• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador Racing & Training in 2010

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Alberto starts racing at the Volta Ao Algarve on Wednesday. He's now riding on Specialized road & TT bikes. He'll be riding with trusted friends Hernandez, Noval & Navarro, new hire De La Fuente, and Grivko, Gourov, & Renev. It's also his first test against former teammates Kloden, Leipheimer, Paulhinho, and Vaitkus. So how do you think he's going to do?

After that, he's got a bit more time for preparation before racing 21 stages in 35 days, with Paris-Nice, Catalunya, and Pais Vasco. If he's not too tired, he might ride Fleche Wallone and Liege Bastogne Liege not to win, but to honor the events. Then he stops racing because of a bad allergy to poplar fluff, and comes back for the Dauphine Libere.

How do you think he's going to do?

Are you the same swordsman as before?

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Alberto starts racing at the Volta Ao Algarve on Wednesday. He's now riding on Specialized road & TT bikes. He'll be riding with trusted friends Hernandez, Noval & Navarro, new hire De La Fuente, and Grivko, Gourov, & Renev. It's also his first test against former teammates Kloden, Leipheimer, Paulhinho, and Vaitkus. So how do you think he's going to do?

After that, he's got a bit more time for preparation before racing 21 stages in 35 days, with Paris-Nice, Catalunya, and Pais Vasco. If he's not too tired, he might ride Fleche Wallone and Liege Bastogne Liege not to win, but to honor the events. Then he stops racing because of a bad allergy to poplar fluff, and comes back for the Dauphine Libere.

How do you think he's going to do?

You need a new thread for this?

Check the one called think before you post.

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I would ask you to take your own advice, but it has not been established that you can actually think.

this guy likes to follow me around sniffing my chair.

Can't remember the last time I started a thread.

It really depends on his form at this point in the year and the form of his teammates. Plus I'm curious how he handles the pressure. I want to see what he (AC) has to say just before the start of the race before I give a more definitive prediction.

Does anyone know who is in the car for Astana?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
It really depends on his form at this point in the year and the form of his teammates. Plus I'm curious how he handles the pressure. I want to see what he (AC) has to say just before the start of the race before I give a more definitive prediction.

Does anyone know who is in the car for Astana?

Not sure who is DS for the race is, but if Contador's winning before the final stage, expect JB to turn up and claim the win/race tactics :D

BYOP88 said:
Not sure who is DS for the race is, but if Contador's winning before the final stage, expect JB to turn up and claim the win/race tactics :D

LMAO!!! I actually wouldn't be surprised. Radio Shack hasn't had much to talk about this season (it's still early), so I could see him "forgetting" that AC is no longer under his leadership.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Why does everybody whine about it turning out into some Lance topic, while the haters start about it again after 5 posts...

I think he'll definately win Paris-Nice, because he's a champion and probably ate his hat after he lost last year. I think he won't win algarve because of wanting a better form for the event above. Anyway, algarve will be interesting though and I'm looking forward to it :).

ErmOkk said:
Why does everybody whine about it turning out into some Lance topic, while the haters start about it again after 5 posts...

I think he'll definately win Paris-Nice, because he's a champion and probably ate his hat after he lost last year. I think he won't win algarve because of wanting a better form for the event above. Anyway, algarve will be interesting though and I'm looking forward to it :).

It was a joke. Lighten up Francis. :p

I agree that he won't try to win the overall at the Algarvae, but I expect him to ride well and finish high in the overall. I'm not completely sold on his teammates yet and he could end up alone like he did at Paris-Nice (2009).

Still waiting to hear who will be the DS for this race. I hope Martinelli has the good sense to be in the car--he needs to be there for every stge race until he and AC have an established relationship during the race.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
It was a joke. Lighten up Francis. :p

I agree that he won't try to win the overall at the Algarvae, but I expect him to ride well and finish high in the overall. I'm not completely sold on his teammates yet and he could end up alone like he did at Paris-Nice (2009).

Still waiting to hear who will be the DS for this race. I hope Martinelli has the good sense to be in the car--he needs to be there for every stge race until he and AC have an established relationship during the race.

Hmm yea but I don't think the AC of 2010 will bonk again like in 2009. It's going to be a show off imo, letting everybody know that their chances for the TdF reduced to almost zero.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

Do you know how many lanquages Martinelli speaks?
Hopefully Spanish is in his repertoire...

Polish said:
Do you know how many lanquages Martinelli speaks?
Hopefully Spanish is in his repertoire...

Don't know, but apparently he and AC speak in Italian/Spanish. That's one of the benefits of knowing one of the romantic languages, the differences with the other romantic languages aren't that big (not like English to Spanish).

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Alberto is going to face a really good competition this year at the Volta- the star list includes some big names trying to get in early shape!!
I'm really looking forward to seeing this race:):)

Any live video in english? If not english, what is the live link anyways?

Thx

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Then he stops racing because of a bad allergy to poplar fluff, and comes back for the Dauphine Libere.

He has allergies, yes, but NOT to poplar fluff-- it's too big to be an allergen. A Google search on "poplar fluff allergy" produces lots of links about that. Contador's allergy is presumably to a specific type or types of pollen released by flowering plants and so the date is weather and climate specific which means that if he wanted to keep racing all he'd have to do is shift to another part of the planet with an earlier or later spring for awhile. He stops racing for a recovery spell before starting to rebuild for the Tour, imo.

Actually it's kind of amazing how many top cyclists do have pollen allergies-- well, then again maybe not, considering how much air they cycle through their lungs each year!:eek:

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
In a recent article at Astana Fans, it said that his problems coincide with the season when the European poplars release the fluff. I knew that he had an allergy & assumed they had it right. A few days later, I saw another interview where another Spanish rider, possibly Sammy Sanchez(?) said he was allergic to the same thing, which is why it stuck in my mind. But I don't know allergies.

Cycling News posted some info from the latest Contador press release, but skipped the part about his training and weight.

Can you compare your feelings with those of last year?

The sensations are good, but in 2009 I came from a stage in the U.S. where I worked very well and this year, however, has been a very bad weather in Madrid and I have not trained as I like. Anyway, this is the first race of the year and we should not pay too much importance.

Have you changed your training or have done it as previous years?

No, I have done more or less like other years, perhaps with more long trainings in 2009, with the idea to adjust a little more weight, because I\'m still 63,5 kg, 2 kg above the weight of the Tour , and you can feel that.

How about the course of the Volta ao Algarve 2010, it’s better or worse than last year?

It\'s great for doing a good training, but it is a little worse than 2009, because the time trial is shorter and completely flat, people told me. Last year was very hard and it allowed me to draw differences. This year, however, there are other riders with more posibilities on this course.
http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=297

There is also a new news story at the official website, which among other things gave the first mention I've seen of a prototype bike - it seems like there's definitely a TT bike, which surprises me, but it sounds like there's also a prototype road bike?

Alberto is very enthusiastic about his new brand of bike, Specialized. The American maker has offered him a prototype that is markedly “rigid, secure on descents and capable of responding to attacks.” There are still details to polish and new features to incorporate as the season progresses, but appearing in the Algarve will be the first version of the new time trial bike strongly backed by Specialized, who, not in vain, also supply the team of World Time Trial Champion Fabian Cancellara. Alberto is convinced that this machine will help him go a little faster when clad in the newly-designed Spanish Time Trial Champion kit that he’ll premiere in the Algarve.

http://www.albertocontador.com/noticias.detalle.php?id=132

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Are you the same swordsman as before?

Yes, I'm the same Wheel Gate, Plea For Integrity guy. I just added an avatar when I came back. My real name is John, and I'm from Southern Illinois, USA.

On the question of TV coverage - the race is excited because this year Eurosport is going to show twelve minute highlight segments three times a day. They hope that will go well and maybe next year there can be live coverage of the last hour of each stage.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I tweeted Specialized to ask if one or both of the bikes Alberto will ride this week actually are prototypes. They didn't reply, but posted a link to a new article that has some additional info but no mention of the bikes.

"Our team is strong and we have trained well," said Astana sports director Giuseppe Martinelli, "but to go to the first race and try to win is not easy. I hope that we are able to do well, continuing on the preparations we have had in the last two months."

"It's the first race and there is always the desire to get the season going," continued Martinelli, "but a lot of what Alberto is able to do will depend on the weather here. The course itself is hard, but not difficult enough to make big differences."

Portugal's weather over the next's week is forecasted to range from 15 to 18°C with partly cloudy skies and a chance of rain.

Martinelli joined Contador and Astana over the off-season to help its star rider achieve for his third Tour de France win this July. Though the two have spent a lot of time together, tomorrow will be the first time for Martinelli to direct his new rider in a race.

"I have a good-sized responsibility ahead of me," said Martinelli, "but it is one that I take on with pleasure because I know the team has good potential. We have a lot of work, but I am calm nonetheless."
http://iamspecialized.com/road/news...arations-have-come-together-for-algarve-start

TRENDING THREADS