Also certain of the crashes happened at points where no crashes ought to happen, on wide open roads, without any furniture, mainly due to the manner in which many rider raced

BTW I do wish to extend my congratulations, it was truly one of the best Grand Tours that I've ever seen actually

balls, everyone knows how a grand tour peloton is in the first week. stupid course, far too many tight small turns. except for that is was ok, but not a classic.

Well, to be fair, the course would have been fine if you had a péloton full of teams used to that kind of thing. Of course the péloton's going to be nervous wondering which white-jersey-eligible Italian Colnago-CSF rider or which scrawny South American on an Italian ProConti team is going to fall.

Invite Skil, Vacansoleil, Landbouwkrediet and TopSport Vlaanderen, and problem solved!

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
balls, everyone knows how a grand tour peloton is in the first week. stupid course, far too many tight small turns. except for that is was ok, but not a classic.

Not a Classic? How do you decide a classic? It had an EPIC ascent of Zoncolan, had a gGREAT ITT up Kronplatz, The Dutch stages, as "dangerous" as some are claiming made entertaining viewing, and less dangerous then, say, the KBK/Ronde Van Nieuwsblad (sic) weekend was, a for-once decent TTT (mainly as it was up a mountain rather than the flat), a b break in the peloton with the race leaders not knowing where Sastre was, then letting it go too long and liquigas taking all the stick (even though it didn't harm their race one iota, and in fact helped in not tiring them out prior to the big mountain), the Strade Bianche stage where Evans showed his new-found gutsy-winning to grab only his 2nd ever GT stage victory (after a 2007 Vuelta stage), monterole + descent showing how good arroyo was downhill, the list goes on and on.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Invite Skil said:
Yes, you will solve the problem with crashing in the Netherlands, but instead you will get a new one: To few riders getting over the mountains. All due respect to the Belgian and Dutch pro-conti teams, but I don't see them being very competitive in the high mountains.

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
analo69 said:
Yes, you will solve the problem with crashing in the Netherlands, but instead you will get a new one: To few riders getting over the mountains. All due respect to the Belgian and Dutch pro-conti teams, but I don't see them being very competitive in the high mountains.

maybe, but, for instance, I will guarantee you that Vacansoleil or Top-Sport would have brought more to the race than, say, Colnago - who are the team we're saying weren't used to those conditions.

If Brown can make it to the finish (which he did), I'm sure the entire Vacansoleil squad could have made it to the finish.

Don't underestimate them, they would surely have more finishers than for instance BMC.
Also, they have a lot of climbers in their squad actually... Carrara, Hoogerland, Ruijgh, Poels, ...

TRENDING THREADS