Contador Crash - Tour Disaster ?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Has Contadors DNF handed Nibali easy victory ?

• Made no difference. TDF is too unpredictable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 19, 2011
Fight.The.Power said:
he he yeh

I never read the book either.

But did you prefer the Peter Ustinov version, OR the Albert Finney version or the David Suchet version?

Think I liked the Albert Finney version myself.
can't remember those edition names lol long time ago,

If Nibali wins, it will be well deserved.

I think Nibali is coming into better form, peaking perfectly. Could he have fought Froome or Contador? It doesn't matter. It is 100% irrelevant. Astana have ridden superbly as a cohesive team.

I was rooting for Contador, but I'll think Nibali's win is well deserved. Respect the race and give kudos to the winner.

I also like to see Porte grabbing his chance. It's like Talladega Nights; the best friend and loyal lieutenant usurping the champ...

Aug 13, 2010
T-Nielsen said:
This tour went from a "The good The bad The ugly" showdown, over a "Once Upon a Time in the West" style duel til just some dude shooting bison when he wants to...

I know, a very bad analogi but I am watching a terrible western.
I think you will find that kind of poor analogy is unforgiven.

Journey Man said:
If Nibali wins, it will be well deserved.

I think Nibali is coming into better form, peaking perfectly. Could he have fought Froome or Contador? It doesn't matter. It is 100% irrelevant. Astana have ridden superbly as a cohesive team.

I was rooting for Contador, but I'll think Nibali's win is well deserved. Respect the race and give kudos to the winner.

I also like to see Porte grabbing his chance. It's like Talladega Nights; the best friend and loyal lieutenant usurping the champ...
Yes indeed, however, this was a once in a lifetime chance damn it!

Jul 9, 2009
T-Nielsen said:
This tour went from a "The good The bad The ugly" showdown, over a "Once Upon a Time in the West" style duel til just some dude shooting bison when he wants to...

It's better to just turn off the movie.

May 19, 2011
deValtos said:
Correct me if i'm wrong but the reserve bikes on team cars don't have the vittel number just below the saddle. The one in the crash most certainly does.
Several Tour riders expressed surprise at this, telling CyclingTips that from their experience, spare bikes don’t have race numbers on them [image].

However, according to Mondini, Contador’s personal mechanic Munoz – who is known as a perfectionist – ensures that his rider’s number is on both the usual race bike and also his spare.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/tinkoff-saxo-tangle-with-belkin-bikes-identified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

May 19, 2011
Michele Scarponi is such old school, he paced the peloton without powermeter:eek: every other rider has one, or did he get a spare bike after the crash?

One horse canter from here.

That's why there is collective grief. On the climb before he abandoned, AC looked awful and everyone just knew TDF 2014 = over as a battle.

I think what's so disastrous is that no one has shot anyone yet. Or to be more precise, people have shot their own foots (legs/wrists). It's all so unfulfilling.

Nibbles did a bit of sword work on the cobbles - but it's basically over before a proper battle. Can't remember that ever happening before.

At worst, it's all over because of the first real battle - often a ridiculous first TT from someone.

T-Nielsen said:

Nice. :eek: The fact is that I love evan "Once Upon a Time in the West" probably the Tour is still worth to watch for me than :).

Probably the main question is answered, but there are plenty interesting questions that has to be still answered.

Is Porte GT GC material or not. He has the chance of his life.
Will Kittel loose at least one sprint to somebody.
Will Sagan get his stage win here.
How many minutes can Tony Martin get on his oponents in TT, can he get another stage from break.
Will Bouhani laught from his team till the end of Tour or Demare show something.
Pinot or Bardet.
and lot of others :eek:

+ Nibali is not bot, he can crash or have mechanical as well, and there will be No Mercy in that case, peloton will kill him.

Fight.The.Power said:
Posted this on the stage thread but think it more relevant here

----------------------------

I agree with carlton Kirby

I think the Tour is wide open now.

A podium is staring potentially 10 riders in the face.

Horner
JVDB
Talansky
Porte
Mollema
TJVG
Valverde
Rolland
Kwia ?? Possibly (gains time in TT)
Rui Costa - scraping the barrel now ?
You take the effort to dish up 10 names, yet you are forgetting Pinot and Bardet. Of your list, only Valverde and Porte are podium candidates.

Jun 2, 2010
This is Nibali's Tour to lose, but I can imagine Valverde and Porte realizing this is their once-in-the-lifetime opportunity to win it.
That should make interesting second half of the race.

Eriana

BANNED
Jun 22, 2014
SKSemtex said:
Is Porte GT GC material or not. He has no the chance of his life.
Will Kittel loose at least one sprint to somebody.
Will Sagan get his stage win here.
How many minutes can Tony Martin get on his oponents in TT, can he get another stage from break.
Will Bouhani laught from his team till the end of Tour or Demare show something.
Pinot or Bardet.
and lot of others :eek:

+ Nibali is not bot, he can crash or have mechanical as well, and there will be No Mercy in that case, peloton will kill him.
1. Sure he is. Winner? If he has a only good days so he can get back the 1 minute, if the other contenders actually do some work instead of wheelsucking all the way to Paris, and he kills it in TT
2. If he punctures
3. Does he need to take the chance? He has the green jersey already, no need to work anymore for it, just cruise easily to Paris and stay in first 10 within the finish
4. If he doesn't take the wrong turn someplace...2 minutes tops. Speaking off there was somebody saying on twitter last night "I am scared one day panzerwagen will leave the entire the peloton out of the time cut".
5. If I were Bouhani I would send an email to the team manager every day with LOL LOL LOL LOL as subject. The only thing Demare will show is that he is very very over-rated.
6. for what?

RedheadDane said:
I honestly believe/hope that the four French riders who went into top-10 yesterday will all go "I can be the first French Winner of the Tour in almost 30 years! I gotta ATTACK!":D
Quite the opposite to me.
They will all go: "I can be the first French to be on the podium in almost 20 years" and only attack at the very end of the stage to take some time off Porte and Valverde.

Though I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong on this. Especially if it's Bardet :)

personal said:
This is Nibali's Tour to lose, but I can imagine Valverde and Porte realizing this is their once-in-the-lifetime opportunity to win it.
That should make interesting second half of the race.
+1.

I am interested in seeing Porte for the first time as the leader for Sky in a Tour.

I am not sure Valverde has what it takes to be a winner.

Jun 2, 2010
Escarabajo said:
+1.

I am interested in seeing Porte for the first time as the leader for Sky in a Tour.

I am not sure Valverde has what it takes to be a winner.
He is going well, his team is very strong and he is riding smart - we didn't see him in the wind at all in the first half of the Tour. It is not impossible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cen Professional Road Racing 84

ASK THE COMMUNITY