• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador out of TDF?

I have been seeing posts on here and other forums he is not racing the TDF. Has this been confirmed? I have not seen an article saying anything past the verdict will be in before the July 2nd TDF start.

A

Anonymous

I havnt seen anyone say hes out.

Though it can be seen that he is riding the giro just in case he doesnt get to ride the tour.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Honestly considering the giro anyone really going for it In Italy has no business at the tour in July. Ac is no exception. All things considering he might wanna keep a low profile ;)

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
md1975 said:
I have been seeing posts on here and other forums he is not racing the TDF. Has this been confirmed? I have not seen an article saying anything past the verdict will be in before the July 2nd TDF start.

Contador's CAS decision will be rendered before the Tour de France and he will be given a 2-year suspension. So, no, he will not race the Tour de France and his win in last year's Tour will be nullified.

Andy Schleck will win his second Tour de France this year.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Contador's CAS decision will be rendered before the Tour de France and he will be given a 2-year suspension. So, no, he will not race the Tour de France and his win in last year's Tour will be nullified.

Andy Schleck will win his second Tour de France this year.

Please let me loan your crystal ball...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Contador has said all along that he's not looking past the Giro, as it's his first big goal of the year. In a publicity trip to meet with Saxo Bank employees last week, he said he was interested in riding the Time Trial at Worlds in Copenhagen.
http://sporten.tv2.dk/cykling/article.php/id-39254041:contador-vil-køre-vmenkeltstart.html

I've read a lot of his interviews, and he tends to say what he means. Some friends have suggested it was just something to say while doing PR in Copenhagen.

So would he attempt a Giro-Tour double in a very stressful year, then maintain form so he could race for a day a couple of months later? Or should he win the Giro, take a vacation, then build up for the Vuelta and Worlds?

On the other hand, Nick Nuyens just said recently that Riis has been talking to him about riding the Tour and working for Contador on the flat stages.

http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/txtzfiche.php?berid=13401

Personally, I'm not looking post the Giro either. The guy was under a ton of off-season stress (even more than the usual Lance unretires, Astana might not get a license type of thing), so after a really brutal corsa rosa, I would think he'd recover a couple of weeks and let his body tell him if he can be competitive at the TdF.

theswordsman said:
Contador has said all along that he's not looking past the Giro, as it's his first big goal of the year. In a publicity trip to meet with Saxo Bank employees last week, he said he was interested in riding the Time Trial at Worlds in Copenhagen.
http://sporten.tv2.dk/cykling/article.php/id-39254041:contador-vil-køre-vmenkeltstart.html

I've read a lot of his interviews, and he tends to say what he means.

Def my take as well!

theswordsman said:
The guy was under a ton of off-season stress (even more than the usual Lance unretires, Astana might not get a license type of thing), so after a really brutal corsa rosa, I would think he'd recover a couple of weeks and let his body tell him if he can be competitive at the TdF.

For some reason he seems to thrive in a headwind - I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to do it just because of that.

Also - Moose, I'm on your boat!

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you have another seat free Moose. There was someone who posted "as Contador will not be doing the TDF, who might win" I have absolutely no idea what prompted this comment. I am with you.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread or if this is discussed somewhere else, I am happy to read it ithere but here is the question ...

Does it really take this long for UCI to get to a verdict on if Conta can race or not?

Really... with all the high prized lawyers, is this just one more journalistic event to increase the hype ?

I might just be the dumb idiot that just don't get it why it takes this long to come up with a resolution

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I think Contador will be cleared and will win both the Giro and the Tour this year.

But hey, it's just my guess.

He's already been cleared. But he"ll be condemned again before the Tour. Thus making most of your prediction incorrect. We need to start betting on this.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
He's already been cleared. But he"ll be condemned again before the Tour. Thus making most of your prediction incorrect. We need to start betting on this.

I'll put a Rebellin avatar on for 2 weeks if he doesn't ride the Tour :p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
He will still ride the TDF and will do the double this year...Giro/Tdf...

blah.
I just don't get it. We have seen so many guys fail after doing the giro (Menchov 09, Basso 10 etc), it is clear the giro is just too demanding, without some massive [clinic input] help, it shouldn't be possible. This year the giro and tour double is harder then other years considering the courses.

Even if he does race he wont win. I am happy to risk a rebellin avatar for this.
If he does win, well for me cycling loses even more credibility (as if that is possible).

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
blah.
I just don't get it. We have seen so many guys fail after doing the giro (Menchov 09, Basso 10 etc), it is clear the giro is just too demanding, without some massive [clinic input] help, it shouldn't be possible. This year the giro and tour double is harder then other years considering the courses.

Even if he does race he wont win. I am happy to risk a rebellin avatar for this.
If he does win, well for me cycling loses even more credibility (as if that is possible).

Fair point Timmy...But i think Contador is in a different league to Menchov/Basso.So i still hope to see a rider winning all three Gts in the same calender year.And if anyone could do it CONTADOR is the man.But with the Giro being so dam tough?i will wait and see.
Question?If Contador doesnt ride do you think A.Schleck will dominate?or will Gesink step up and Podium/Win?

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
blah.

Menchov top 5 ed both in 2008 and it could be argued that Contador is sufficiently better than Menchov that the same effort gets him 1st in both. Also while Menchov usualy takes a while to peak and does little outside gts contador is known to hold form for long periods of time. Hes on form whenever he feels like it pretty much.

The course is hard but then maybe Evans really was on his way to a very good Tour when he crashed. Stephen Roche spent the whole Tour up to that point saying that Evans had chosen the correct path to recover almost fully from the Giro by the TDF - The same path Roche had chosen. Apparently its to lock yourself away at Altitude, do not even touch a bike, forget about cycling, dont do any of the warmup races, then start cycling like a week before, go to the tour and hope to peak for the 3rd week.

Its not like Contador should lose too much time in the first week if hes not on form. He can afford to rest for 3 of the 4 weeks after the Giro and be weak for the next 3 weeks, meaning a 6 week gap between peaks.

TRENDING THREADS