• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador national TT champion: did they give it to him?

According to the latest news , Contador beat Sanchez at the TT nationals earlier. I am sure the time stands for themselves : 1 04 40 for 47.8 kilometer I don't think it was a gift for showing up. Is that sending a message for July 4th or what?

Dedelou said:
According to the latest news , Contador beat Sanchez at the TT nationals earlier. I am sure the time stands for themselves : 1 04 40 for 47.8 kilometer I don't think it was a gift for showing up. Is that sending a message for July 4th or what?

What was the profile of the course like? How much climbing was required?

What will Lance do?

Lance might be confident about beating Evans and Sastre, but the guy he probably can't beat is on his team.

Even in his heyday, when he beat Ulrich, Ulrich often would show up fat and not ready. Contador is clearly ready.

By working together, they might be able to finish 1-2.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Even in his heyday, when he beat Ulrich, Ulrich often would show up fat and not ready. Contador is clearly ready.

The amount of ridiculous myths floating around is insane :\

2006-06-30-xxl--20060630085359_CYCLING_TOUR_DE_FRANCE_FRA105.jpg

This is Jan on the eve of the prologue. Fat, eh? ;)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

2006-06-30-xxl--20060630085359_CYCLING_TOUR_DE_FRANCE_FRA105.jpg

This is Jan on the eve of the prologue. Fat, eh?

that's ONE year. not every year. :rolleyes:

plus he does seem to have a bit of a stomach no matter how skinny his arms are. and fu*k me aren't they skinny :eek::eek:

workingclasshero said:

plus he does seem to have a bit of a stomach no matter how skinny his arms are. and fu*k me aren't they skinny :eek::eek:

Ullrich always came to the TdF at a good weight. Every year. During April or May he would sometimes have to lose quite a bit of weight. I have read figures as high as six or seven kilos, but that seems a bit high if it were as late as May.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
still one can't use one pic as proof that he was skinny every year

I think he is just making a point.

Man pro cycling is not the sport for anyone looking to pick up chicks on the beach. Remember that infamous rasmussen photo?

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
I think he is just making a point.

Man pro cycling is not the sport for anyone looking to pick up chicks on the beach. Remember that infamous rasmussen photo?

I think that rasmussen pic was one of the scariest pics I have seen of a rider except maybe some of those pics of the mullets of the early 80's (Gert Jan Thurnisse, Robert Millar )

May 26, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:

This is Jan on the eve of the prologue. Fat, eh? ;)

God I love it when once in awhile people actually stick to facts instead of parroting drivel.

I met Jan twice... people calling him fat would be shocked.. me and the others who met him said afterwards "I wish I could give the poor guy a sandwich".

Lance generally won because he was better. (yes yes, jacked and all that, but in the end.. he was better)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
neil69cyclist said:
I think that rasmussen pic was one of the scariest pics I have seen of a rider except maybe some of those pics of the mullets of the early 80's (Gert Jan Thurnisse, Robert Millar )

I was also pretty shocked by one of the pictures of Ricco getting dressed. Also good for a hooror show was Erik Dekker eating a cake in the VIP tent during the resting day. Concentration camp victim is my first thought when I look at those pictures :(

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
some tours jan was a little tubby but he was really overweight in the 2004. on the tdf coverage commentators commented that Jan had lost 5 kilos in 1 month. that can't be good for the body especially in a sport like cycling. back on topic really time trialling isn't spanish cyclings strong point. yes contsdor is a good time trialists but surely in other countries tt champs the result may have been different. who else can really time trial for spain that well? Can anyone tell me if Igor Anton is riding the tour because he is a real prospect for the future.

Franklin said:
I was also pretty shocked by one of the pictures of Ricco getting dressed. Also good for a hooror show was Erik Dekker eating a cake in the VIP tent during the resting day. Concentration camp victim is my first thought when I look at those pictures :(

Some of the early season pics from this year of Contador show him to be freaky thin. I did not see any topless shots, but even in a jersey he looked like a dying anorexic.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
result was expected, I'm glad sanchez was close, its always nice to have another contender in the mix.
As for Ullrich, I don't think he ever turned up to the tour overwieght. Once he was heavier, but it was muscle. The problem was he stayed overweight too long and then had to drop it fast near july. I suspect this means that he couldn't complete quality training sessions as he would be undernourished, hence his performance suffered.
Pro cyclists do not have bodies that are aesthetically pleasing. Big legs, pale anoerexic torsos...opposite of desirable

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:

thanks for the information! :p btw i don't think birds are that bothered about looks really as long as you've got the money, power and fast cars. so contador should be good to go

aye remember that photo, my first thought was they'd got it wrong and put the pic of some cancer pasient in his place :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:

*exasperated sigh*

Okay, let's go with that, then: it's one year. just one. It's also the year of his worst tour result. Explain that one.

But hey, don't let facts stand in the way of believing in random myths. Jan was a meatball, a huge fat meatball, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. etc etc. ;)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
*exasperated sigh*

Okay, let's go with that, then: it's one year. just one. It's also the year of his worst tour result. Explain that one.

But hey, don't let facts stand in the way of believing in random myths. Jan was a meatball, a huge fat meatball, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. etc etc. ;)

ffs try reading my posts :rolleyes: just saying it is a bit silly putting one photo up and saying that's what he looked like every time. he very well might have, but that one photo does not fuking prove that. btw "the" prologue?? the only one he ever rode then genius?

but hey, don't let my actual words stand in the way of a random rant

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Pro cyclists do not have bodies that are aesthetically pleasing. Big legs, pale anoerexic torsos...opposite of desirable

I remember a race in Majorca that finished on the sea front and after a load of us headed to the beach to have a swim in the sea, we put on shorts (short running style ones) and wandered onto the beach and the looks we got from the other people was amazing it was a look of disgust !! I looked at myself in the mirror later and realised why.

Deep tanned arms from jersey sleeve down, deep tanned faces and neck, deep tanned legs from cycling shorts down, pasty white bodies everywhere else, no hair on legs ( and I have a hairy chest !!!) we looked lie aliens !!!

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Dedelou said:

Certainly very very tuned up for that TT...But he'll be even more so for the opening TDF stage.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
God I love it when once in awhile people actually stick to facts instead of parroting drivel.

I met Jan twice... people calling him fat would be shocked.. me and the others who met him said afterwards "I wish I could give the poor guy a sandwich".

Lance generally won because he was better. (yes yes, jacked and all that, but in the end.. he was better)

You look a lot bigger on Camera. Thats for certain...

TRENDING THREADS