• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Crash - Tour Disaster ?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Has Contadors DNF handed Nibali easy victory ?

• Made no difference. TDF is too unpredictable.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
The difference between Rasmussen and Ricco was simply that there only was an ITT left for Rasmussen, which made it quite predictable what would happen, unlike with Ricco who could've blown later in the race, or perhaps podium/win it. The two situations are not comparable at all.

BTW the only reason he had to withdraw was because his team fired him. Had he ridden for a team like Disco that wouldn't have been a problem.
yeah,and we all know why;)
Never wait said:
The TDF would be one lame *** race if any one or two rider being out of it caused it to be a lesser spectacle.
The premise of the question/poll is silly, those two "favorites" who abandoned, did so because they did not meet the minimum skill requirement... that is staying on their bikes, they/their teams, made bad decisions that put them in the wrong places and now they have paid for poor decision making, it is that simple.

Now let's hope they heal up quickly and are back at it very soon.
Bad decisions?wrong places?Ohh god,do you know how these crashes happened in detail,probably not...
Escarabajo said:
The only probability that Contador had of winning that Tour was if the Checken crashed in the last few days. No other option.

In the first long TT theresults were as follows:

The difference between the Chicken and Contador was 37". And the Chicken was getting stronger with the days. So no chance that with one TT left Contador was going to pull the 3:10 advanatge that Chicken had. That Tour was his.
nvm,good post;)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Nibali IS a deserving winner. Not his fault the other crashed out. I think he would have finished behind Froome and Contador despite his epic ride on the cobbles (so many epic mountain stages yet to go), but it really isnt Nibalis fault they are gone so he desserves the win. But its a damn shame for the race that the two best GC riders are gone. And it is also a shame for Nibali cos everyone will say: "he onle won cos they abandoned"

Hah! After what he is showing this TdF only the extreme fanboys deny his worthiness. Attacking on every terrain... that's just truly aggresive riding.

Nibali (and Contador!) are just spicing up the otherwise boring GT's by being aggresive instead of those overcooked trains over the mountains.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Franklin said:
Hah! After what he is showing this TdF only the extreme fanboys deny his worthiness. Attacking on every terrain... that's just truly aggresive riding.

Nibali (and Contador!) are just spicing up the otherwise boring GT's by being aggresive instead of those overcooked trains over the mountains.

lol Froome attacks more than you're boy Nibali. People automatically think Sky are Wiggo style of riding. Froome has attacked more than anyone in last few years that is not being biast we have watched it with our own eyes.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
TANK91 said:
lol Froome attacks more than you're boy Nibali. People automatically think Sky are Wiggo style of riding. Froome has attacked more than anyone in last few years that is not being biast we have watched it with our own eyes.
i do understand your Froome worshipness but, to be frank it is a bit stupid.

Last year tha Froomster attacked four times, two were succesfull, two werent. So far the nibblemaster has attacked three times, and, three times succesfull.

Three for three, how about that?

Not bad for a non - Brit Tank91.

Nibali is the greatest rider of his generation. Deal with it.:eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:

Only (for the most part) on certain parcours, namely, MTF's. Call me when Froome attacks on a descent, or flat, or short steep hills, or from very far out across multiple mountains, or even on...cobbles. :D

Nibali, he's a rider that can attack and does attack on any parcours. We've seen him attack on descent, MTF's, cobbles, and more. Plus he's not as dominate as Froome, so I think if we looked at all his attacks of recent he would be the one that would come out with more attacks then Froome.

For example, he attacked again and again and again on Angliru at the Vuelta last year. I don't think I've ever seen Froome forced to continuously attack like Nibali did that stage.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
TANK91 said:

Stefano Pirazzi.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

:rolleyes:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Last year tha Froomster attacked four times, two were succesfull, two werent. So far the nibblemaster has attacked three times, and, three times succesfull.

You don't make any sense.
Firstly, Froome had Quintana and a top shape Rodriguez to respond and counter his attacks. We're not talking about Pinot, Bardet or a weak Valverde here. There's no possible comparison.
And anyway, as much as I don't like the guy, Froome 2013 was a class and more above Nibali in this TDF.

As for your second joke, Contador and Cancellara are the best of this generation. Contador being one of the best stage racer in history, and Cancellara the best flandrian and TT'er for a long time.

I've learned from the history of the sport that the wheel of fortune turns round incessantly, it'll eventually take its toll on Nibali, be patient. He's been the luckiest TDF rider in the last... 20 years? I've never seen a TDF favourite alone with all of his main rivals gone, never ever.

No he isn't. Contador has a proven record far superior than him plus just look at Nibali's last 2 GT's. Giro last year was an poor field and this year's Tour is not much better with Contador, Froome and Quintana all not there. Fair play to the guy for winning the Giro and probably this years Tour, but its a bit like having a tap in from 6 yards on the football pitch.

i do understand your Froome worshipness but, to be frank it is a bit stupid.

Three for three, how about that?

Not bad for a non - Brit Tank91.

Here's Nibali the greatest rider of his generation :rolleyes: compared to AC (where does he stand in your scale?)

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?c=7&id=137456&CompareToId=140778

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Nah, one's career is spiraling downward after the ban, the other's career is soaring upward. See what is going to happen in the next two years.

I can assure you, this will be the first and last TDF win for Nibali 's career.
Such a perfect situation will never happen twice.
Contador is superior to Nibali, and he has always been, he can still reach his top form for the next 3 years for sure.
However, something tells me Nibali won't go at next year's Tour, Contador, Froome and Quintana will be a bit too much for him to handle. He won't be able to puff his chest like he is doing right now against Pinot, Bardet and Valverde.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
I can assure you, this will be the first and last TDF win for Nibali 's career.
Such a perfect situation will never happen twice.
Contador is superior to Nibali, and he has always been, he can still reach his top form for the next 3 years for sure.
However, something tells me Nibali won't go at next year's Tour, Contador, Froome and Quintana will be a bit too much for him to handle. He won't be able to puff his chest like he is doing right now against Pinot, Bardet and Valverde.

I wouldn't blame him if he went for the Giro again, it is his home GT.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Nah, one's career is spiraling downward after the ban, the other's career is soaring upward. See what is going to happen in the next two years.

-First in UCI WorldTour rankings
-1st T-A + 2 stages
-1st VaPV + 1 stage
-2nd V. Algarve + 1 stage
-2nd VaC
-2nd CdD

maxmartin said:
spiraling downward

Certainly better than last year, which would mean he is improving, yea?

As for Nibali's "soaring upward", I agree. His palmares are looking pretty ****ing good in 9 days.

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Sciocco said:
-First in UCI WorldTour rankings
-1st T-A + 2 stages
-1st VaPV + 1 stage
-2nd V. Algarve + 1 stage
-2nd VaC
-2nd CdD

Certainly better than last year, which would mean he is improving, yea?

As for Nibali's "soaring upward", I agree. His palmares are looking pretty ****ing good in 9 days.

Nibali wanted only TDF, nothing else for this year. And he did a lot of training to achieve his objective against all his opponents, especially Contador and Froome.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
I know, but it was a funny read wasnt it?

I didnt understand the 'discussion', how can one say a possible Nibali victory is a tainted one because the Dawgue and Velasco have crashed out?

It is just silly.

Just like my posts ;)

BlurryVII said:
Firstly, Froome had Quintana and a top shape Rodriguez to respond and counter his attacks. We're not talking about Pinot, Bardet or a weak Valverde here. There's no possible comparison.
And anyway, as much as I don't like the guy, Froome 2013 was a class and more above Nibali in this TDF.

As for your second joke, Contador and Cancellara are the best of this generation. Contador being one of the best stage racer in history, and Cancellara the best flandrian and TT'er for a long time.

I've learned from the history of the sport that the wheel of fortune turns round incessantly, it'll eventually take its toll on Nibali, be patient. He's been the luckiest TDF rider in the last... 20 years? I've never seen a TDF favourite alone with all of his main rivals gone, never ever.

:rolleyes:

1) Cancellara isn't even the best cobblestone rider in this generation...

2) Cancallara is/was an awesome prologue rider. In the ten years he has been great as a prologue rider, he has only managed to win 1 long TT in the Tour, where he was lucky that the wind changed for Menchov.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The way I see it we currently have 4 top quality GC contenders: Nibali, Froome, AC and Quintana. I just hope we get to have enough events in the next two years where those guys go head to head. Hopefully starting at this year's Vuelta.

I thought after Contador stacked:

"Disaster, tour is over."

Then I left 10% margin for error:

"Maybe Porte or Valverde will be on fire, should at least wait until the first mountain."

Barely made it past one hairpin before Porte blew. I mean jeez, could have at least kept us thinking for a day or two....but nope....barely a hairpin.

And Valverde knew he was racing for second from the moment Nibs took off.

What a dud tour.

Hugo Koblet said:
Contador crashing out definitely was a disaster for the entertainment level of the Tour. However, I'm starting to doubt if Contador was actually able to beat Nibali. Though of course that would only have made the Tour even more entertaining.

Yeah, with the +2mins advantage, I agree that he'd struggle to take it all back.

But it would have been an absolute battle royale. It hurts to be denied this.

Hugo Koblet said:
Contador crashing out definitely was a disaster for the entertainment level of the Tour. However, I'm starting to doubt if Contador was actually able to beat Nibali. Though of course that would only have made the Tour even more entertaining.
After watching today the second rated climbers looking at each other, Contador would have made him work for it. This is the worst competition that I have seen. This is embarrassing. So Nibali is a Worthy winner, but even him don't believe how bad the other riders are.

LOL. And people were saying that the competition in the Giro was bad. This is the worst. Even Majka is teaching them a lesson coming from the Giro. Kelderman at the Dauphine was doing likewise.

TRENDING THREADS