• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Passes on Spanish TT Championship

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
<puts on tinfoil hat> If AC's "flu" is related to doping then what is KK's "heart attack"? I'm sure KK is just trying to stall the vampires with this induced coma crap. It's a creative new variation on LA's 20 minute shower. </tinfoil hat off>

The Hitch said:
Also since spain is without a doubt the best producer of cyclists at the moment (for class, not for frequency - Italy) does anyone know who he faced last year for the tt and who he would be facing this year. maybe sammu or lls are turning up this year and hes decided its not worth putting in the effort against them.
1. Contador (Astana) 1:04:40
2. LL Sánchez (Caisse) +36
3. Plaza (Liberty) +1:04
4. Mancebo (haha) (Rock Racing) +1:46
5. Iván Gutiérrez (Caisse) +1:50

So I don't see the field getting much tougher than that, only Samu was missing but I don't know if he'll ride this year.

FKLance said:
Oh come on! :D

Are we going to have a thread on every rider who gets sick?

unfortunately, yes.

such is the state of cycling.

it is the first thing that struck my mind actually.

how do you get "a bit" of flu? Either you have the flu (and are usually bedridden -- not training in the mountains with teammates) or you don't.

please note that major contenders missing national championships before the tour has only been common since the advent of blood doping and epo testing. before that -- it was traditional, required and absolutely expected that every rider compete in their national championship. tour contenders started begging off their national championships (often complaining of some mild illness) only in the last 15-20 years.

Josep Jufré, one of the best climbers at Astana, followed in detail Alberto Contador’s progress at the Dauphiné, where he finished 2nd behind Jani Brajkovic. The results, as much as the details that he has seen in the leader of his team, leave little doubt:

“He’d be really worried if he'd gotten a spectacular win. Even Armstrong himself knows from experience that the Tour becomes very long to whomever wins the Dauphiné. In fact, since 2003 no one else has done the double.”

Contador went to the Dauphiné saying that “I’ve still got to work on some details,” among them the individual time trial, a discipline that he hasn’t been too satisfied with. Jufré is aware of the meticulousness and the rigor of the man from Pinto. For that reason, he confirms that “everything that he did in the Dauphiné was according to plan. His preparation for the Tour is fine. He didn’t have to put on an exhibition and he was always clear. He won the Alpe d’Huez, which was an excellent scenario for a test, but without a big show. Sincerely, he would not be comfortable if he had won the Dauphiné.

“Alberto knows that it’s very easy to get burnt by this race before reaching form. At three weeks before the start of the Tour – another week still before the completely taxing competition begins – to ride hard for the GC at the Dauphiné would have meant an unacceptable risk.

"That’s why Denis Menchov, who’s gone without notice in the past, hasn’t had the least problem with assuring people that his preparation is on the right path. That’s also why a lot of riders have chosen the Tour de Suisse as final preparation since it leaves them closer to the checkered flag at the Tour de France.”

Jufré considers that, for Contador, the value of the Dauphiné has been “his capacity for team-building, for motivating them and unifying them until they reach a high level. They’ve all been where they need to be. He has rounded up a group of climbers who have risen to the challenge at the critical points.

“Dani Navarro’s victory has been significant and without doubt has contributed to strengthening the morale of the whole group, but what has surprised me most has been the leap in quality by Jesús Hernández, who's been with Alberto every second. De la Fuente and Tiralongo have also been true to form.”

Jufré stressed Contador’s ambition: “He always wants to win. If it were up to him he would always be on the podium. That’s why it cost him to ride the way he did in the Dauphiné. Saying from the beginning that victory isn’t his goal is a way of restraining himself.”

Big Doopie said:
how do you get "a bit" of flu? Either you have the flu (and are usually bedridden -- not training in the mountains with teammates) or you don't.

I'm not sure anyone else actually read the rest of the article. First part:

Contador has hoped to defend the title and wear his national colours at next month’s Tour de France, but he’s been suffering from flu symptoms since Saturday.

Middle paragraph:

Contador is training with Astana team-mates Paolo Tiralongo, Dani Navarro, David de la Fuente, Jesús Hernández, Benjamin Noval and Oscar Pereiro in Sierra de Madrid this week. The week-long camp will help the Kazakh-backed squad decide its final roster for the Tour de France, which commences at the end of next week.

He has the flu, so he can't do the 1 hour TT. But he can train for the next 5 days in the mountains?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
please note that major contenders missing national championships before the tour has only been common since the advent of blood doping and epo testing. before that -- it was traditional, required and absolutely expected that every rider compete in their national championship. tour contenders started begging off their national championships (often complaining of some mild illness) only in the last 15-20 years.

I'd say it was in the early 00's that this trend began

I can remember even as recently as the late 90's it was not uncommon to see GC riders in their countries champion jersey.

Back then all you had to do was stay under 50% Hct in the test, so you didn't have to disappear to drain blood and hide from the testers.

Since transfusions reemerged this timely disappearance has become normal.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Tom T. said:
<puts on tinfoil hat> If AC's "flu" is related to doping then what is KK's "heart attack"? I'm sure KK is just trying to stall the vampires with this induced coma crap. It's a creative new variation on LA's 20 minute shower. </tinfoil hat off>

This forum is just about completely mental.

Evidenced by this being placed in the clinic. Can we just put all pro racing threads in the clinic from here on out??? :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
This forum is just about completely mental.

Evidenced by this being placed in the clinic. Can we just put all pro racing threads in the clinic from here on out??? :rolleyes:

I hope you realize I was not being serious. Actually, I was making the same point as you.

Honestly, if he doesn't have the flu and it's an excuse I'd say it's more likely that he just doesn't feel like riding a hard TT for a title that isn't even that prestigious around here. After all, he rode last year, and his preparation for the Tour in the Clinic-related front couldn't have been that different this year, right?

edit: Also, if he's not lying, chances are it's not the flu but rather a cold with a fever. We're not very specific when making that distinction.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Tom T. said:
I hope you realize I was not being serious. Actually, I was making the same point as you.

Lately around here, the serious loonies and the sarcastic people who aren't nuts are starting to blend into one. Honestly, I couldn't tell until you outed yourself.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Honestly, if he doesn't have the flu and it's an excuse I'd say it's more likely that he just doesn't feel like riding a hard TT for a title that isn't even that prestigious around here. After all, he rode last year, and his preparation for the Tour in the Clinic-related front couldn't have been that different this year, right?

That was my thought too, he wants to do the patriotic thing, but right now he has bigger fish to fry. So he came up with a convenient reason to skip it and keep the Spanish fans happy.

Is there a reason why this is in the clinic (and other racing threads aren't)?

PS If it is actually the flu, depending on severity, that could jeopardize anyone's tour.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
my favorite part of this is that the ever-vigilant moderators of this board shut down the kirchen threads due to "baseless speculation," but the clinic thread about contador's cold as a front for doping is A-O-K.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I presume he still rides the Spanish National championships.

and Im not sure a TT is great preperation for a tour, thrashing yourself and then coming second or possibly first so i dont read anything into it particularly.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
wattage said:
...3-5% fat might be little too low, more likely at 6-7 .....

Rumor has it that Novitzky is opening an investigation into a mysterious liposuction clinic on an unnamed island.

McQuaid says sudden decrease in % body fat is obviously a result of a "personalized" training regime and is completely normal and UCI knows nothing about liposuction.

Spanish press report that Contador has ties to a company that makes switches for liposuction machines - his aunt's neighbor's second cousin works at the plant.

Willy_Voet said:
I'm not sure anyone else actually read the rest of the article. First part:

Contador has hoped to defend the title and wear his national colours at next month’s Tour de France, but he’s been suffering from flu symptoms since Saturday.

Middle paragraph:

Contador is training with Astana team-mates Paolo Tiralongo, Dani Navarro, David de la Fuente, Jesús Hernández, Benjamin Noval and Oscar Pereiro in Sierra de Madrid this week. The week-long camp will help the Kazakh-backed squad decide its final roster for the Tour de France, which commences at the end of next week.

He has the flu, so he can't do the 1 hour TT. But he can train for the next 5 days in the mountains?

I also recall, but haven't been able to find, a quote from Martinelli or Sanquer just after the Dauphine saying that he isn't riding the Spanish TT. So this is all probably a bit of bs to save face in Spain, cover up doping, avoid the vampires (though he's told the world where he is for the next five days) or he really got a sick and lost a couple of days in the mountains and thinks it's more beneficial to get those days in rather than defend his TT title. There is something for everyone it seems. :p

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I also recall, but haven't been able to find, a quote from Martinelli or Sanquer just after the Dauphine saying that he isn't riding the Spanish TT. So this is all probably a bit of bs to save face in Spain, cover up doping, avoid the vampires (though he's told the world where he is for the next five days) or he really got a sick and lost a couple of days in the mountains and thinks it's more beneficial to get those days in rather than defend his TT title. There is something for everyone it seems. :p

The Alberto Contador rorschach test. He is the replacement for LA rorschach test. Please update your 3 ring binders. There is a 3 hole punch going around.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
alberto.legstrong said:
Lately around here, the serious loonies and the sarcastic people who aren't nuts are starting to blend into one. Honestly, I couldn't tell until you outed yourself.

The "<puts on tinfoil hat>" and "</tinfoil hat off>" should have tipped you off.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
ttrider said:
people are so dilusional thinking that having flu is some kind of code for doping!
What the hell?! I take it when your ill and miss a cycling race your wife doesnt get suspicous of you transfusing yourself

So stupid its beyond belief! he has a bit of flu get over it!

According to Willy Voet:
It was for this reason that in 1996 some French and Swiss riders did not compete in their national championships. Right then, they were in the middle of their Clenbuterol courses, and the only disastrous effects would have been those felt at the drug tests during the championships. The official reason given was a virus circulating in the team, which, according to the press, was giving us a lot of concern coming up to the Tour de France. In actual fact the whole team was at a training camp in the Pyrenees.

Sometimes, flu is code for doping.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Tom T. said:
The "<puts on tinfoil hat>" and "</tinfoil hat off>" should have tipped you off.

Alberto Legstrong, you could be a UCI chaperone--at least today :D--or the guy interpreting the blood profiles, Lance included. Heck, the latter would even have a coffee break with you.

Alberto has either:

*suffered very unfortunate flu at a very bad time (unlucky) OR
* simply doesn't want to ride the TT (fair enough) OR
* is up to no good (bad boy Bertie+)

(+For the non cognoscenti, "bad boy Bertie" = queuing with Frank, Andy at the Fuentes "gas" station--or with Fabian at the local RadioShack for a battery outlet).

It was a good catch by the forum to note the bad boy Bertie possibility. There's ample precedent.

I have no idea which it is, but agree it made no sense at all for him to try to win the Dauphine. ROFLMAO, this doesn't make him a gilded lilly, purer than the driven snow (if he's like any other human being, LOL). Part good; part bad.

Per below, maybe he has bad taste in cheese. Prefers prep. a la Camembert?:p Maybe he's cheesed off at the Spanish federation, the UCI, or Publicus?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Flu is VERY contagious, especially H1N1.

And it is always smart (and considerate) to STAY HOME from work if you have the Flu.

Is there a chance that Alberto has now infected some of his team mates?

Is that the reason Astana has yet to announce their Tour line-up?
Waiting to see who is healthy?

Polish said:
The Flu is VERY contagious, especially H1N1.

And it is always smart (and considerate) to STAY HOME from work if you have the Flu.

Is there a chance that Alberto has now infected some of his team mates?

Is that the reason Astana has yet to announce their Tour line-up?
Waiting to see who is healthy?

It's fear. And it has spread through the team like ebola. They are deathly afraid of the event they've been targeting all year. Deathly. If AC comes out of this in one piece and with a 3rd win, he will be the greatest TdF champion ever. Winning scared and with a scared sh*tless team? No one has ever done that. :D:rolleyes:

May 8, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
It seems he has a bit of the "flu". Amazing what those dirty needles will do to your health...

All we need is some pictures of him and the wise forum members should be able to diagnose exactly what is going on.