• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Crash - Tour Disaster ?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Has Contadors DNF handed Nibali easy victory ?

• Made no difference. TDF is too unpredictable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
MBotero said:
Contador fans seems like they have a veil over they eyes,they live in their fantasy world,they become day by day more ridiculous.First it was Wiggins who certainly won TDF in 2012 because Contador was not there,then in 2013 he was there but Froome destroyed him,this time"he was not in form",now is 2014 Nibali didn't even won yet,but of course he doesn't deserve it because Contador is not here anymore,plus Contador would have crush him anyway.I would love to see Froome sprinting up the mountains,but he's not here,other guy will win it ,maybe Nibali and that guy deserves all the credit.
Great post:p...only Tour he didnt deserve to win was 2013 (and 2005) thats obvious.Isnt it normal to want the best to win?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So the Chicken didn't win the 2007 Tour?

When did that happen?
what?no,he didnt.
Seriously,for me its very possible Contador would won it anyway by couple of seconds.Schleck is a masterclass tt in comparison with chicken '07:D

Difference was something about 3 minutes before chicken withdrew,he lost about 35 secs on 8km in stage 1 on Contador,the last itt was 53km long iirc.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Contador fans will say Contador would have won.
Froome fans will say Froome would have won.
Nibali fans will say Nibali would have won anyway.
Very accurate post,we just discuss what is the most probable:)

ILovecycling said:
As for me I think he could have won even with Rasmussen in the race (he would have gave him a more than 3 minutes:eek:)

In the first long ITT (54km) he took a whooping 27'' on Rasmussen. Rasmussen finished 11th behind three Astana riders who wouldn't ride the second long ITT. Rasmussen had 3'10'' on Contador after Aubisque, so he would have to finish 42nd in the second ITT (same time as Soler, who lost 4'11'' to Rasmussen in the first ITT) to lose to Contador. Given how strong Rasmussen was on Aubisque, he wasn't going to fade, but would probably have been in the top-10 in the second ITT around Pereiro and only lose 18'' to Contador.

Despite what some might think Contador's ITTs in that Tour weren't very impressive and he wouldn't have taken much time on Rasmussen. No offence, but you'd have to be deluded to think there even was a possibility that Rasmussen wouldn't have won that Tour.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
In the first long ITT (54km) he took a whooping 27'' on Rasmussen. Rasmussen finished 11th behind three Astana riders who wouldn't ride the second long ITT. Rasmussen had 3'10'' on Contador after Aubisque, so he would have to finish 42nd in the second ITT (same time as Soler, who lost 4'11'' to Rasmussen in the first ITT) to lose to Contador. Given how strong Rasmussen was on Aubisque, he wasn't going to fade, but would probably have been in the top-10 in the second ITT around Pereiro and only lose 18'' to Contador.

Despite what some might think Contador's ITTs in that Tour weren't very impressive and he wouldn't have taken much time on Rasmussen.
ohh,I forgot that first itt,thanks;),then its obvious he wouldnt have won.On the other hand,it was Chicken's bs clinic thing why he had to withdraw.We cant talk about it here,but AC is then more or less true winner of '07 cuz of Chicken clinic thing.
Its like if you say Andy ishouldnt be a winner of maillot blanc '08 cuz Ricco would have beat him.

bolded: thats true,worst year TT wise I think (except '13:eek:)

ILovecycling said:
ohh,I forgot that first itt,thanks;),then its obvious he wouldnt have won.On the other hand,it was Chicken's bs clinic thing why he had to withdraw.We cant talk about it here,but AC is then more or less true winner of '07 cuz of Chicken clinic thing.
Its like if you say Andy ishouldnt be a winner of maillot blanc '08 cuz Ricco would have beat him.

bolded: thats true,worst year TT wise I think (except '13:eek:)
The difference between Rasmussen and Ricco was simply that there only was an ITT left for Rasmussen, which made it quite predictable what would happen, unlike with Ricco who could've blown later in the race, or perhaps podium/win it. The two situations are not comparable at all.

BTW the only reason he had to withdraw was because his team fired him. Had he ridden for a team like Disco that wouldn't have been a problem.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
So Porte just said it's an absolute dream to get to the podium :eek: Ok i understand him but don't count on him in doing something crazy.

Valverde will never attack, especially not before the last km's.

All the french riders in the top 10 will try and stay in top 3 and maybe get the podium or try to be the best french rider.

This is the whole issue, imagine if a guy like pinot goes from 80 km. Astana won't even have to ride, other teams will ride for them since their beloved top 10/podium spot is in danger.

Only crash or bad day from Nibali will make the tour exciting.

I can't believe i would ever miss this guy
66-froome-getty.jpg

I'm happy quintana is not riding this though, we all know piti would screw him over. Damn i really hate the rider valverde.

Miburo said:
So Porte just said it's an absolute dream to get to the podium :eek: Ok i understand him but don't count on him in doing something crazy.

Valverde will never attack, especially not before the last km's.

All the french riders in the top 10 will try and stay in top 3 and maybe get the podium or try to be the best french rider.

This is the whole issue, imagine if a guy like pinot goes from 80 km. Astana won't even have to ride, other teams will ride for them since their beloved top 10/podium spot is in danger.

Only crash or bad day from Nibali will make the tour exciting.

I can't believe i would ever miss this guy
66-froome-getty.jpg

I'm happy quintana is not riding this though, we all know piti would screw him over. Damn i really hate the rider valverde.

Froome, Contador, Nibali & Quintana are a class apart from all the rest right now. Hopefully they will all be together in a GT race at some point >< !

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
He didn't seem to screw him over at last years Tour.

Then you must be blind, you really didn't think valverde screwed him over? Btw without that echelon stage it would have even been worse.

Explain to me why he's not riding the tour, yea the giro :eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
You think it was his own initiative to attack on Port de Pailhères? Or the next day? Good thing for Quintana that Valverde lost so much time in the crosswinds.

Miburo said:
Then you must be blind, you really didn't think valverde screwed him over? Btw without that echelon stage it would have even been worse.

Explain to me why he's not riding the tour, yea the giro :eek:

It's hard to make definite judgement because of Quintana becoming leader after the crosswind stage. But I don't think wanting and encouraging Quintana to attack is necessarily screwing him over. Don't forget, until this point Quintana didn't have the experience being a main player/GC man in a GT. So I think his attacks in the long run were good for his development as a GC man.

And it did work out anyways for Quintana. I do agree that Quintana wouldn't have done as well as he did had Valverde not lost time. But I wouldn't call it screwing him over.

And he's not riding the Tour because management wanted him to do the Giro. That decision doesn't really have anything to do with Valverde. Valverde also expressed interest pre-season in doing the Giro.

Netserk said:

Despite what some might think Contador's ITTs in that Tour weren't very impressive and he wouldn't have taken much time on Rasmussen. No offence, but you'd have to be deluded to think there even was a possibility that Rasmussen wouldn't have won that Tour.

Yeah, I think Rasmussen had that one in the bag before getting thrown out. It was a good duel in the mountains, but the time he gained in the breakaway before riders realized he was a legitimate GC threat gave him a comfortable buffer going into the final TT. I don't think anybody realized what he was capable of in the TT in 2007. I seem to recall that he actually passed Valverde in the first TT to the amazement of just about everybody.

Afrank said:
It's hard to make definite judgement because of Quintana becoming leader after the crosswind stage. But I don't think wanting and encouraging Quintana to attack is necessarily screwing him over. Don't forget, until this point Quintana didn't have the experience being a main player/GC man in a GT. So I think his attacks in the long run were good for his development as a GC man.

And it did work out anyways for Quintana. I do agree that Quintana wouldn't have done as well as he did had Valverde not lost time. But I wouldn't call it screwing him over.

And he's not riding the Tour because management wanted him to do the Giro. That decision doesn't really have anything to do with Valverde. Valverde also expressed interest pre-season in doing the Giro.

Lol at the bolded.

Major lol at the underlined and bolded.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
The TDF would be one lame *** race if any one or two rider being out of it caused it to be a lesser spectacle.
The premise of the question/poll is silly, those two "favorites" who abandoned, did so because they did not meet the minimum skill requirement... that is staying on their bikes, they/their teams, made bad decisions that put them in the wrong places and now they have paid for poor decision making, it is that simple.

Now let's hope they heal up quickly and are back at it very soon.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Lol at the bolded.

Major lol at the underlined and bolded.

That's superior knowledge to what I said right there. :rolleyes:

So perhaps you could tell me what part Valverde played in the managements decision for Quintana to do the Giro? Not being sarcastic, generally interested here.

Never wait said:
The TDF would be one lame *** race if any one or two rider being out of it caused it to be a lesser spectacle.
The premise of the question/poll is silly, those two "favorites" who abandoned, did so because they did not meet the minimum skill requirement... that is staying on their bikes, they/their teams, made bad decisions that put them in the wrong places and now they have paid for poor decision making, it is that simple.

Now let's hope they heal up quickly and are back at it very soon.

That is a bit harsh really. Both Froome and Contador were just unlucky.

ILovecycling said:
what?no,he didnt.
Seriously,for me its very possible Contador would won it anyway by couple of seconds.Schleck is a masterclass tt in comparison with chicken '07:D

Difference was something about 3 minutes before chicken withdrew,he lost about 35 secs on 8km in stage 1 on Contador,the last itt was 53km long iirc.
The only probability that Contador had of winning that Tour was if the Checken crashed in the last few days. No other option.

In the first long TT theresults were as follows:
1. Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana) 1hr 6min 34sec
2. Cadel Evans (Predictor-Lotto) @ 1min 14sec
3. Andreas Kloden (Astana) @ 1min 39sec
4. Andrey Kashechkin (AStana) @ 1min 44sec
5. Bradley Wiggins (Cofidis) @ 2min 14sec
6. Yaroslav Popovych (Discovery) @ 2min 16sec
7. Alberto Contador (Discovery) @ 2min 18sec
8. Sylvain Chavanel (Cofidis) @ 2min 38sec
9. Levi Leipheimer (Discovery) @ 2min 39sec
10. Mikel Astarloza (Euskaltel) @ 2min 42sec
11. Michael Rasmussen (Rabobank) @ 2min 55sec
12. Vladimir Gusev (Discovery) @ 2min 56sec
46. Iban Mayo (Saunier Duval) @ 6min 4sec
47. Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) @ 6min 8sec

The difference between the Chicken and Contador was 37". And the Chicken was getting stronger with the days. So no chance that with one TT left Contador was going to pull the 3:10 advanatge that Chicken had. That Tour was his.

Escarabajo said:
The only probability that Contador had of winning that Tour was if the Checken crashed in the last few days. No other option.

In the first long TT theresults were as follows:

The difference between the Chicken and Contador was 37". And the Chicken was getting stronger with the days. So no chance that with one TT left Contador was going to pull the 3:10 advanatge that Chicken had. That Tour was his.

Which is exactly what Netserk posted in his reply:eek:

First TT in 2007 was actually very hilly. One of the toughest TdF TT profiles in the last decade or so. Last year's Embrun-Chorges has been the most difficult, but Albi TT is closer to that than it is compared to easiest ones.

Second TT was much flatter. Still Rasmussen had a very healthy gap. Other teams played it very stupid allowing him to take that big lead.

TRENDING THREADS