• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador leaving Astana

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Giving an Ultimatum to Le Tour Winner, specially if that guy is AC??? That doesn't sound pretty smart...

if you are taking with you 8 people, there needs to be time found to replace them with equivalent riders and staff. given astana's experience with bruyneel, they imo are justified to expect an answer after the support they provided.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If the report is accurate and he signs with Riis, and Cancellara stays on with Riss, I hope the next few TdF's don't include a TTT or a cobble classic stage! This would destroy anybody's chances of beating AC.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Brajkovi&#269 said:
How many astana riders will follow Contador to Riis?

Benjamin Noval?
Daniel Navarro?
David de la Fuente?
Noval and Navarro are definite according to an interview they gave when they returned to Spain. The other rumors included Jesus Hernandez and DDLF.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lajeretta4Ever said:
If the report is accurate and he signs with Riis, and Cancellara stays on with Riss, I hope the next few TdF's don't include a TTT or a cobble classic stage! This would destroy anybody's chances of beating AC.

already been announced there will be a TTT next year.

If I was AC I would take Tirolongo too, he did a lot of good work at the tour.

Only question now is, should I get a new Astana jersy from this season or wait and get an AC one when he moves

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
python said:
if you are taking with you 8 people, there needs to be time found to replace them with equivalent riders and staff. given astana's experience with bruyneel, they imo are justified to expect an answer after the support they provided.

But AC was almost going to sign with them for another 2 years, Fran and Alberto said it several times, that he was pretty comfortable and happy with the team and the sponsor... AC is not the guy who likes the ultimatums... that's why I said that that move was not pretty smart...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd seen the bit about the radio not working in the Spanish press, because he had the same problem for one of the Spring TT's. I remember he was waiting to get counted to the start, he put his hand to his ear, and he looked at the car and shook his head.

However, Cycling Weekly has ascertained from sources close to Contador that the split is definitive and he will be heading for another team in 2010.

The reasons behind the move are a mixture. Contador's tumultuous end of season problems with Astana last year are one possible factor. Another is a major disagreement over a deadline the Kazakhs set for Contador over deciding whether he stay or go which has now passed.

There are rumours that Contador did not feel the pay increase they offered was enough. And finally in the latter part of the Tour, Contador apparently did not receive any time references during the final time trial because his race radio did not work, and the team's inefficiency almost cost him the yellow jersey.

His next stop could be Bjarne Riis's new team although Contador is insisting on taking four Astana riders with him: Benjamin Noval, David de La Fuente, Jesus Hernandez and Dani Navarro. Rather than prolongue the decision over a team until the late autumn, as happened last year, Contador expects to have signed a new deal within the next month.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/493284/contador-to-leave-astana-definitive.html

Ryaguas said:
But AC was almost going to sign with them for another 2 years, Fran and Alberto said it several times, that he was pretty comfortable and happy with the team and the sponsor... AC is not the guy who likes the ultimatums... that's why I said that that move was not pretty smart...
Honestly, all that talk about how he was about to sign sounded to me as a way to make sure there were no shenanigans 2009 style during the Tour. I'd say Astana knew what was going on and asked Contador to make things clear so they can plan next season properly.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
i agree an ultimatum would sound like an affront to a proud champion contador certainly is. but from the press-release it sounds like they were talking about a 'dead line' which was extended exactly in accordance with berto's wishes.

to me it seems they are concerned with the same issues they faced with bruyneel - losing too many people at once - though it does not seem as drastic.

Another consideration that may be moving astana's impatience is probably budget restrictions and perhaps they have someone in mind as a replacement.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Specialized wanted him to go Quick Step last years but Quick Step failed to find 2nd sponsor. After Riis announced Sunguard, Contador has rumors with Riis. Specialized must have done most of the job.

I'm surprised to learn about this news:confused:I though he had a good season & plenty of support from the team to make him comfortable enough to stay-but apparently-he's becoming very demanding & and perhaps- a bit greedy? anyhow- I'm just wondering how the "Anglo-Saxon philosophy" of Riis & his "always-in-financial-problems" would blend with the Spanish armada of Contador at all......
I foresee Alberto looking for a new team next year...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Quel surpise

No big revelation here.

I would suggest that there may even be a tie up with Banco Santader as well as Sunguard due to Contadors strong relationship with Fernando Alonso who has long held ambitions for entering a cycling team into the pro tour ranks and this may be a good segue for Contador to coincide with his clear links to Specialized.

Contadors brother has always done his bidding and is well renowned around the peloton as the mouthpiece for his brothers ambitions. Nobody ever talks about how ruthless Contador is when it comes to money. Its always his brother. Good PR work on his agents behalf.

Riise has been desperate to find another big name and with his reputation he should notworry. very few people know pro cycling better than Bjarne Riise.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
VeloEcosse said:
No big revelation here.

I would suggest that there may even be a tie up with Banco Santader as well as Sunguard due to Contadors strong relationship with Fernando Alonso who has long held ambitions for entering a cycling team into the pro tour ranks and this may be a good segue for Contador to coincide with his clear links to Specialized.

Contadors brother has always done his bidding and is well renowned around the peloton as the mouthpiece for his brothers ambitions. Nobody ever talks about how ruthless Contador is when it comes to money. Its always his brother. Good PR work on his agents behalf.

Riise has been desperate to find another big name and with his reputation he should notworry. very few people know pro cycling better than Bjarne Riise.

banco santander takes over caisse, it has nothing to do with riis. it comes as a surprise to me also and I don't like it. Riis is always in financial problems

TRENDING THREADS