• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador and Spanish cycling

Contador again comes out to bootlick Armstrong and the doping culture. I have been a big fan of Spanish cycling over the years, from Heras to Mayo to Contador, but I am disgusted with them and Spanish sports in general. I've defended and praised Contador here, time and time again. No longer.

They've all shown themselves to be complete frauds, fully invested in the culture of doping and omerta.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Most of the stuff he said are actually true:rolleyes:
Maybe you should just think before pouncing on any rider who does not criticise armstrong

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
It seems like a synchronized effort. Johan or Lance with the phone, asking for return favors for not exposing them/start a new witch hunt? :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Pretty easy to get confidential wiretaps running in the US if money laundering is suspected. Texting/calling friends for "favors" wouldn't look very good these days. Oh, and the throw away phones are not private if we're talking about the level of resources used in money laundering or similar investigations. We are in the post 9/11 world, it's different.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
A bit harsh, I'm sure there are clean Spanish riders out there. Maybe Luis Leon Sanchez has never developed into a GC contender because he refuses to dope. Ridiculous to put a whole nation in the same bracket.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Most of the stuff he said are actually true:rolleyes:
Maybe you should just think before pouncing on any rider who does not criticise armstrong

Have you forgotten what Armstrong did to people in the sport?

Have you forgotten how he cheated with the help of the UCI and it appears he had others test positive as he saw them as threats.

To be apart of the same sport and not criticise that stinks.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Contador again comes out to bootlick Armstrong and the doping culture. I have been a big fan of Spanish cycling over the years, from Heras to Mayo to Contador, but I am disgusted with them and Spanish sports in general. I've defended and praised Contador here, time and time again. No longer.

They've all shown themselves to be complete frauds, fully invested in the culture of doping and omerta.

Signed.

the asian said:
What on earth was true about what he said?
The only thing that comes close is, he said the riders should have opened their mouths in 2005.

"It seems to me that at certain times and in certain places Lance is not being treated with any respect," Contador, a double Tour champion who returned from a two-year doping ban in August, told reporters in Paris at the presentation of the 2013 edition of the race.

"He is being humiliated and lynched, in my opinion. He is being destroyed," the Saxo Bank-Tinkoff rider, who had a difficult relationship with Armstrong when they were team mates at Astana, was quoted as saying by Spanish media.

"Right now people are talking about Lance but there has not been any new test or anything," Contador added. "It's based exclusively on witness statements that could have existed in 2005.

"I respect each rider's decision but I would have liked it to happen a bit earlier."

Armstrong was stripped of his 1999-2005 Tour victories on Monday when the International Cycling Union (UCI) ratified the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's decision to erase his results from August, 1998 .

Armstrong, who fought back from cancer to dominate the sport, has always denied doping and says he has never failed a drugs test.

"What there is (in terms of evidence) I don't know, what I do know is that if cycling is popular in the United States it's thanks to him," Contador said.

"If they know over there what the Tour is it's thanks to him, if there are top-level teams and races in his country it's thanks to him."

So what's not true?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto never said Lance is innocent. What Alberto said is true, every word of it.

There is only 1 reason Contador is talking this way and that is becuase he is scared taht Johan and Lance will drag him under the bus.

Contador is part of the doping omerta.

Contador is scum!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
So what's not true?

Where was Armstrong's respect for the right of people to tell the truth?

Look what Armstrong did to the Andreu's, Emma O'Reilly, Mike Anderson, and not too mention Contador.

LaFlorecita said:
So what's not true?
The part where he hopes people didn't wait years to become whistleblowers, for one. Or that it's based exclusively on witness statements pre-2005. Or that he isn't know what evidence there is.

Contador's words aren't as bad as Valverde's or Samu's, but they're not exactly an endorsement of clean cycling either.

cineteq said:
Is this true?
"From my point of view, he was been humiliated and lynched."

Well I don't know Alberto pov but if it's really that then it's true.

Benotti69 said:
Where was Armstrong's respect for the right of people to tell the truth?

Look what Armstrong did to the Andreu's, Emma O'Reilly, Mike Anderson, and not too mention Contador.

Alberto said that there is no respect for Lance and that's true.

Moose McKnuckles said:

apart from your correct views- I just cannot believe Mr Contador is saying that sh!t after all the nightmare he went through in the 09 TDF alone with the LA vendetta against him... I mean-did he forgive or forget?

PS: I'm not discarting phone calls from JB presssing to make such statement,but still is ridiculous to even put words of pity on the biggest fraud of cycling....

shameful Mr Contador, because I like you as a rider......