• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

contador acquittal: checking the pulse

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Should the case be appealed ?

No

Who do you think will appeal to cas ?

Both

Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ?

Yes

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas

Yes

Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted?

The less arrogant :cool:

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
1. Should the case be appealed ?
YES, but I fear this is a farce.

2. Who do you think will appeal to cas ?
WADA (if anyone) not the UCI

3. Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it?
NO (but who cares if I do?)

4. Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas?
NO (but who cares if I do?)

5. (provocative) between the two, who would you rather be acquitted?
They'd need to charge Armstrong with something before he can be acquitted.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Roninho said:
No

Both (WADA will appeal imo, so from a PR perspective it would be stupid for the UCI to not appeal. If wada somehow does not appeal then UCI will also not appeal)

Yes

Yes

Contador

A couple of years ago i would have wanted to see any rider that doped go down. Now it has become obvious to me that 99% of the topriders are doping and that the current system only maybe gets 10-20% of the topriders busted, which is only killing the sport commercially and isn't stopping the doping usage at all. I mean what good did it for the sport that Ullrich and Basso were banned from the TDF when it does not stop the next generation (hello Contador, Kohl, Ricco, Dekker, etc.) start (or continue?) doping?

So although it pains me to say, as long as the current ineffective system is in place and they fail to start an active retro-testing system i much rather have the soccer-system of 'don't know about it and don't do anything about it'. So acquit Contador and let's watch some great cycling with him and Andy in the TDF.

Edit: To make things clear: If i was in charge i would implement a re-testing old samples system which imo would result in no or very limited doping within a few years. That would be my way forward for cycling. I prefer no doping, and would fight it but only when you have a system with which you actually can fight it.

+1. It is just annoying that the results get so screwed up. One doper gets his title stripped and given to another doper. The current system is simply not working.

No
WADA
Yes
No
Contador

Should the case be appealed ? Yes

Who do you think will appeal to CAS ? UCI. Despite their bungles at the start, they have recently followed protocol closely, and I expect them to on this as well. I hope anyway. They may force WADA to though.

Will you accept RFEC’s verdict if CAS supports it ? Yes. Reluctantly, but yes, because those are the rules.

Will you put behind this case if Contador’s acquitted by CAS? Yes, but again, reluctantly.

Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? Armstrong, but only within the scope of the question, as he has not been charged yet. I would like to see the truth come out on his doping, and I'd like it to come from his mouth, but I don't need to see Lance charged, convicted and sent to prison like some suggest, and that is the context with which I place my answer. If the question is "exposed for doping beyond a shadow of a doubt", then my answer is reversed. Though either of them walking Scot free are bothersome thoughts, seeing Contador keep winning races and standing on podiums with Lance sent to jail just would not sit with me.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Don’t know

Uci

Yes

Yes

Between the two (Contador - Armstrong), who would you rather be acquitted?
Contador

I don't think Contador is an angel or something like that, 100% sure that he has doped one/many/several times during his career. But I do believe every case should be treated individually, and have a sort of pragmatic view on the entire sitution. It's not appealing to have A. Schleck as winner of TDF 2010 either.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
YES the case should absolutely be appealed and it should be done by UCI. that's the only way to verify that Spain has acted properly and hasn't given into political pressure as has been expressed.

if it isn't appealed will I accept the verdict....yes. I serously doubt that UCI will forgive and forget so i expect that AC will now be tested at every possible oppertunity. Whenever there's a "random" drawing of a rider to be tested for some odd reason AC's name will always come up.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Should the case be appealed ? Yes

Who do you think will appeal to cas ? Both

Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ? It is not my role to accept or reject the verdict.

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas I have nothing to put behind me, it is just a sport I like to watch but is not my life.

Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? I would rather see the guilty ones be found guilty on solid scientific evidence.

On the Positive side of a possible appeal, if it is appealed to CAS and WADA/UCI win and get him suspended, he will be out for more than a year now. His participation in the Volta Argave means that his suspension will go from the time of the CAS verdict rather than the start of his voluntary suspension back in August.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:

No

Both

Yes

Yes

The less arrogant :cool:

+1
agreed on all parts

Should the case be appealed ? Probably, but I can't say for sure because I haven't studied all of the details of the case.

Who do you think will appeal to cas ? UCI; will WADA actually need to if the UCI does?

Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ? Yes

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas Yes

Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? Contador, assuming LA is charged

On another note, I'm not sure everyone understands the correct meaning of 'acquitted'

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
here’s the next and probably last update coz judging by the slowing responses, the poll does not have much mileage left. again, i’ve dropped the last question from the survey as most felt it was irrelevant.

i’m going to take the liberty of compiling some preliminary conclusions. some are surprising. feel free to correct me.

(i)Clearly, people don’t trust. rfec’s decision. An overwhelming majority, 76%, voted for cas appeal.
(ii) it’s interesting that whilst the majority (83%) don’t expect the uci to take the lead in the appeal, they trust that there will be no divergence with wada and both will appeal. i think it’s important to remind that the uci has the first shot (30d) with wada’s window extended by another 3 weeks. so, technically the uci will have to appeal first, if they don’t want to be publicly embarraced by wada.
(iii) i think it’s significant that the majority (56%) will accept cas’s support of rfec’s exonoration despite strongly mistrusting it. this speaks volumes about cas’s high reputation with the fans.
(iv) regarding whether ppl will forget about the case if contador was fully exonorated, the opinions are split fairly even.

total responders 34, not all numbers add up b/c some answers did not fit.

Yes ---26
No---5
Don’t know---2

Wada--7
Uci---5
Both----18

Yes---18
No---10
Don’t know---4

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas ?

Yes---13
No---15
Don’t know---4

I vary between "Yes" (just so we can say it was brought to a proper and exhaustive procedural end, assuming no civil claims ensue), but I will vote "Don't know", because personally I don not put that much trust in the CAS-procedures and since a "yes" is interpreted just so, I cannot vote yes.

WADA

Yes

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas?

Yes, sort of.

Definitely Contador, because although he may hovae doped, I doubt seriously it was with Clen. If you want to bust him for blood doping, do just that and don't bust him for jaywalking. Besides that Armstrong needs to be brought down a peg or two.

Regards
GJ

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site

Yes

Wada

Yes

Yes

(note: to keep it clean, lets keep the discussion of the two out of the answer -too many threads for that)

Contador
Armstrong

Neither, either they are guilty and should serve a ban or they aren't and should walk, this is not a case of personal preference

TRENDING THREADS