• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador about to leave the tour?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Well at least my top 10 prediction will have one thing correct about it if he does pull out.

In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't leave and I personally think he won't. He is a proud rider. I think he will stay and finish the race unless it is really bad.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
He wont be leaving (yet anyways) but he does have problems. I reckon he will hope it gets better by thursday and then take it from there.

the press conference is just the regular rest-day press conference, but ofcourse the journalists will dig into the knee-issue

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
I do not think he will.Samuel Sanchez and Euskaltel DS have just said that for them Contador is the favorite. Bad news about Contador would spread fast among close riders, I guess.

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/igor-glez-contador-sera-dinamite/20110711dasdascic_3/Tes

Samu is being very diplomatic , he is not going to say Contador is in bad form or bad injured since they are friends, remember Contador gave stages in the last Giro to euskaltel, they owe him some support.

Whoever wins this Tour will be the winner by default. Pedestrians and slick tarmac have whittled the field of GC candidates down considerably. Will really suck if it is Andy or Cuddles first GT win (because in a way it won't mean as much if they had beaten guys on the road (IMO)).

Publicus said:
Whoever wins this Tour will be the winner by default. Pedestrians and slick tarmac have whittled the field of GC candidates down considerably. Will really suck if it is Andy or Cuddles first GT win (because in a way it won't mean as much if they had beaten guys on the road (IMO)).
i agree.

but i also think they'll take it any way they can...

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:

In a few years' time everyone will have forgotten how the race was won, and just remember who won it.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Whoever wins this Tour will be the winner by default. Pedestrians and slick tarmac have whittled the field of GC candidates down considerably.

Ye that is what annoyes me the most about this tour and all the crashes. The podium will consist of the GC-contenders who were lucky enough to avoid crashes. Its really sad for the race. I was so very much looking forward to seeing the alot of favorites fighting it out in the mountains. Not just 2-3.

I would rather have a super boring first but have all (or most) of the favorites still in the race by the time they hit the mountains. I know they will always crash in the first week but this year has been extreme. Going on big highways with no crosswins on totally falt stages is boring like hell but fewer favorites will crash and that will make it so much more interesting in week 2 and 3.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Spaniard said:
Samu is being very diplomatic , he is not going to say Contador is in bad form or bad injured since they are friends, remember Contador gave stages in the last Giro to euskaltel, they owe him some support.

We watched a different Giro it seems.

tobsie said:

hrotha said:
Press conferences during rest days are standard. I wouldn't worry just yet. It's entirely possible he'll withdraw, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't at least start tomorrow's stage.

The press conference is indeed completely standard - it was announced yesterday and all the teams have them.

Conti pulling from training is not that surprising - unfortunate and worrying, yes - but not surprising as already yesterday he said he was having problems and was hoping a lot of ice would help...

No doubt he's going to stay on the bike as long as he hopes it'll get better - but I wouldn't be surprised if Leopard Trek will aim to keep the pace as high as possible over the next two days to see if they can put pressure on him and the knee so he's still in a bad place come the mountains...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Even if the favourites crashed out, I don't see how it would make that mch of a difference. Contador's participation in the tour before the delay of the hearing was in doubt and he wasn't going to be participation. Some of the others lost time because of bad luck but many riders were saying that many riders are taking stupid risks and others have been badly postioned. I think Andy would like revenge for the Chain incident last year but he would still take it with open arms. If AC hadn't of crashed and Andy still thinks he would of beaten him. I don't think it changes things too much.

Sorry for my ramblings...:p

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I would have appreciated it if AC had not started this Tour. Now that he's there, I hope he will be able to finish the race. Nobody should have to quit a race because of injuries- unfortunately though, this happens often enough. Already too many favourites were forced out of this years Tour due to crashes (I am especially sorry for van den Broek), so there's no need for another case like this... Let's hope the best.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
343599534.jpg

Saxo presser about to begin (Cycling Central)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
This Tour is well on its way to being the worst in recent memory. 2008 & 2009 (take your pick, IMO 2008 was the worst) were a joy when compared with this.
2008 was an exciting tour compared to many recent editions. Wasn't so one sided and predictable. I Don't see your problem...

Publicus said:

Disagree. If you want to be picky you could say that or something similar about most Tours.

2006 - Ulrich, Basso etc booted out on eve of race
2007 - Vino and Kloden (the two betting favourites) both crash out. Rasmussen forced out when leading.
2008 - Contador and Leipheimer not allowed to compete
2009 - OK, this one was pretty comprehensive.
2010 - Andy loses 39s to a mechanical and loses by 39s.

When it comes to the Tour I don't think there are any "default" wins. Well, except maybe Pereiro.