• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador is not being supported by Astana

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lance's attitude seems a fair bit different too, when was the last time we saw him race so much? He seems a bit more wait and see how I go and enjoy racing rather than specific training as in the past. Never seen him on the front pulling before like in the TDU and TOC. In my opinion he seems like he wants to help Alberto win to repay all the help he had, and that will give him great satisfaction.

Argon Man said:
Lance's attitude seems a fair bit different too, when was the last time we saw him race so much? He seems a bit more wait and see how I go and enjoy racing rather than specific training as in the past. Never seen him on the front pulling before like in the TDU and TOC. In my opinion he seems like he wants to help Alberto win to repay all the help he had, and that will give him great satisfaction.

You've probably never seen him with all that upper body muscle either. He's currently built more for the northern classics than the grand tours. That pulling on the front is him testing his legs and probably playing to the American audiences while at ToC and riding for LL so that LL will return the favor later on as if there was any doubt.

Where were Astana?

Well there you go! Contador was hung out to dry today. I wonder what will or wont be said in the team bus after that performance by the Astana team today. They did not have the fire power in the team to support Contador in this race. It's going to be a facinating season to see how this all plays out post Giro into the Tour. Fascinating.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Contador's not part of the "club"

The Astana "club" = Armstrong and Bruyneel.
Contador and the rest are merely means to an end.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Contador is still the hottest property in cycling.

Would Bruyneel want to annoy him and see him join a big budget team like Caisse d'Epargne, Rabobank, Katusha or Quick-Step?

Armstrong is a media phenomenon but his comeback will be short lived. And having both Armstrong and Contador on the same team should not pose a problem to anyone.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Valverde would let him come to Caisse, and I think Quickstep are investing in Stijn Devolder for future Grand Tour success. I think Katusha is the most likely.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
Having Contador join Caisse would be a dream come true for me. I was hoping this would come to pass in the offseason when Armstrong announced his return.

he should leave for caisse d'espargne. he should definitely leave astana. today even popovych showed that he's not that interested in helping contador. they are all interested to be next to armstrong and have some of his glory. there is going to be a nice battle between riders to join armstrong in giro d'italia.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I don't think Valverde would let him come to Caisse, and I think Quickstep are investing in Stijn Devolder for future Grand Tour success. I think Katusha is the most likely.

but valverde is on the verge of a doping scandal, having 'valv' written in some notes taken during operacion puerto. you never know if he's not going to be banned.

However, I think Valverde has demonstrated that he will most likely never win a Grand Tour. He is more suited for the classics and smaller stage races. In any case, I can only dream.. Seeing Contador and Valverde in the same team would be awesome.

A

Anonymous

BambinoDoro said:
just of the twitter of Lance:

"Unfortunate day for Alberto. Amazing talent but still a lot to learn."

...oh and the lessons Lance has to teach......I'll bet they only sting for the second it takes for the needle to go in....

Man Alberto is going to go ballistic when Lance attacks him in the tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Merckx said:
Having Contador join Caisse would be a dream come true for me. I was hoping this would come to pass in the offseason when Armstrong announced his return.

+1 I agree, he would have been a great addition to the team, which is more spanish then french in any case. Together with Valverde, and Pereiro, they would have been a tough team to beat in stage races as well as the Ardennes Classics.

I thought that it was rumoured that his agent contacted a number of teams, including Rabobank and Caisse, to see if they were interesting in hiring him, when Armstrong announced his return. Buying off the ongoing contract must have been to expensive.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BambinoDoro said:

So what is it exactly that he still has to learn? Not bonking in the descent, when he is isolated and has to chase the #2 in the GC all by himself (wasn't tha LA chasing Pantani and bonking?)? Offering Voigt and Schleck money and/or the stage win in order to help him out? Not attacking the day before to become the race leader again?

I thought Bruyneel was the tactical mastermind behind Armstrong, so clearly Bruyneel gave the wrong instructions... Or, and that's probably the most likely explanation, he, nor his team, were good enough and LL Sanchez was in top form. He is excellent in descents and had been preserving his energy throughout the stage race, while not losing any time.

Great day for Caisse D'Epargne =)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
BambinoDoro said:

Won the last 3 Grand Tours he's ridden....god help the peleton when he knows what he's doing.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
After today's stage Contador said "The race was very fast, and I forgot to eat and drink enough". Coming on the heels of getting caught napping in Stage 3, I would say yes, he has a lot to learn. Not the kind of mistakes a team leader should be making.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
this vill never happen in a GT, he gonna get good suport from his team and then he dont bonk.

and its true, armstron did Bonk after he chasing pantni.

So many threads, all about the same thing. I think the Paceline forum has been raised from the dead......

I'll bet he's getting an education at the team hotel, as we type:
"....and just how many water bottles can you carry at the Tour, Alberto?"

Just cast your minds back to all those "right noises" we heard from the PR machine a few months back.
Only one person has been calling the shots around the Astana camp, since Autumn....

TRENDING THREADS